1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Obsessions

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Canterpiece, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Admittedly, I can be somewhat obsessive at the best of times. Sometimes I even get told off for being so particular, but that doesn’t really stop me. I guess I’ve always been this way really, although now and again I develop new obsessions. My obsessions tend to be verbal, such as whenever I leave a room where I was sitting down and had my stuff (like my coat, bags…etc.) I have to tuck my chair in a few times (usually twice, but sometimes three times) and say “Boom, say what? Alright, ok, let’s do this” to the chair. I’m not really sure how this one started, but if I don’t then it plays on my mind for the rest of the day.

When I see a mirror, I often pause and say “I don’t give a damn”. Just me on that? :/ Also, I find myself saying “Amen, alright, ok, let’s do this*” in my head a lot, even though I’m not even religious. I mean, I used to be but I’m not anymore, so it’s more of a way of reaffirming this to myself? It’s not like I don’t believe myself, I’ve just gotten in the habit of doing this for some reason.

I check car doors, taps and ovens a lot, for some reason I keep thinking I’m going to burn the house one day or flood it. It’s not like I’m careless with these things, my mind just overthinks things I think. Whenever I have an uncomfortable thought, I tend to kick the air a lot when no one is around.

There are also other things that I do that are somewhat obsessive, but don’t bother me as much when I don’t do them than the others. I like doing simplistic, repetitive tasks whenever I’m stressed, but I guess most people do that…right? Usually stuff like just twirling a piece of string around my finger a few times, I find it can help.

People have suggested that I might be OCD, but I tend not to take this to heart as I realise that OCD is an incredibly misunderstood disorder, one that many think they have (or joke about having) but actually don’t. I haven’t been to any kind of therapy for this, so I’m not going to jump to any conclusions.

For the most part, my obsessions don’t get in the way of things (except get annoying and tiresome for me, to repeat the same familiar phrases again and again in my head all the time, and sometimes disturbing thoughts- especially at night and in the evenings).

Does anyone else get obsessive over things? What do you obsess about? :eusa_thin

*I notice quite a few of my obsessions end with the same phrase, hmm...

2. AlexanderDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I'm getting a drink for myself, usually iced tea, I have to put 5 ice cubes in it. Always 5, any more or less and I go nuts. I can't do it. It's 5 ice cubes, or no ice cubes. Idek how this started but I guess it's a thing. And for some reason after I'm done sewing, I have to check the needle to make sure it's in its place 5 times as well, because I have this intense fear of accidentally swallowing needles and other pointy objects. Idk it's really weird

#2 AlexanderDragon, Dec 15, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  3. Rodessenth

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am obsessed with speedcubing, other than that I am kinda obsessed with.........feet.

4. AnAtypicalGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I also get into trouble for how particular I am about... well, everything. I'm quite obsessive over the setup of my surroundings, eg. during exams I always need my pencil case to the left, and I need to order the rest of my stationery in a very specific way to my right. I get quite anxious if things aren't set out in the exact right way (even an object a few centimetres out of line will irk me) to the point that people "joke" about me being OCD. I also need to time things precisely (eg. I always leave for school at 7.37 AM) and I get stressed if somebody holds me back or interrupts me during an activity, subsequently setting me behind schedule. Moreover I set out all my food in the cupboards and fridge in a very specific way. I do check taps quite a lot, but only because my hearing's frustratingly sharp and I can hear a dripping kitchen tap from the other side of my flat. I cannot deal with repetitive sounds.

5. RenegadeAce

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I always have to place everything in a pattern and feel the need to repeat words and numbers in my head an even number of times i dislike odd number's.

6. Glowing Eyes

Yeah I have quite a few that I'm recently starting to break one by one.

7. Blood Elf

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Same! Aha.