1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much open minded/tolerant/non-prejudiced are Spaniards towards the LGBT?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by new smurf, Jan 21, 2017.

1. new smurf

I'd like to know particularly about the people of Spain, not the laws of the country, and to compare it with spanish speaking Latin America. Mexico City claims to be "gay-friendly" based only on their supposedly progressive laws

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I guess Canada, BeNeLux, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Scandinavia are generally more open minded, whereas Britain, Ireland, Italy, France, US and Latin America are more conservative and biased.

Thanks in advance!!

2. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  3. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I live in Spain and it's by far one of the most gay-friendly countries I have lived in (and I have lived in many countries). I am sure there are some homophobic people around like everywhere but most people I know are very accepting of gay people and this even if they are in their "old age" most main cities have pretty big LGBT communities and I don't know one person here who doesn't have a gay friend. I teach young children and they all talk about being gay as the most normal thing in the world, one of them as said several time that he was gay and would marry a man (he is 6) and nobody batted an eyelid. One asked if two men could marry, I said yes and that was the end of it. Spain is still a rather religious country but surprisingly very very liberal in its views and that's what I love about it.

I haven't been to South America yet but I think South America is likely to be less accepting as the idea that "men have to be men" seem to be quite omnipresent in their culture and I think that in many countries of South America being gay would be frown upon. Though obviously that would depend on the person.
    I don't know for sure though and only speak from the chats I have had with my many friends from South America. :slight_smile: