1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a "Don't ask, don't tell" in countries other than the USA?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MusicIsLife, Apr 7, 2009.

1. MusicIsLife

Maybe it's a stupid question, but I honestly don't know much about the military of my own country very well, though my uncle served in the Navy up till very recently.

So, the title says all, is there a "don't ask, don't tell" or something similar in countries other than the us? and im referring to developed countries, like the UK, Canada, Australia and such, and I apologise if I sound a bit ignorant, but I dont know much about this stuff :/

2. Greggers

Well, Netherlands has no such policy, and there are quite a few gay people in relationships that met in the military there :slight_smile:

3. InaRut

Military is always a good place for gays.
    Band of Thebes proved that one :slight_smile:

4. Greggers

"In 1974, the Netherlands was the first country to ban discrimination against gays in the military"

God i love my homeland :slight_smile:

5. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

Of the 26 countries that participate militarily in NATO, more than 20 permit open lesbians, gays, or bisexuals to serve; of the permanent members of the United Nations Security Council, two (United Kingdom and France) do so. The other three generally do not: China bans gays and lesbians outright, Russia excludes all gays and lesbians during peacetime but allows some gay men to serve in wartime, and the United States (see Don't ask, don't tell) technically permits gays and lesbians to serve, but only in secrecy and celibacy. Israel is the only country in the middle east region that openly allows gays and lesbians to serve in the military.
    In the British Forces since 2000, sexual orientation has not been a factor considered in recruitment and homosexuals can serve openly in the armed forces, the army actively recruits at Gay Pride parades.
    I serve in the British Army and it has an excellent Equality and Diversity policy.
    The British Armed Forces also regualrly participate in London's annual gay pride parade.

6. VanceA

My roommate whos openly gay served in the Canadian navy. And my cousin(if im not being lied to) was the first person in the Canadian Military to have a same sex marriage.

7. InaRut

Yea! Got to love my fathers homeland! Woop Woop! Dutch Canadians (or half Dutch-ies) win it for the gays!

8. Pvand

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yay for my country.

can't wait untill "Don't Ask Don't Tell" is gone in the US.

9. Just Adam

got to love that uk non disscrimination :grin:

10. Fiorino