1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your City/Town

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by davo-man, Apr 7, 2009.

1. davo-man

Little town, it's a quiet village. Every day like the one before. Little town, full of little people waking to say.....

G'DAY!

I was discussing last night with a couple of people which of the great Aussie cities was the best *cough* Adelaide *cough*. This got me to thinking that most people probably think their city/town is the best, which led me to thinking about why this was. Why do you think your city is the greatest?

Personally, I love Adelaide for a myriad of reasons:

• I love how the city is so compact. Yes, that's a pretty way of saying small, but it also means that I can walk from every point in the CBD to any other place within a half hour or so
    • I love that every time you go out, whether it be to the shops, to work, to clubs etc, you WILL see someone you know. There's no doubt about it. It's usually awesome...unless you run into someone you didn't want to see again hehe :grin:
    • I love the Mall's Balls. Yes, our main mall has balls
    • Our O-Bahn is the shizz. It gets from one of the furthest parts of suburbia to the CBD in less than 7 minutes...I've timed it :grin:
    • It's so green. Like, most places you go, the streets have trees on the sides, and there are parks everywhere. The Torrens River flows through the city and right through suburbia, providing a river (and surrounding parklands) for much of the population

So, why do you love the city/town you live in? Note: This should not become a slagging match about which Aussie town is better, cos that would just suck

2. Greggers

Vancouver.

I dont even need to defend it, its THAT amazing of a city.

3. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

The reason I like my town is because of the scenery; the people are all snobs.

Image 1
    Image 2
    Image 3

4. xadude

This is funny! I don't like my town at all xD

5. SAGUY84

SAGUY84 Guest

LMAO, now tell everyone about our bad points!

6. Shevanel

Hicksville

-i think the name is enough... lol, jk I actually rather love my town. its totally not a "Hick" ville at all. but its rather awesome. Long Island as a whole is rather awesome.

Buffalo

- Not so awesome at all. Luckily 1 month till i'm gone forever.

7. davo-man

...Pluuuuuus, it's mentioned in RENT! "You can take the girl out of Hicksville, but you can't take the Hicksville out of the girl" :grin:

Also, there are nooo bad points to Adelaide :grin:

8. Ben

Ben

Hmmm I mostly dislike my village, but there are bits I like:

• Nothing bad happens - granted, nothing good happens either.
    • The people aren't nasty - most are retired and old, slightly boring. But there aren't any chavs here.
    • People smile - My least favourite thing about the city is that people don't acknowledge your existence. in my village if you walk past another person you might stop and have a chat, and maybe pass them again. I used to walk past one lady when walking the dog on a regular basis. Despite her being triple my age, we built up a peculiar friendship. Possibly that's because it's so rare to see a person out in the fields all you can do is rejoice.
    • The grass is greener - We have rolling fields around here, it's very green. Too bad I have hay fever.
    • Variety - Every house is different really. My house in parts goes back 500+ years, and have been extended on over the centuries. The houses in this area have a lot of character, and aren't clones of each other spanning for miles shoved into a tiny space.

9. SAGUY84

SAGUY84 Guest

ONE way express way? need i say more.....:rolleyes:

10. Dave

I like my hometown Sea Lake because:
    • It's small
    • Everyone knows everyone else
    • Practically everyone are friends, so there's always someone looking out for you
    • 90% of my family (from both sides) are there
    • The neccessities (supermarket, newsagency, bank, public facilities) are there
    • There's a lake (rare in the region) that is nearby, that will soon be refilled

I like Bendigo because:
    • While it's a city, it still has a country feel
    • It's got a decent club scene
    • It's possible to get a good (if not better) education than most AU cities

11. Amy

Amy

Livermore, California
    I think it sucks.
    Some people like it.
    It's really boring.
    Unless you drink wine or love...um, wine.
    It's really pretty sometimes, though.
    There are an incredible amount of stupid people.

Yea.

12. Mr Bojangles

I don't like Dubai, so I'll do my 'home' town: Muscat in Oman.

It's got some cracking scenery: You're trapped between the dramatic mountains and the emerald waters of the Indian Ocean

My house is in Qurum Heights, which has quite an exoctic feel tbh, it's built into the side of a hill.

It's a very quaint city. For the capitol of a Natural Gas Rich nation, the city's very chilled. Nobody rushes anywhere, and it's nice and relaxed. The locals are friendly too.

The Shawarma's are the best in the world.

NEED I SAY MORE?

13. Stuie

Melbourne, Australia

We have Connex, the most hated company in the entire Greater Metropolitan region.

We have the best drinking water in the entire world.

We have really really nice parks surrounding the city.

We have a great arts scene, a really good (although does depend on the day) orchestra and the VCA.

We have TRAMS! Especially the irritating W-Class trams that always break down in front of other trams and prevent you from getting home!

