1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does Anyone Think LGBT+ is genetic?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Spectralhaze, Dec 24, 2016.

1. Spectralhaze

Becuase, seriously, I'm Polysexual, my bro is a demiboy, and my youngest brother might just be my sister. Also, if one twin is gay or lesbian, than the other twin has like an 80% chance of being gay/lesbian too! What do you think?

2. Blood Elf

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, I don't. No one on either side of my family is trans (besides me). None are even bi/gay/etc..

#2 Blood Elf, Dec 24, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
  3. guitar

It's not genetic. But there is something called the birth order effect whereby with each male born to a mother, each child has a slightly greater chance of being gay than the last (so afirst born boy would be like 10%, but the 5th born boy would have like a 20% chance of being gay).

If you're interested in a scientific perspective on this, check out Simon Levay's book "Gay, Straight, and the reason why."

4. guitar

It's not genetic. But there is something called the birth order effect whereby with each male born to a mother, each child has a slightly greater chance of being gay than the last (so afirst born boy would be like 10%, but the 5th born boy would have like a 20% chance of being gay).

If you're interested in a scientific perspective on this, check out Simon Levay's book "Gay, Straight, and the reason why."

5. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    ^So is that the reason why I'm non-heterosexual and my twin brother is straight? He was born before me by several minutes :wink:

In all seriousness, I doubt that there is a "gay gene", but there me some genetic factors that contribute to an increased likelihood of developing a sexuality that is not heterosexual (as I do not believe it would be in-born).

6. NoPlaceLikeHomo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There have been several scientific studies done to suggest that genetics play a bigger role in determining sexuality than if you're right or left handed.

7. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know enough about genetics to properly give my opinion. However, I can say that there is much about the brain (and hence sexuality) that is unknown. So while we haven't discovered a "gay gene" and perhaps never will, there is likely to be a neurological explanation that we haven't addressed yet. But like others said, correlation does not necessitate causation and there is little scientific proof asserting that being gay is inherently genetic.

Being transgender is an entirely different thing than sexuality, however. There are tentative findings in neuroscience suggesting a biological basis.

8. anthracite

anthracite Guest

If it was genetic we would have died out. I like the hormone theory. You're AFAB and get too much T while being still a fetus you become a lesbian. You get way too much T, your neurological sex becomes male. And the other way round.

9. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  10. andimon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The "multiple brothers" theory checked out on me, so I guess that one has to have at least a grain of truth. I don't really know what causes non-heterosexuality, but it's got to be a combination between genetics and environment.

11. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nah, I don't think it's really genetic. I have 3 people in the family, including me, that are openly gay, and probably another 4 being "bisexual tendencies". my family has a habit of popping out a lot of kids

12. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What we know is, there does seem to be a heritability pattern of some sort. But it's not absolute. (I hope people realize that trying to generalize information from their own family isn't remotely scientific and is pretty meaningless.)

Identical twin studies are a good example: If one identical twin is gay, the likelihood the other is gay is about 50%. But there's no such increase in fraternal twins, so that pretty much rules out the "similar nurture" factor. And I believe there's some (older) data looking at this among twins separated at birth, that shows the same results, again pointing more to nature than nurture.

Likewise, there are studies that seem to indicate extended families where, say, there are lots of gay cousins, and others with none or almost none, again implying some sort of heritable characteristic.

And as has been pointed out, there are birth-order studies that seem to indicate an increased susceptibility among later-born children in the same family.

One of the most intriguing associations I've seen is the pattern of increased left-handedness among gay people; about 10% of the population on the whole is gay, while between 20 and 35% of gay people are left-handed (depending on whose study you read.)

So I think it's safe to say there's some sort of inheritance and/or birth order pattern going on; it clearly isn't just nurture. But I don't think there is yet a clear answer.

13. RMember1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I suspect epigenetics contribute.

14. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Chip, Where could reading material be found on this subject? I remember Christian that tried to "fix" me said I never bonded with my father....

15. MaoKingofcats

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes this. I'm pan polyamorous and my aunt is gay.

16. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes. Almost everything about us has a genetic component.

17. Shadowgirl37

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think so. In my family I am the only LGBT+ person.

18. lesbian188

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    yeah. i mean, probably. it's definitely not dependent on how you're raised, considering i was raised in a homophobic environment.

19. anthracite

anthracite Guest

The twin studies could also be a support for the hormone theory.

20. Cinis

Cinis Guest

This, particularly for the T part. ( If I remember correctly the chances of both twins being trans is even significantly higher than both being gay etc. (although numbers in these studies tend to vary so...))

Generally I'd say that it's definitely something biological but it's unlikely to be purely genetical.
    As for the example of your family you gave: I highly doubt that the LGB part is biologically related to the T part as both affect completely different things.
    The T is part due to people being perceived as part of the LGB either prior or past transitioning due to the nature of their situation, if that makes any sense.