1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Christmas and holiday thread

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PatrickUK, Dec 17, 2016.

1. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay, I thought I would create a single thread where we can talk about Christmas/New Year (or the holidays if you prefer a more secular word). What are your plans? What are you hoping for? Do you like Christmas/the holidays, or do you hate it? Why? Have you already decorated/lit up the neighbourhood? :slight_smile:

Let's talk Christmas!

2. AlamoCity

I remember the last few years there was a dedicated section on EC for the holidays, but this will do :lol:.

For Christmas Eve/Day my family is spending it at a hotel downtown. It's an historic small boutique hotel and it's owned by the owner's of where my dad works (separate business), and we almost always end up getting a room there and having the run of the place (no guests at this time, usually).

Personally, I like the holidays, but the stress of it sometimes detracts from the fun. Further, I feel the "holidays" are one of those times where the ramp up is more "enjoyable" than the actual event. The whole festive season is pretty nice but Christmas Day means the holidays are basically over and the days are dark and dreary and there's nothing to look forward to.

We don't usually decorate, but my sister does have a tree in her room with lights and ornaments. Personally, I collect glass and crystal and sterling silver ornaments and have a small "tree" that only holds ornaments and hang them there for display. One day, when I have room, I will decorate a real tree. I will say that I do enjoy buying Christmas items after Christmas at a discount.

For presents, I'm basically done. I just need to buy my dad a cologne and I will be done with all my shopping. I just need to wrap them up.

3. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Family is coming to my house Sunday for Christmas so I got selected to cook. :frowning2:

garlic roasted tenderloin of beef with wild mushroom demi glaze
    scalloped potatoes
    green been hot dish
    homemade lefsa
    apple crisp and ice cream

That's the plan anyway! Worked in a French kitchen (as French as Minnesota can get) for awhile in my youth.

Happy Holidays everyone!

4. Cinis

Cinis Guest

I love Christmas because I love finding fitting presents for people...on the downside I'm one of those people who are completely hyper while waiting because I'm extremely impatient.

5. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't wait for Christmas! Loads of the houses on my street are lit up: it looks like the Blackpool illuminations haha. As per family tradition, I'm going to be at my house in the day and we're going to have a buffet: none of us particularly like "Christmas" food so we just choose whatever we like. In the evening, we go to my aunt's house and the adults all get a bit drunk.

6. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It'll probably just be an average day with the family. We usually visit my Mom's side of the family on Christmas eve and open gifts from them then. Then we open remaining gifts at home.

I have a love/hate relationship with the holidays. There's a lot of stress involved when it comes to gift giving and managing money. That's my only complaint though.

7. AuroraBorealis

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My family usually spend Christmas Eve at my house, but this year we're going to my grandma's. We always play games and win prizes on Christmas Eve. Then on Christmas morning I open presents with my parents, siblings, nieces, and nephews then for lunch we go to my grandma's to open presents and play games with the more extended family.

I love the holidays except for my house being overly crowded and spending money

8. Lynz

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hate xmas. With a passion. BAH HUMBUG. Lol

xx

9. Kaden216

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the plan thus far is for my brother (and possibly his girlfriend) to come visit my roommate and I around Christmas, and then we'll Skype with the rest of my family (who live in a different state) and play board games. :icon_bigg Last year, we played Trivial Pursuit over Skype, and it worked out quite well!

We usually do a gift exchange, but we decided not to this year. So, I'm getting myself a couple Christmas gifts, including a new board game and a new purse. :lol: My roommate and I are getting each other Pokemon Moon and Sun for Christmas, though. Excited about that!

I actually just finished getting my Christmas decorations up last night. :icon_razz They look so nice!

10. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My only plan is to survive the day without offing myself. Not that that would be any huge loss...

Christmas is the point of the year I tend to feel depression the most, and it's the point of the year when I feel the most lonely and isolated.

11. Lynz

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I hear u BMC

P.S. "Straight as a corkscrew" LOVE IT. USING IT! :slight_smile:

12. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We will get shitfaced, chase each other naked through the street brandishing kitchen knives, and at least one of us will be getting buried under the floorboards! Or not. Xmas and New Year's Day will just be regular days. I've already given out all of the presents except for my dad's, so am ahead of schedule

13. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    On Christmas Day, we're all going to go to the nursing home and listen to my grandmother babble about topics that only make sense to her (Dementia) "Because it's Christmas and she's your grandmother," says my mom. Trying to decide whether or not to put up a fight over that.

14. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm working both Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve. My girlfriend is angry at me because I promised her I'd come to her friends' NYE party and had to cancel when I found out I'm working. I don't really have any plans yet for Christmas. My uncle usually invites us over to his house to open presents and eat a big dinner. I want to make the most of it this year, since next Christmas my family and I will probably not be speaking.