1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

People from London

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by nisomer, Jul 7, 2005.

1. nisomer

To any people here from the UK, or London especially, I just want to say my heart is with you.

2. hawkeye

wow did i ever make a mistake. I guess thats what i get for not watching tv. This is an absolutely terrible attack! 4 bombs and 2 unexploded ones if i remember right. absolutely terrible. my heart and prayers goes to everyone in london.

#2 hawkeye, Jul 7, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2005
  3. nisomer

No, there were 4 terror attacks on London today, if you want to know more just go to any news website.

4. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

5. confusedkid

confusedkid Guest

I second that. We watched the Live BBC video stream on our final day of class today. All my sympathy to the people of London and the United Kingdom. I look at the video of Kings Cross station and still can't believe it... I must have gone through that station dozens of times when I was in London... absolutely incredible.

-CK

6. nisomer

Yeah I know what you mean. I went to London last spring break, and then after hearing and looking at the news, it was like "wow, I was on that train."

7. goratrix

Back when I was in london I used to travel with cirlce line a lot... and I specially spent a lot of time in Kings Cross. I am shocked something like this can happen in the world. I hate that things like this can happen, and I don't understand why they should?

All my heart is with you... and those 38 people.

8. hawkeye

Yea, i was there too, and probably on each of those lines, and also on tour busses. Its kid of wierd to realize that that could have happened while i was there. I couldn't imagine what it must be like. This isnt nessicarily like the trade tower plane crashes. It doesnt take a load of preparation to bring ceramic knives on to a plane and threaten everyone's life until you get what you want. But to coordinate bombs, thats amazing. Havent heard about what kind of bombs it might have been, but a bomb is sure a heck of a lot harder to make than a ceramic knife. The only thing that strikes me is that the attacks didnt seem to single out a location or a person/group of people. It was an attack on the transportation system. Don't have enough time to think this out right now, so what do you think could have been the motivation for this?

9. nisomer

What is the motivation behind all terrorism? To create fear. They want to make us fearful because they hate us. They hate our way of life, and one way to strike everyone in the hearts, is through something like this. And it makes us think, are we safe going anywhere? Are we on passanger airplanes? Are we safe riding a mass transit bus? Are we safe riding our subways, or lightrails, or lubes? Are we even safe in our own homes? It is fear my friend. Fear at it's greatest. And the day you know the terrorists have won, is the day that you are don't leave your own home because of a certain fear linguring inside you.

10. confusedkid

confusedkid Guest

Not just to create fear, but kill people. You want to know how we can be so certain that this was an act of terrorism carried out by al-Qaeda as opposed to the IRA or ETA? Because those terrorist groups called in their threats before the bombs went off, usually giving police just enough time to evacuate an area. THEIR point was to create fear and act for political change. 4 bombs going off with no warning, blowing up a train station and planes flying into buildings isn't about creating fear; it's about killing people.

-CK

11. hawkeye

maybe this sounds stupid, but there must be some motivation to create fear. people dont just want other to fear them for no reason. The must have some goal that they are trying to accomplish. I dunno, I guess it could be that they are mad at us for treating them unfairly. Like I read that in Saudi Arabia the government sells the oil and then all of the money goes to the royal family. So in effect, everyone hates the royal family, but they also hate us currently. The reason they hate us is because our government allows their government to do whatever they want with the money(for example, we could say that we will not buy unless the money is used to fund something for the people), and of course, our government is to scared to give them an oppertounity to stop selling oil to us. Ahh, i got to stop before i get this to political.

12. Micah

I'm going to London to visit my brother in exactly 1 week (yes he's ok, he had the day off). Anyway, should be interesting. Hopefully that's the end of it all.