14. olides84

The city I live in...make a guess...is really great I think.

It's got hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of bars and restaurants and cafes and clubs, filled with locals and tourists.

It's got some amazing architecture, like a 15th century cathedral, the main square, even the train station.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some cool history - the home of the Flemish painters like Rubens and VanDyck. They even held the summer Olympics here...in 1920. It's the 2nd largest port of Europe and the diamond capital of the world.

It even has a Frietkotmuseum - yes a museum dedicated to the french fry, just don't call it french! :eusa_naug

But best of all is the fact that I'm here of course (!)

15. Gumtree

I dislike my hometown; it's a colony of redneck farmers breed for the sole purpose of sleeping with their cousins and producing more rednecks.

My favorite city is Melbourne.

-Really nice scenery, rather green and pretty clean.
    -Best shopping EVER (shopped in most of the world now, Melbourne is still the best)
    -Much friendlier atmosphere to the night life than places like Sydney.
    -Always has a quaint and relaxed feel to it.
    -I love being able to walk down any back street and be guaranteed to find a nice coffee shop built of polished wood and big cushions, not to mention the 1000's of starting up designer shops that are unimaginably cheap!

16. BeautifulStranger

Alpena... God, where to start...

I really hated it. Everyday of the 4 years that I've lived there so far, I couldn't wait to get out. But now that I've left it... I just miss it so much and I really appriciate it a whole lot more.

First and foremost, here is the website.
    It's really cheesey, such as stating Alpena as Michigan's 'Advenshore', but it does a good job portraying Alpena from a touristy/boring point of view.
    I'll give it to you from a native teen's point of view.

Hot-spots:
    Starlight Beach: The best place in the summer. When you drive down State St. on a summer day, the beach will be filled with teens grilling and having an awesome time.
    Kiddie Park: Me and my friend's tend to frequent the kiddie park and just make complete asses of ourselves (as long as no children are there). It's on the boat harbor so it's absolutely beautiful to watch the boats come and go sitting atop the monkey bars.
    My house: Most of the houses in Alpena are older and built without A/C. The builder's philosophy was "A town on Lake Huron in Northeast Michigan, It'll be cool enough." And it is, but they didn't take humidity into account. My house, however, is one of the newer houses in A-town so I have A/C. So on the most humid of days, me and my friends can be found at my house. Or swimming in the river just down the road from my house.
    Main Street: Every Friday night during the summer, there are street parties on Main Street called 'Friday Night Downtown'. They're really kind of lame and juvenile, but it's a good place to meet your friends before you hit up the movie theatres. (All two of them!)
    Thunder Bay Theatre: Alpena is located on Thunder Bay, so our professional theatre was named after it. But yeah... TBT is the only professional year-round theatre company in Northeast Michigan, and they put on wonderful productions. They higher from all over the country, so it usually brings in some fresh and attractive meat for a season. Support local theatre!
    Alpena's Mall/Hall: Alpena isn't big enough for a mall, so instead we have a hall. It's a simple building with really bad clothing stores (nothing for guys, actually) and a few book stores. Now I know what you're thinking... How can a shitty ass mall be cool? Well, it literally is cool. A/Ced and empty almost all the time. A great place for rowdy and energetic teens to kill some time.

But one of the greatest things about Alpena is that you have to make it fun.
    My summer days usually include tanning for a bit, kayaking, grilling with friends, having a HUGE bonfire, and once it hit's 3 am, we go to the Wal*Mart Supercenter and play the shopping cart game.
    And don't even get my started on winter in Alpena... So much snow, so many friends... Amazing.

I can honestly agree with the website and say Alpena is a "cool" city

17. Myke

Myke Guest

Calgary, Alberta

[​IMG]

- City of over 1 million people
    - Modern, fast growing city
    - Good LRT system - Highest ridership in North America - currently being extended
    - Clean city
    - Calgary Stampede - annual carnival/festival
    - Hosted the 1988 Winter Olympics
    - redevelopment making certain parts of the city better and more livable
    - low taxes because of oil and gas industry
    - high minimum wage/low unemployment
    - sports fanatics
    - Rocky Mountains

there are lots that i don't like about the city

#17 Myke, Apr 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2009
  18. Ben

Ben

Wow... the nearest "city" to me has about 10,000 people.

19. Myke

Myke Guest

you must live in the middle of nowhere

20. Pepsi

Pepsi Guest

I live in New York City, it's in a ridiculous amount of movies. You probably know more about it then I do. The only thing I could probably tell you is that there aren't nearly as many people walking on the streets as the TV shows and movies make it seem. I love it here though because although I am technically in the city and I can be in Manhattan whenever I feel like it, I am not actually in the city part of it. Staten Island is more like the Suburbs of New York City even though they are in the city so it isn't loud and whatnot here. So yeah its pretty much bossome here.