1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what do you think about the phrase, ''that's so gay''?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by amberger, Apr 11, 2009.

1. amberger

personally, i can't stand it. It makes it seem like being gay is wrong or bad. No wonder gays aren't accepted in society! And the worst part is that i've heard gay people say it!!! Like chris crocker said, we should all just walk around and say, ''that's so straight''. Sorry for the rant. What are your opinions on it?

2. nametakenagain

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It hurts a little, but I don't make a big fuss about it.

3. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

I only care if someone I like says it >_>

4. paytah

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally I don't care for it, but I had a friend a few years ago who was gay and would use it all the time. I think gay people who use it are intending to 'reclaim' the phrase and make it into something that isn't offensive.

5. Colly

I'm guilty of using this phrase, as are a lot of my friends. They say it, remember that I'm within earshot and apologize. But to be honest, I don't care - as long as it isn't used towards me in a somewhat negative manner.

6. Halpert

Meh, I don't really mind if its just my friends saying it. Now that I'm out, they apologize after saying it, but it really doesn't bug me that much.

7. Techcompu2

I don't like to hear people say it, but I don't make a fuss about it. although one time when my uncle picked me and my sister up after school, my sister was telling him about a conversation between her and a friend of hers. at one point in the story the friend had said that something was so gay. to shorten the post some, me and my sister had to explain that "everyone" used gay to mean dumb or stupid. finally after we had explained all that, he said that there was nothing stupid about being gay and how he had a gay friend or relative or something. it ought to be obvious that I was very happy on the inside.

8. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly, it doesn't bother me that much. It's one of those terms that says more about the speaker than the subject.

Lex

9. Eccentric

"[Person] is such a faggot" bothers me more. Plus, I'm wondering how the teacher doesn't notice when someone says that really loudly. A while back I also heard someone say "faggoty" and it just sounded so funny.

10. partietraumatic

i sometiems say it,but when i do i use it to refer to something being like really stereotypically gay lol. eg i was at the gay pub last night and the tv was showing a live Cher concert. thats the sorta occasion where i would say 'thats so gay' lol

11. Mysterons

Mysterons Guest

I think it gives a clear picture of the narrow-mindedness of the speaker.

It's certainly not funny, and if the people who say so had the slightest idea of all the pain we have to undergo to accept ourselves and overcome these small yet hurtful signs of intolerance, they'd probably think twice before speaking.

12. jazzrawr

I agree. It annoys me to no end, but it's become common slang now, and that can't really be helped. It's starting to become less popular where I am though - it's not being used in every sentence like it used to.

13. It doesn't bother me in the slightest.

14. Alice Insanity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I only care if the heteros say it

15. Rosina

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thirded; it somehow managed to become common lingo and now everyone uses it because it's new and cool. It'll die out, like everything else that comes into fashion. Like Jazz, I'm seeing less and less of it being used, so that's good :slight_smile:

I tend to just retort with "No way! There was me thinking it was soooo squeaky bicycle/wet dog" or something that is equally ridiculous. Stupid? Yes. But it usually makes them stop and think about what they're saying.

Hurrah for society's sheep-like mindset (!) Let's make them squirm with awkwardness and get those gay babies coming :grin:

16. Johnny123

Johnny123 Guest

I'm afriad it's a phrase I use sometimes. I don't think about it, and because it doesn't offend me, I assume it won't offend other people (which, with straight people, it doesn't - they tend to relax if I say it, because they know that I won't be extremely uptight, nervy, or easily offended about my sexuality).

I don't think people are persecuting me if they say "that's gay"; principally, I'm not a gay, I'm a human being (who has blue eyes, reads detective stories, and sleeps with boys), and I like to think that my friends accept and embrace that.

As a fan of Agatha Christie and Cole Porter, shouldn't I be shouting at people who call themselves "gay" for removing the original meaning of the word - happy/fun? Of course not! Words get new meanings, and it's not a problem if they mean more than one thing at once. Their meaning will normally be evident from the context.

If someone said to me - "That's gay, by which I mean homosexual, by which I mean attracted to the same gender, by which I mean screamingly wrong," then of course I would be offended! But I really don't think most people think like this or mean this.

17. tomahto72

tomahto72 Guest

I personally don't take much notcie but when someone over does it
    i.e. "*eff sailor is so effing gay i hate him he is an effing faggot , urgh him backstabbing us is so gay" (about Wendell Sailor playing league for a different team)
    But I love to watch my friends squirm when they are about to say it but say lame or stupid in its place (ahhh the sadistic side of me...lol)

18. SailingKoala

I haven't really thought about the use of the Phrase before - I think I have even used it. But I have just noticed I am sensitive to the use of the phrase and other derogitory terms - just requested a person be kicked out of a online game and openly called for it on a forum thread where he was insulting another player and used the term F**King Fags - I normally ignore such things - but this just stood out as such an insult and such a small mind idiot who doesn't deserve to be part of that community I had to speak up. So maybe the inappropriate use of "Gay"or other terms that get used when full of hate effects me - but then again joking "Isn't that just SO GAY though..."

19. ricoca

Rosie you're awesome. (*hug*)

It kinda bugs me cause it does make the word gay seems more negative in many ways. My cousin says it all the time and all I can do is just squirm inside. I hate not being out. Personally, I think we should just all say something ridiculous like Rosina suggested!

There's actually a campaign going on (if no one has mentioned it) being done to kind of eliminate that. It's called Think b4 You Speak and I saw their commercials on Logo Tv before. I think it's a good start as it does say on the website that such kind of speech can actually be seen as a homophobic remark.

Oh well. It doesn't bother me as much though now.

20. Jamie G

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I personally think, (and im generalizing here) that the vast majority of the time it's someone refering to a stereotypical gay trait, wich is incredibly narrow minded in my opinion.
    The context of wich it was said is also usually that of a negative one, wich is also, again in my opinion wrong.
    In general I will ignore such comments mainly due to the fact it's only normally said negativly because my friends think im streight, but other than that just because it's not usually worth the hastle debating over how ignorant a person is being with an ignorant person, seems like a pointless endevor.:dry: