1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how do you feel about other religions?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by meistro, Jan 20, 2017.

1. meistro

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Was just curious how my lgbt peeps feel about religious views other than your own. I was raised Christian, (southern Baptist) and we were always taught that other religions were just plain wrong and that these people denied Jesus and God.
    I'm not a Christian but I hold nothing against TRUE Christians, or any other religion that aren't hateful and disrespectful to other faiths or people. I tend to lean towards portions of the "ancient astronaut theory" myself (which is laughed at and ridiculed) but I don't care.
    I honestly, wouldn't want everyone to believe the way I do, or the world would be boring. I actually have a lot of respect for people who have TRUE devout faith in a God or gods, i'm just incapable of faith, but I truly hate what differing religious views do to the world. It is interesting how the top three (Christianity, Judaism, and Islam) have affected the world so drastically over the past millennia, considering their all so similar and share so many of the same stories and all have origins in the same part of the world.

2. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you're a good person, then that's all that matters--no matter what your faith is. However, if you use your religion as an excuse or scapegoat to be a shitty person or do horrible things; then you can go fuck yourself.

For example, I hate people who cry religious persecution (like right wing Christians) when they learn they can't discriminate their customers for being gay. I don't like people like the several court clerks who refused to issue marriage licenses to gay people--but are either divorced or have had many marriages themselves. I hate people who use fear mongering to convert people or to break up families.

A lot of the people I admire and look up to are Roman Catholic, and they're super sweet people who don't tolerate others doing shitty things in the name of God or Jesus. Those are the people I'm totally fine with, and I wish there were more people like them.

3. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm an atheist so I'll just say (with as much respect as I can) what I think of ALL religions: I think they're all equally nonsense, but I don't hold your religion against you if you don't use it to control or harass me or other people. Peoples' beliefs aren't my business otherwise.

4. Lynz

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What he said ^^^^^^

Religions are fictional books, nothing more. Being religious is an opinion. Gods are not facts, they are opinions.

I respect religion, if and only if it is never used by the person to bully.

5. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm indifferent. I think religion is ridiculous as a concept, but I won't judge what you believe in.

6. PrinceVegeta

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't mind. We are all different.. have our own quirks... We all make our own decisions and have different insights, so to me it's just "okay, you like it that way. That's cool."
    I don't really have a religion, but I'm not an atheist either. I believe there are things in this world even science will never be able to explain.

7. Cailan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As an atheist, I'm with the other atheists here. I think all religions are bunk, and I do not respect the beliefs, but I respect the individual's right to hold that belief. I do not believe in forcing people to not believe, because that just results in rebellion, anger and resentment, such as in the Soviet Union, where the religion just went underground. Fewer and fewer of each generation believes in religion, and I figure to just let it die out with a whimper.

8. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm an atheist and I think religion does more harm than good. :slight_smile:

9. meistro

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I agree with you about the court clerks, because that's a church and state issue, but people who "discriminate" against lgbt people "reserve the right to refuse service to anyone" and the people themselves shouldn't let government get involved in things like that. That's when we should really start getting concerned, because that's also a church and state issue when the government won't let people express their religious views. I don't like it, but religious freedoms shouldn't be restricted to things that we disagree with.

And the people who use hate mongering to convert people, break up families and do "shitty" things in the name of God or Jesus aren't true Christians.

Also, my mom's Roman Catholic, so it's cool you brought them up, it just goes to show that it's not the religion they claim, but the kind of people they are

10. AgenderMoose

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So long as you're not an ass and don't shove it in my face, we'll be gold. I'm not gonna press my paganism on you, so don't press whatever your religion is on me.

11. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not religious but I have no problem with other's religion so long as they aren't shoving their views onto other people.

12. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No war has killed as many people as religion has.

13. Joelouis

Pretty much the same as a couple of members on this thread.
    If you have a religion that offers you comfort when you need it, then that's great.
    I have my own ideas and beliefs, so you respect mine and I'll respect yours.

14. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a Buddhist Christian. I, like you, was raised Southern Baptist so I know of that "all other religions and theologies are sinful" mindset all too well. Honestly I find that mindset pretty absurd and don't think it reflects what God wants - which I understand to be love and respect for all people.

That said, I do not hold an agenda to convert other people to my beliefs. Rather I would want to understand why someone believes what they believe, and think through fundamental philosophical questions alongside them. And if someone's belief lends them genuine hope in this life, and they are good and loving people as a result - then who am I to judge? The thought of telling someone "what you believe is wrong and if you don't change you are going to hell" is repugnant to me.

What religions are best for whom is subjective. I am not sure that there is only one right way to believe. I only know what I believe in, and what I believe in is kindness.

I would befriend an atheist just as well as a Muslim or a Christian or a Hindu. I am more interested in the individual and their heart, rather than a doctrine.

#14 Kodo, Jan 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  15. killswitch0029

I was raised a Catholic, now don't identify as anything. Not that I hate Catholicism or anything, I just don't find comfort in the idea of religion.

I don't normally have an issue with religion, but I always say religion is like a penis. If you have one good for you, it's okay to be happy about it, but if you start waving it around in my face I'm gonna get pretty pissed

16. Deinna

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm a Christian and always will be, but like others in this thread, I hate those individuals, who use a religion as an excuse for their actions or try to force others to believe like they do. I have great amounts of respect for other religions, even though I personally don't believe in them.

17. ProffersCentral

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I study in a Catholic school and am required to say the prayer every morning and go to mass whenever I have to. I consider myself an atheist. However, I don't disrespect other people's religion(except the time where I was a bit rebellious) and just follow along.

18. Embi

Embi Guest

I'm an agnostic atheist, but officially still a member of the evangelic church (I am going to leave the church before they ask me for money).

I accept everyone the way they are as long as they don't hurt and discriminate another person with their behaviour and beliefs. Believing is a personal thing and everyone believes in different stuff.

I personally think that organised religion was made to oppress people. It seems to me like the Bible (Christianity as an example because that's what I know most about) was written by a white heterosexual cis man/several white heterosexual cis men. And when I see how many religious people use their religion as an excuse to oppress people, I want to vomit. Of course I could be wrong and God really told Moses the 10 commandments and all the other stuff is real as well.
    I am not saying that every member of an organised religion is bad, though!!!

19. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was raised catholic but now I'm agnostic. I find certain religions with their philosophies (ex: Buddhism) to be really interesting and fascinating but like just about everyone else who posted here, I only get specifically annoyed/angered by religion when people try to force their religion onto me like it's a doctrine I need in order to live.

20. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You respect me and other people, I respect you. Regardless of religious differences between us.