1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this a rational fear?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Greggers, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Greggers

Im afraid that all the "bible thumpers" who decided not to be friends with me anymore when i came out will pull one of my biggest pet peeves ever on people...

"Your homophobic!"

"No im not! I have a gay friend, i went to highschool with him"

This really bugs me. I was only your friend when YOU thought i was straight and YOU ended the relationship when i came out! But i think its going to happen. Religious homophobes tend to lie about being homophobic, using excuses like this to justify everything.

I have not seen it happen yet with the people im talking about, but i have this horrible feeling in my gut it will happen :frowning2:

2. Daniel

Greg. They will be miserable and people will doubt them as is.

Don't get too tied up over it.

3. Lol like how Sarah Palin has "gay friends." It's like anything else Greg, unless you have been personally wronged by a homosexual it is irrational to have a fear of them.

4. Eccentric

Well, if they have gay friends like they claim, then then you should tell them that they shouldn't be having problems with having you as a gay friend. Hmmm... hopefully if you cant convince a bible thumper that being gay is ok, you can at least convince them that there is nothing wrong with being nice to or being friends with a "sinner". And as long as they don't hate you and you stay friends, you can slowly convert them into gay friendlies.

I have a bible thumper friend. Now that you mention it, I'm imagining how she would react if she knew. Yup, this is definitely a rational fear.

#4 Eccentric, Apr 10, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  5. Legnaj

Legnaj Guest

I know what you mean. I stopped contact with a friend after he announced "Thank God Gay Marraige Is Banned" When Prop 2 passed. He goes around telling people he knows gay people...Me... and that I'm ok with it because I'm his friend.

Saying "but I have a gay friend" is their last defense of saying that their opinion is viewed that way by people who would normally disagree with them. I laugh when I hear that line. It asuers me that I have won and they have lost.

No diffrent than people who say "but I have black friends". Its a stupidly unique statemnet. People want to use unique things in verbal arguments in order to help their side look as equally unique. You might not be there to stop people from saying that but people who hear that line usually recognize it as bull. (SARAH PALIN)

6. starfish

All fears are rational provided that you use them to empower yourself. If you let them control you then you are acting irrationally.

7. trey gardner

trey gardner Guest

just ignore it and if there a true friend they w/ come over and you guys will make up:thumbsup:

8. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This might be a little off subject, but…

When people try to use God and the Bible as their own personal shield and sword, I ask them, “Do you view the Bible as a strict set of rule to live your life by, or is it a guide line to help everyone develop a relationship with the Lord.”

Besides If God made us in his own image then are the thumpers saying God hates himself?

:goodevil:

9. xequar

I don't think this is a problem I'll have, mostly because if I find out that someone I consider a friend voted against me (by voting against same-sex marriage or some other equal rights), then they've effectively told me that they secretly hate me and are two-faced. I don't keep company with two-faced liars. I support my friends completely, and I expect the same in return.

10. Mysterons

Mysterons Guest

Here the phrase 'I have a gay friend' has gained a bad reputation since people associate it with homophobes trying to excuse themselves. Which is kinda sad because some people do have gay friends.

11. Dazed

Dazed Guest

greg if they say that then..they blow. i hate something sorta like that but its when people say

i'm not racist...i have black friends...and throw out the N word like its nothing.

people will be stupid and try to hide the ugly parts of their soul. the best ting to do will be ignore them

12. xequar

There's a world of difference between "my gay friend" and "my friend soandso, who happens to be gay."

Any real friend who needs to denote, for purposes of a particular and specific conversation, that they have a friend who is gay (note the construction there-a friend who is gay instead of a gay friend), will refer to the PERSON first and the gayness only if relevant. Conversely, referring to a gay friend and putting the gayness first is a sign of tokenism or veiled contempt.

13. Just Adam

i think its fairly rational, my one is my friend not accepting me beeing gay because of other gay people he may of known i.e his uncle who is a little weird but its not because hes gay but thats the reason my mate chooses to blame it on :S