1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The "Making Friends" Thread

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by IceCream, Dec 15, 2016.

1. IceCream

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi guys! :smilewave

So I thought I'd make a thread where newbies- or anyone really- can get to know people and maybe find a new internet friend, because I find that posts on the welcome forum only get so much attention.

I guess we could say a couple of things about ourselves and go from there?

I'm IceCream, and my main interests are reading and writing. I'd love to watch anime but I wouldn't know where to start!

2. AgenderMoose

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hiya, and welcome!

As a note to your anime interest, a starting point would really depend on what kind of things you like. Everyone has different interests in series, and your anime picks will want to correlate with that.

As for me, I'm AgenderMoose and I'm a trashy skeleton, but I've been here for a while soIthinkit'salreadywellestablishedthatI'mtrashehehehehehehsafdsf

3. AuroraBorealis

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi! I'm Aurora Borealis, I've been here on and off for the past few years, but only recently have I really gotten out of the "fun and games" section. I like writing as well, and I don't read very often but I do enjoy it when I get my hands on something I'm interested in.

4. killswitch0029

I'm killswitch. I've been here a while but I'm always down for a chat :slight_smile:

I'm a bit of a writer myself and am currently trying to overcome the hardship known as writer's block lol

5. IceCream

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi :icon_wink

I'm up for anything anime wise really, though I've heard especially good things about yuri on ice, have you seen it yourself?

Skeleton trash is clearly the best kind

---------- Post added 15th Dec 2016 at 04:53 PM ----------

Hey! Nice name by the way :smilewave

What kind of writing do you do? Currently I'm attempting poetry, which is a little different from what I usually write!

---------- Post added 15th Dec 2016 at 04:56 PM ----------

Hiya! (*hug*)

Isn't writer's block the worst? I've also been having some of that recently, so I put my current project on hiatus and switched to poetry for a change. Have you tried doing a different form of writing to see if that starts things off again? I commiserate, it really sucks!

6. AuroraBorealis

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks :slight_smile: I'm not creative enough for poetry haha I mostly write short stories, but I'd love to write a novel one day, If only I had the patience and time

7. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm Creativemind. I'm a writer, I like to draw, and I love original characters. I love video games- I have way too many to list them all, but they're mostly Nintendo with some RPGs and fighting games thrown in the mix. I love fish and reptiles. Anything else?

8. AgenderMoose

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Nope, haven't seen it myself, aside from bits and pieces but I have a lot of friends who are super into it. I'd say that it's a safe bet.

9. FrogCAT

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Howdy howdy howdy! I am the ALMIGHTYFROGCAT! but you can call me FrogCAT, or Sydney, or Syd, whatever floats your goat homeslice. I like me some Anime(especially RWBY), Punk Rock(Bad Religion, etc.), Ska(Streetlight Manifesto, Reel Big Fish, etc.), Computers(almost done with a new build actually), as well as anything DC or Marvel comics related, also, I'm a blue lantern and a grey Jedi.

10. killswitch0029

In the past I've mostly written realistic fiction stories but lately I've been wanting to try out writing fantasy. I like the idea of creating my own mini-universe but it's a lot more daunting than I initially thought it would and although I know it's not supposed to be real, I don't want it to stray too far into the realm of "completely unrealistic."

As for you mentioning poetry, it's nice to see someone out there trying their hand at it. I've written a couple poems myself. I like how there's virtually no rules or restrictions to it. :slight_smile:

11. FrogCAT

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people

I will give you my suggestions(just be warned my descriptions may not be the best),

If you like action as well as some good story I recommend:

RWBY: Fifteen year old Ruby Rose gets invited to a prestigious fighting school to learn how to better her skills and combat the Grimm(soulless monsters who are drawn towards negative emotion.) While there she is placed in a team of four members as all students are, and together they learn and grow as people and kick some butt along the way. (on youtube & netflix). Basically no blood/gore.

InuYasha: Is about a reincarnated ancient princess who falls down a well and emerges in ancient Japan where she finds out there is a ancient jewel in her wrist, which is then torn out and later shattered by an arrow she shoots, then she teams up with a half demon to find all the pieces. (on netflix). Some blood/gore.

Blood+: Anemic amnesiac Saya Otonashi finds out she has the power to kill monsters, using a special sword, after being attacked by one. Can't say too much more without spoiling things. (Not on netflix unfortuantely, probably on a few anime streaming sites). A lot of blood/gore.

If you want some slice of life/Drama then I'd recommend:

NANA: Two girls both named Nana meet on a train to Tokyo, they are pretty much polar opposites. Nana Osaki, a sarcastic Punk Rocker with a cruel sense of humor and a good heart. And Nana Komatsu, a preppy hopeless romantic who loves to cook. The two come to live together and both hilarious and heart breaking antics ensue. Really funny, but also very sad.

Clannad: High School student Tomoya Okazaki meets a strange girl called Nagisa Furukawa who wants to join the school's drama club, alas there isn't one, So they make their own! You might die of sadness.

Ouran High School Host Club: Haruhi Fujioka, while trying to find a quiet place to read, stumbles upon the Third Music Room, a place where the Ouran Academy Host Club, a group of six male students, gathers to entertain female "clients." She then breaks a vase and has to repay the host club by being their errand boy, as they mistake her for one, one by one though they figure it out, then she joins the club as a full time host. Fun times all around, a few serious events, even some sad, but overall funny the whole way through.

