Empty Closets Coming Out Resources and a Safe Place to Chat
Welcome Forum Chat Room Resources News Members

Go Back   Empty Closets - A safe online community for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender people coming out > General Chat > Chit Chat

Chit Chat General discussion of topics of interest to LGBT people of all ages.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11th Jan 2017, 12:16 PM   #1
wasn't sure what to put here

Orientation: Bisexual
Out Status: Not out at all

any musicians? or novice instrument players?

just curious how many people on here play an instrument. if you do, what kind of music do you play and why do you like playing? Do you sing? do you write? I started playing the guitar when I was 14 so 11 years now. I love it but hated it the first couple years because I SUCKED lol. I mostly play I guess what you could call alternative but influenced by grunge and metal bands. I mostly play acoustic and I think I have a some what unique sound. I started putting lyrics to my music about 4 years ago. I love to sing to my music I just need to take some singing lessons lol. I took lessons once a week for about a month but he was more interested in showing off. So I took the few chords I learned from him and ran with it. I've written about 3 songs, none on paper, all in my head. I love playing because it's an emotional outlet and great to express your creativity.
meistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2017, 12:17 PM   #2
The Cynical Optimist

Orientation: Gay
Out Status: Mother, her extended family, and a few friends

Re: any musicians? or novice instrument players?

I used to play the Saxaphone back in elementary school but I lost interest in it after a few months.
Old 11th Jan 2017, 12:19 PM   #3
Threadstarter

the lessons I took were guitar lessons not singing lessons, still haven't got to that...also what bands/musicians influenced you? I was influenced by jimi Hendrix and bands like tool, pearl jam, korn and system of a down

---------- Post added 11th Jan 2017 at 11:21 AM ----------

i came very close to loosing interest in my guitar because i hated sucking, sticking with it was hard but i'm glad i did
Old 11th Jan 2017, 12:34 PM   #4
Every coin has two sides

Orientation: Lesbian
Out Status: A few people

I'm playing the violin. Last year I started to teach myself playing the guitar and a few years back I started playing piano.

In my defense, I grew up in a family in which everyone plays at least two instruments ^^

-- ALWAYS --
Jolly Hermione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2017, 12:38 PM   #5
Well Known

Out Status: Family and friends

I play flute (since I was 12), violin (since I was 14) and I started classical guitar in 2015 while overseas and I am continuing lessons. I briefly played viola but switched back to the violin I play almost always classical music and back in the day I used to play hymns at church. I still play flute and violin but not everyday like I used to...
I am finding guitar really hard and I can't get used to having to grow my nails for plucking the strings... lol... but I do love it.
LoneWolf79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2017, 12:48 PM   #6
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Hermione View Post
I'm playing the violin. Last year I started to teach myself playing the guitar and a few years back I started playing piano.

In my defense, I grew up in a family in which everyone plays at least two instruments ^^
I always wanted to learn to play the violin and I plan on learning one day, I also enjoy playing the piano, I don't know any chords or anything but I can make it sound decent without any structure or anything...but I very rarely have the opportunity to play one anymore since my grandmother passed

---------- Post added 11th Jan 2017 at 11:52 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf79 View Post
I play flute (since I was 12), violin (since I was 14) and I started classical guitar in 2015 while overseas and I am continuing lessons. I briefly played viola but switched back to the violin I play almost always classical music and back in the day I used to play hymns at church. I still play flute and violin but not everyday like I used to...
I am finding guitar really hard and I can't get used to having to grow my nails for plucking the strings... lol... but I do love it.
I use a pick so I don't need long finger nails...I did teach myself years ago to play without a pick because I couldn't find the specific kind of pick I use for almost a week. I can play almost as good using my fingers but I still don't need fingernails lol
Old 11th Jan 2017, 01:18 PM   #7
EC Addict

Orientation: Pan/Bi

I play drums, though my playing is mostly learning new beats and fills. I started to play one song, but haven't had time to continue.

Playing is like therapy to me. When I'm angry or sad (and I have the time), I go to our garage and just start playing on my electric drums. I can put my negative feelings aside and enjoy the learning process.
Old 11th Jan 2017, 02:39 PM   #8
Pretty kinky ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Orientation: Pansexual (????)
Out Status: Anyone that asks, really.

i am agonizingly slowly teaching myself guitar
Old 11th Jan 2017, 03:24 PM   #9
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderDragon View Post
i am agonizingly slowly teaching myself guitar
teaching yourself can be really hard, like I said above I took lessons for about a month but it was only 30 mins ounce a week, so it was a total of two hours lol and this guy showed off more than anything. He was a bad teacher and I only learned a couple chords from him. One thing that really helped me, once I learned to read tabs was to learn other peoples songs, or at least bits and pieces of them and it helped me to learn new styles and techniques of playing. Also new chords. Try to learn 4 or 5 basic chords and just pick around with them and then slowly start learning new ones. DON'T GIVE UP!! you'll be glad you didn't down the line

---------- Post added 11th Jan 2017 at 02:27 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaeiria View Post
I play drums, though my playing is mostly learning new beats and fills. I started to play one song, but haven't had time to continue.

