1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meaning of Homosexuality?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Guff, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Guff

Hello whoever stopped to read.

So during a very tough time in me learning to accept I'm gay, It can't change and to be okay with it 1 of my primary problems was "What even is the point?".
    I looked at it from a "secular" standpoint. And even thinking about it logically and with evolution I still kinda got nowhere. Just feeling totally useless.

So 1 day I was talking to a therapist, I told her about my feeling of "uselessness". She told me even gay people can do useful things and etc. I than said but it doesn't even make sense, homo sex is totally unproductive and doesn't do anything. Shouldn't have evolution gotten rid of the trait.
    To which she said "Think about nipples on guys, they don't really do anything. But they're still here to this day. Evolution doesn't just stop things, as long as it's doing no damage to the species that is."

Anyhow basically I left feeling as if I'm only as useful as a mans nipple. LOL So I did some research and read theory's about homosexuality being for social gain, giving extra adults to help raise youth, being a missing link between males/females and etc.

I'm just curious to see what others think about the meaning of homosexuality from a secular view. Or if they simply think we're the male nipples of the human race.

2. killswitch0029

While I can't directly answer the question you're asking, I can relate it to how I commonly answer "what is the meaning of life" to try and paint a picture of what I think.

So in my opinion, the purpose of life is to simply do what you love to do and make sure you're happy with your choices. It's meaning is what you choose to make of it.

Scientifically some may argue that we're supposed to live, reproduce, blah blah blah, but people are pretty irrational as a specie when compared to a lot of other things alive on our planet.

So I guess to get back to your question, homosexuality is just another part of one's life, like being 6'4 or sucking at math, that you have to consider how you're going to make the most out of it so it creates personal meaning to yourself.

Sooo I realize I got all philosophical and probably didn't actually give a real answer for your question, but like the giant clusterfuck we call life, the meaning for homosexuality is pretty much an enigma. Just like how we don't know why people are gay in the first place, we don't know if life in general was a lucky accident or something more (a little into the non-secular territory, I know.)

Anyways, I hope some of what I said gave you some food for thought or some piece of mind. Hell, I'm actually pretty interested to see what some other people might say on the matter. Anyways, I hope you do find your answer :slight_smile:

3. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Homosexual sex is a prominent and vital form of bonding in our closest ancestors, the bonobo chimp, and thus is still a strong instinct found in humans today.

4. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First of all, one of the common things we do wrong while thinking about evolution is thinking from a human point of view. To us, things need to be "useful". Things need to have a purpose. And, while it is true to some things that change individuals so the species will evolve, Evolution doesn't think. It is a process, and it doesn't really have to have a "why"?

However, in the case of homosexuality, there are a few theories about why it didn't disappear.

Here is an interesting video where Dr. Dawkins discuss this question a bit: [YT]v=IDmQns78FR8[/YT]

5. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly, most things don't have a real purpose. Even human beings don't even have much of a purpose, and by a logical point of view, seeing humans die isn't as big of a loss unless you bring emotions into it. The only purpose for human beings is to reproduce and then die. But there are also straight infertile people too. What about them?

We just have to find our own meaning in life and live through that.

Reproducing too much can also be a bad thing and lead to over population or children without homes. Maybe homosexuality exists to slow down the population or to have children through adoption. Even if you wanted your own biological kids, remember, you're still viewing it that way through selfish emotion and not by logic or purpose. Bringing unwanted kids into your home has a lot of purpose and is a very selfless act.

And what if some of us don't want that sort of thing? I never want to wind up pregnant, so homosexuality has the purpose of feeling "safer" for me. It also has the purpose of me feeling safer with a gender I understand more rather than becoming victim of dating thousands of sexist straight men who hold double standards. Same applies to gay men, since a lot of straight women push limiting gender role crap on them too.

You could also say the purpose is to show society our differences. That's kind of how I felt being born on the autism spectrum. I used to think, why do I have autism, It's useless, I should have been aborted, etc. But you can't change the circumstances, so you have to find good in it.

6. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Which is, on a side note, a very real problem nowadays. And, apparently, it will become an even bigger problem on the future.