1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

gaydar

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by NoPlaceLikeHomo, Dec 19, 2016.

1. NoPlaceLikeHomo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OPINIONS: Is "gaydar" real? Is it just based on stereotypes? What do you think?

my problem is I always mix up my "gaydar" with my "please-be-gay-dar":lol:

2. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think It's harder to tell between women...I mean, a lot of lesbians are super femme, straight women can enjoy flirting with women as a joke, lesbians can avoid flirting with women because they are shy, etc. It just goes on and on. I've never been able to tell.

3. RedEyeFlash

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It isn't real. People have a pathetic need to say "I knew it all along" when a person comes out. Nobody knows for sure and people need to stop claiming that they have "gaydar" and unless you have a romantic interest in somebody, their sexual orientation is none of your business so stop trying to out somebody who clearly isn't ready to come out. All you are doing is making the process harder for them.

4. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've seen too much to think it's not real. I won't pretend to understand how it works, but it does. It's kind of uncanny sometimes.

5. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've seen too much to think it's not real. I won't pretend to understand how it works, but it does. It's kind of uncanny sometimes.

6. AuroraBorealis

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hmm..I don't really think it is. I think we usually go by stereotypes and say "gaydar"

7. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think it's definitely real

8. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm pretty sure it is real.

People think gaydar is all about the stereotypes, but it's so much more than that. Look at who a guy is looking at. Does he turn around when he sees a hot guy? Does he talk about girls(maybe a bit too much)? Has he been single for a very long time, always hiding why?

There are some clues that can help you figure it out without looking at their interests or clothing style.

9. WhiteWinter

I now know that gaydar doesn't exist. I made an assumption, threw my heart out, and got hurt.

10. Silver Snow

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I believe "gaydar," in a sense, is real. It's merely not what everyone thinks it is. It's not like you're brain has a built in homosexual-detector.

Rather, I believe our gaydar is the result of a subconscious conclusion the brain comes to using data we aren't even aware we're gathered. The brain is continuously searching for patterns to learn from and make life easier. Stereotypes play a big role, such as mannerisms, walk, tone of voice, style, physical features, or preferences etc. Things it learned to categorize with gay people.

Stereotypes exists for a reason, so sometimes we're right and our "gaydars" were spot on! Other times... Well, our brains were only making a hypothesis with the information it had stored concerning the topic. Sometimes we are wrong. Not everyone fits a stereotype.

I think as long as we don't attempt to out someone based on these assumptions, and keep our opinions to ourselves (at least until confirmed by that person) there is nothing wrong with it.

But anyway, yeah, I think, in a different kind of way, gaydar is real.

11. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Like I said, It's easier to tell with men, harder to tell with women. Part of that has to do with the fact that our society accepts masculineish women more than feminine men, and it also accepts the fact that a woman can sleep with women while being 100% straight, but not with men. So with women, It's far harder to tell. Even flirting doesn't say much because it could just be a friendly straight woman that's joking around.

NOBODY would be able to tell that I'm gay by looking at me. I have long hair and wear girly tops. I'm not attracted to random women I don't know, only women that are my friends. I'm comfortable enough about my sexuality that I can talk about het or yaoi pairings and even draw dicks for fun. I never flirt with women because I'm too shy. I'm uncomfortable being flirted with by random women because I'm conservative. I don't make eye contact with "cute girls" because I'm autistic and find it hard to make eye contact with anyone.

So I'd like to see what people assume me as? I think most people assume that I'm completely asexual when they come across me.

12. meistro

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    sometimes it's easy to tell and sometimes it's not,,i also think some people are better at telling then others but on the same note unless that person tells you how can you be sure you were right about them being gay or not

13. Shadowgirl37

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Its definitly real. I told one of my friends who is queer "here I go to spend a weekend with my conservative catholic grand parents"(dont worry all went well) and she was like "I knew you were gay!" so its def real

14. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think "gaydar" ultimately comes down to intuition, which certainly is real.