Playing is like therapy to me. When I'm angry or sad (and I have the time), I go to our garage and just start playing on my electric drums. I can put my negative feelings aside and enjoy the learning process.
YES!! it's like therapy to me too. That's a great way to put it...it's the best outlet in the world to me and I love it when ever I come up with a new riff or new combination of chords and then the quest is on to make something more out of it.
Old 11th Jan 2017, 04:29 PM   #10
that gay kid

Orientation: pansexual (male/non-binary preference)
Out Status: parents & friends

I used to play clarinet but stopped, and now I play piano and ukelele/guitar
Old 11th Jan 2017, 04:33 PM   #11
Grapes are fun!

Out Status: I think everyone knows I'm a 'mo?

I might play an instrument.

....or my screen name is just a ploy to throw you all off
Old 11th Jan 2017, 06:04 PM   #12
Crazy Schwarzgelben Bastard

Orientation: Gay but asexual
Out Status: Count 'em on two hands

I played bass drum back in high school. I was actually section leader in the marching band in my senior year.

I also sing, but not well and never around other people.

Last edited by ThatBorussenGuy; 11th Jan 2017 at 06:04 PM..
ThatBorussenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jan 2017, 06:28 PM   #13
Gayasfrick

Out Status: 4 people

I mostly play bari sax, trumpet, guitar, bass, and drum set, but I can play a wide variety of instruments
Old 11th Jan 2017, 10:33 PM   #14
Well Known

Quote:
Originally Posted by meistro View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Hermione View Post

I always wanted to learn to play the violin and I plan on learning one day, I also enjoy playing the piano, I don't know any chords or anything but I can make it sound decent without any structure or anything...but I very rarely have the opportunity to play one anymore since my grandmother passed

Quote:
I use a pick so I don't need long finger nails...I did teach myself years ago to play without a pick because I couldn't find the specific kind of pick I use for almost a week. I can play almost as good using my fingers but I still don't need fingernails lol
I wish I could use a pick LOL... but for classical guitar, we have to use fingers and nails although I am trying to get away with not using... it affects the tone though... lol
Old 11th Jan 2017, 11:15 PM   #15
EC Addict

Orientation: the HELL if I know
Out Status: out to 4 people

Tournaments Won: 1

Left handed Fender Squire guitar. Just good enough for me to listen to though!
Old 12th Jan 2017, 12:04 AM   #16
Sadness is not Unhappiness.

Orientation: 90% Lesbian
Out Status: Out to only a few as MTF

I play piano and am a composer. I have played viola before, though, and I have there other instruments: a guitar, a xaphoon, a harmonica, a recorder, a marimba, a Chinese flute (dizi), and a trumpet.
Old 12th Jan 2017, 08:14 AM   #17
Threadstarter

Quote:
Quote:

I wish I could use a pick LOL... but for classical guitar, we have to use fingers and nails although I am trying to get away with not using... it affects the tone though... lol
yeah I know what you mean about affecting the tone...I know it's not good for my guitar or strings but one song that I wrote I actually use a penny (new shiny not old grimy)because it does something to the sound that makes it kinda...well, unique lol
Old 12th Jan 2017, 08:28 AM   #18
Well Known

Quote:
Quote:

yeah I know what you mean about affecting the tone...I know it's not good for my guitar or strings but one song that I wrote I actually use a penny (new shiny not old grimy)because it does something to the sound that makes it kinda...well, unique lol
That actually sounds like it would make quite a cool sound.

Does your guitar have only steel strings?
Old 12th Jan 2017, 11:31 AM   #19
you can call me Aidan

Orientation: dsn't take an intellectual 2 get tht I'm bisexual
Out Status: Pretty much everyone

I've played piano for about 7/8 years now. I don't compose or anything but I still really enjoy it
Old 12th Jan 2017, 12:25 PM   #20
Di0
post-goblin human

Orientation:
Out Status: Out to everyone

I play drums and a little bit of clarinet. I'm focusing on jazz, starting with swing.
Di0 is offline   Reply With Quote