1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you think that you are born gay rather than "becoming" gay?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hendrix, Jun 29, 2007.

?

Why are you gay?

1. I became this way somehow

8 vote(s)
    20.5%
  2. I was born this way

31 vote(s)
    79.5%
  1. Hendrix

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I've seen on this site and elsewhere many different views on whether or not you were born gay or "became" gay later on in life by choice or not by choice, things including:

I am gay because...
    I was born this way and there is not possible way to change that (what I believe
    now).
    I was molested or abused as a child.
    I grew up without a father/mother figure.
    I am being tempted by Satan and can resist the temptation if I try hard enough and
    put "more" trust in God, or I may even be posessed by demons!
    I am going through a phase or i am "experimenting" and it will all soon be over
    I made myself this way by some initial thought that somehow manifested itself into
    something much greater (what i once believed)
    ... I am gay!?!?!?!?!?!? ... not me!!!!!! ... no way!!!!! ... not possible!!!!!! (what i once
    believed also)
    ETC ETC

Why do you think you are gay?

Do you think that you were born gay or are gay for some other reason listed above or not listed above?

I know this may be a common question and and forgive me if something similar was posted earlier, but I'm just curious.

#1 Hendrix, Jun 29, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2007
  2. Brandon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was born gay, if it was something I could choose then I could chose between being straight or gay.

3. I think its a genetic thing. I was born that way

4. antdak

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really believe that you are born gay! I have lived most of my life trying to rid my self of the gay feelings. I grew up in a very religious house, and prayed every day for these feelings to go away, and the never did, in fact the older I got the more stonger they became. It has takem me several years to get out of religions mindset, and admit to my self that I am gay! I am sure my BF appriciates that as well!

5. Hendrix

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    The same thing happened to me. I'm also surrounded by a religous atmosphere that teaches agianst being gay. I think the feelings seem stronger for me because I don't feel guilty about them anymore so theyre more enjoyable and I'm not trying to block them out.

6. xxAngelOnFirexx

I think i either was born this way or because of when i was molested by a female as a very young child. Also when i get any hetro thoughts (like 'he's hot'or i like to flirt with guys) i quickly push them away. I don't want to be confused my whole life. I'm gay and i'm sticking to it! If i start thinking i'll be like well i might be bi, i dunno.... no i'm gay... wait what? so i'm just going to end the whole confusion. i'll never be able to hold a true relationship with a guy no matter how hot they are. So i'll just go with gurls.

7. Double Dubya

I was born gay, but lately I have gotten gayer every day:icon_wink

8. Is that good or bad :wink:

9. justjoshoh

I never flipped a coin to decide my sexuality. I grew up living a normal life. My brothers lived in the same environment, and turned out to be straight. If Satan is tempting me, he has his grips on something other than my sexuality. If it is a phase that I am going through, it seems to be a rather long term phase.

Part of me would like to know that Chromosome n is the determinate that made me gay. The other part of me kind of likes the fact that the fundamental cause can't be determined. Nonetheless, until substantial evidence proves otherwise, I am left to believe sexuality is determined at birth.

10. ampthejazz

I don't believe either. I don't believe that there's a "gay gene" and I was born with it, and I don't believe that somehow I turned gay.

To be perfectly honest, I believe that I don't need to know why I'm gay. All I know is that I'm gay, and I'm happy that way. Why should it matter if I know why?

11. hoping

i believe that i was born gay and if i was asked if i wanted to b gay or str8 i would probably choose gay

12. Rette

Dunno if I was born gay, but I definitely was from an early age. I had feelings for guys since I was at least 12 years old or so.

On a side note, I tried to convince myself for years that I wasn't gay. That screwed me up pretty good throughout the teenage years.

13. Hendrix

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It seems like a lot of people are unsure. I wish I had included a "Not sure" option in the poll

14. wtinal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't really know. I am not sure I was necessarily born gay, but I don't necessarily think I "turned" gay. I don't think being gay is something people choose anymore than people choose to be heterosexual. I don't know. I think it is a lot like asking "which came first, the chicken or the egg."

15. 24601

There's probably a mixture of factors playing into it. But, as ampthejazz said:

I kind of feel similar.

Also, 2 people with the same avatar is so confusing.

16. Kimi

Of course it's good.........right!?!?!?! WW??????

17. SadConfusedBandGeek

I think i've always been gay, BUT the lifestyle (haha that sounds so profesional) has definetly made me MORE gay and more flamboyant and stuff

18. Zec24

I agree with wtinal. Its such a controversial question. Would you really want science to prove that there is a gay gene? There are pros and cons, but I think the cons outweigh the pros in this case. We'll have problems like people trying to abort their children because they learn that the child is gay before they are even born. Or scientists working out a way to wipe out the "gay gene" or find a cure to being gay.

I'm not really sure I want to know why I'm gay, its hard enough learning to accept that as something you can't really change. Its like saying your favorite color is blue. How does that come about? Why do you prefer blue and not green or red? Is there a "color gene"? Does it matter? No, its just a color, something you find attractive something you like. Thats how I see sexuality.

19. crimsonarcher

it doesn't look like a thing you'd pick up in your life, so yeah, genetics.

20. Hendrix

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I understand the risks involved with the cons you explained but i think the pros outweigh the cons. If the "gay gene" were discovered the whole idea that being gay is chosen or is changeable would be crushed. All the politics and religous aspects surrounding the issue would be radically changed. I know things will not be perfect. For example we know that being black is still not accepted in our society even though everyone knows someone's race can't be chosen (if it even really matters what race someone belongs to anyway). but imagine a world where coming out to your parents would be as simple as telling them you are double jointed (not that it would be that simple but you get the idea). I do believe the cons are important issues to consider and i do have some mixed feeling about it but i do believe the pros will outwiegh the cons.