I think they're all fantastic! Though for Clannad you might need a few boxes of tissues depending on how easily you cry. Oh, also Clannad: After Story(double the amount of tissue boxes).

12. KayJay

I'm KayJay. I like video games, computers, painting my nails, eating grossly unhealthy food, singing, and of course bears... of the ursine or human variety :wink:

I struggle with being social, especially in real life. So making friends online sounds nice.

13. AgenderMoose

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I approve of the suggestions of RWBY, Inuyasha, and Ouran, heck yessss.

The others I haven't seen, but I bet they're good.

14. ghostly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hello! You can call me ghostly (or Elizabeth since that's my actual name.)
    I'm closeted and have social anxiety so I don't really have any irl friends.
    I like reading, t.v shows, and philosophy. I really love music, mostly generic pop but some other stuff too. I also find it hard to describe myself which is why things I say about myself seem pretty vague haha.

15. AnAtypicalGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Might as well chime in. I'm Stef, and I'm also a writer of novels (it's pretty refreshing to see so many writers around here, since I barely know any in person). I'm a self-taught artist and although I'm generally not into sports, I love martial arts. I like a range of music genres from epic soundtrack music to alternative rock. I'm also a huge fan of Marvel.

16. IceCream

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Short stories are cool! :slight_smile: I haven't written any myself, always trying to write a novel haha- I'm actually going to "study" creative writing at university, so hopefully with support a novel will become reality! Have you heard of NaNoWrimMo?

---------- Post added 16th Dec 2016 at 09:42 AM ----------

Hi Creativemind!

Seems like there are a lot of writers on EC! I'm jealous, I wish I could draw haha. What Nintendo games would you recommend? I've played Mario Kart et al but I could do with a new game to play :icon_wink reptiles are awesome, do you own any? My friend has a pet lizard, but I've had to make do with a hamster!

---------- Post added 16th Dec 2016 at 09:44 AM ----------

I'll let you know how I find it!

---------- Post added 16th Dec 2016 at 10:00 AM ----------

Ooh, fantasy! I can't really offer any help there as I'm more a fan of realistic fiction myself, but I'd say that tbh as long as you're having fun writing it, it doesn't matter how realistic it is, especially for a first draft that you can edit later? Do you have any favourite fantasy authors you could use as inspiration?

Regarding poetry, I have a *thing* of making my poetry rhyme, which limits me a little, but I agree that the lack of rules is nice! At university I'll have to write certain types of poems though, like a sestina, and they each have their own rules to follow in terms of structure (and repetition, for a sestina) ... well, I'm up for a challenge!

17. IceCream

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Wow thank you so much for going into all this detail, your descriptions are excellent! (*hug*)

You've reminded me that I saw Ouran a few years ago with a friend! I loved the characters in it, especially the twins :lol:

I love RWBY too! Funnily enough I never really counted it as an anime, of course it is one! :eusa_doh: how are you finding the new series? *whispers* do you ship Bumblebee?

InuYasha sounds really original, I also love Japan so I'll have to check that out! NANA and Clannad both look great for different reasons, thanks for the heads up about the tissues! (*hug*) I look forward to dying of sadness :icon_wink

---------- Post added 16th Dec 2016 at 10:11 AM ----------

Welcome to the thread (&&&)

What video games do you like? :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 16th Dec 2016 at 10:16 AM ----------

Hi ghostly/ Elizabeth!

Most of my irl friends have moved away for university and we've lost touch, so I don't have many either- hence this thread! Let's hope we both make some friends on here (&&&)

What kind of philosophy do you like? I studied it at A Level (religion, theory of mind, whether we can have knowledge without experience, and ethics, to be precise) so I'm always up for some philosophical discussion if you're interested!

---------- Post added 16th Dec 2016 at 10:20 AM ----------

Hey! :smilewave

I agree, I was pretty pleasantly surprised by all the writers on here!

what martial arts do you like? I understand that there are a lot!

Epic soundtrack music is so motivating! Marvel is pretty cool isn't it? :icon_wink

18. AnAtypicalGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    [/COLOR]
    Hey! :smilewave

I agree, I was pretty pleasantly surprised by all the writers on here!

what martial arts do you like? I understand that there are a lot!

Epic soundtrack music is so motivating! Marvel is pretty cool isn't it? :icon_wink[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm pretty sure there are hundreds of martial arts out there. The ones I do are jiujitsu and kickboxing. I also do fencing and although that's not technically a martial art, I figured it was worth mentioning because it's a fighting sport.

I love epic music because of its energy, and I often play it when I'm writing. I find the music really inspiring. You mentioned that you write too, what sorts of things do you write about?

And yes, Marvel is awesome. I love its complexity and how all the characters are so unique, as well as how the universe combines in spectacular ways. Not to mention the stories.

---------- Post added 16th Dec 2016 at 12:25 PM ----------

@IceCream : That came out strange, I must have deleted something. Oh well, you can tell where my reply begins so it should be fine.

19. backdrop

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well .... I am a furry . I like to be creative ( even tho I am not ) . Like to be energetic , crazy , and just completely awesome :grin:

Have any questions . Quote and I should answer ^^.

20. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Hello again. I don't know if I'm the best artist in the world either but I try my best.
    There are a lot of games I play. I love all of the classics, Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Kirby, and so on. Some of my favorites are less talked about like Banjo-Kazooie (technically owned by rare now) and Earthbound. I also love non-nintendo games like Mass Effect and Dragon Age (Dragon Age is my favorite game). Depends on what you're looking for.

I have a female leopard gecko named Hazel, so yes!