1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So I'm 31 and..

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Just1Dude, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Just1Dude

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I decided to get braces. I have had them on for 7 1/2 months and I need them for a "year"

I got new wires on today and had to have some brackets adjusted and wow that pain, lol.

For those of you that have/had braces (adults or not), what are your go to foods? I'm having trouble wanting to eat and I'm down to one meal a day. I'm still trying to eat "clean" and I have no imagination when it comes to food. Plus I am allergic to quite a few things.

Any recipes etc.., for those days that the braces aren't trying to kill you?

As far as allergies:
    Onions (yes, I know they are in everything)
    I have to be careful with anything "acidic" so.. tomatoes, kiwi, pineapple(this one makes me cry), oranges etc.., I can have some but only a very small amount.

Anyway, if you all have any cooking ideas that would work with brace pain just send them my way! :smilewave

2. I think i must be the only person who has had braces that hasnt had the awful 'omg i cant eat the pain' the day after they got tightened.

Simple foods like soups and mashed potato should be okay.
    Those fruit puree thingys that are in a pouch.
    You could make some chilli and cook it on low for a few hours then it shouldnt require much chewing as it would be sort of mushy.
    Ooh mushy peas.
    Ice cream but made with frozen bananas instead.
    Stiry fry cooked for alooooong time so it is mushy.

I am just listing things now lol sorry.

3. Just1Dude

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Haha that is okay! I really appreciate the list.

This is the first time it has been this hard on me. I just got a reverse wire taken off and a "normal" one put back on. I am surprised because the pain showed up like one hour after the new wires today, but hopefully the pain will go down in the normal amount of time.

Now that I think of it.. I totally should have rescheduled until after Christmas. Oop!

4. Love is love

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I just got my braces off! im FREE! :lol:
    anyways, i just ate Raman, bananas, soup ( can you eat soup?) and steamed vegetables.
    -Love
    bye y'all

5. Dachs

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    For the first day or two after getting stuff tightened, I didn't really eat properly. Remember that it's healthier to eat something than nothing at mealtimes -- if all you can eat and want to eat is something unhealthy, have that. Your body will cope and you should be back to normal soon. Yoghurt, soup (blended, otherwise bits can get horribly stuck in the wires), and mashed potato (nicer if you add mustard, cheese, or gravy) are obvious. My main advice would be to have lots of rice. My brother often has rice two or three times in a day. Basmati rice, two parts water to one part rice, add a pinch of salt, boil with the lid off until water is level with rice (about five minutes depending on your stove), simmer with the lid on until the water is absorbed (about fifteen minutes), eat. It's white rice and quite soft, also quite cheap. (For other readers of this thread, it gets extra flavour if you fry some finely chopped onions in the pan beforehand and mix them with the rice.) You can eat it with lots of things: daal or some other mushy lentil thing, tinned tuna mixed with white sauce (and optionally peas or other veg, if you feel up to it), thick gravy, whatever.

Leftover rice can be stored and reheated just fine if you put it in the freezer right after your meal, otherwise it can make you very sick. When reheating, you can put a plate in the microwave straight from frozen with whatever else you're eating, or you can heat it in a large pan/wok and break an egg into it and stir everything up (add soy sauce for flavour). The egg gets cooked and coats the rice without leaving chunks.

Also, baked beans on (not very toasted) toast. Somehow I've always found that easy to eat no matter what my dental troubles.

6. Just1Dude

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow thank you Dachs!

You are right about eating something. One thing I didn't expect to go with braces was appetite. I also had no idea about freezing your rice. I would always end up tossing my extra away. Those sound like some great and tasty ideas. Thank you

Congrats on getting your braces off Love is Love! I bet it is nice to be free!

7. Kaden216

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was in braces for a solid 6-7 years in middle/high school, so I know the pain you're going through. :frowning2: I know that pain meds like Aleve (naproxen sodium) tend to work better on dental pain, so you might try that. Aside from that, as others have said, very soft foods work best. If you really can't chew anything, you could always try Carnation Instant Breakfast. It's got a lot of protein and such to keep you full longer, and it comes in plenty of tasty flavors. It was my go-to after I got my wisdom teeth taken out.