1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Q Word?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by foxaquatica, Jan 27, 2017.

1. foxaquatica

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    :help:

So this is probably a weird subject, but I cant let it go and I need to know if anyone else shares my feelings on this word.

Lately, the word 'Queer' is being used a lot more than it used to be used within the LGBTQIA+ community & I just have to say, it makes me so uncomfortable.

I think it's great that the community are 'taking back' words that belong to us, but I personally hate this word, I consider it a hateful slur, along the same lines as f*ggot & d*ke (another word which is making its appearance a lot more in LBGTQIA circles).

Just want to say - I'm not at all bashing people who use this word to describe themselves, you do you, I'm happy you can use it.

The word queer throughout my life has been used as a hateful slur around me & still is used in that sense. At school, the weird kids would be called 'queer' and 'homo' by peers & despite the fact I wasn't exactly a weird kid, the fact I didn't have a boyfriend at all meant i got called that word a lot. Whenever I hear that word it reminds me personally of a horrible time, and it's such a poisonous word to my ears.

So, my questions - considering this word doesn't seem to be going away - are:

1) Does anyone who has also had this word used viciously around them personally use it to describe themselves? if so how did you stop associating it with the hate you faced?

2) Does anyone feel the same way I do?

3) If you use this word to describe yourself, do you/would you respect others when they asked you to not use it around them as it brings back bad memories? similar to a trigger word?

4) Has anyone ever not experienced this word in a hateful way?

5) Is there anyone who doesn't like the word who hasn't experienced it in a hateful way?

Thanks for you time :icon_wink

2. Tre

Tre

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I find the word awkward to use, it sounds pretty vulgar to say out loud. I did find it incredibly helpful when I was confused about whether I was gay or bi. Calling myself bi or open minded felt terrible. Same with calling myself questioning. Queer was the most comfortable label for me. It never felt right saying it out loud. I generally used it on forums, but not too much in real life. I'm now happy to just call myself gay.

3. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't like the word either. It's annoying that now people are calling us the "queer community" and at protests they're saying "Queer lives matter" because I hate that word and want nothing to do with it. I'll never identify as queer.

4. Embi

Embi Guest

I use the word queer as a label and an umbrella term. It's just annoying to keep saying "the LGBTQ*-community", "as a LGBTQ*-person", etc. However, nobody ever used it as a slur around me, probably because I'm from Germany and we have different words here. I don't like the word "faggot", for example, because the German equivalent is used as a slur here. There's also the word "Kampflesbe" (literal translation: "fighting lesbian"), which is a demeaning term used for a "masculine" lesbian here and I dislike it as well. I do find it nice when LGBTQ* people call themselves these words in a mocking and reclaiming way though.

If someone like you told me that queer was a trigger word for them, I would do my best to avoid using it around them (slip ups happen). I understand how that word could be uncomfortable for some people. I just hate that we don't really have any other umbrella term.

5. bunnydee

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    1) Does anyone who has also had this word used viciously around them personally use it to describe themselves? if so how did you stop associating it with the hate you faced?
    Queer - I don't mind, but never had it used derogatory around me
    Faggot - I hate for the reasons you posted. Growing up it was the term everyone used to call someone they didn't like or thought were gay.
    Gay - I love but probably because I am old and it also means happy :slight_smile: and I am finally happy to say I am Gay.

about faggot yes.

3) If you use this word to describe yourself, do you/would you respect others when they asked you to not use it around them as it brings back bad memories? similar to a trigger word?
    I would never use any word around someone who told me it bothered them.

queer and gay I have not experienced its use in a hateful way.

5) Is there anyone who doesn't like the word who hasn't experienced it in a hateful way?
    queer even though I don't mind it, I still associate the dictionary term of 'odd' with it and I don't think we are odd.

6. Cel

Cel

I getcha, queer where I live isn't a nice word to say, it's kinda implied with disgust. Just relating back to my family, someone spreaded a rumor that my uncle called me queer and that threw everyone in flames. Mother was mad and wanted answers and so was my grandma but it turns out it wasn't true, just a trouble making "family member". Anyhow, the word isn't supposed to be nice, well at least down here.

7. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm still not quite sure what the word queer even means. I'm not sure I'd want my identity labeled as something that has been used to mean "peculiar, weird" even before becoming a vulgar insult.

8. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I used it briefly when I was unsure of my sexuality since I couldn't find a term to describe how I felt exactly. Although, to be honest, it always felt awkward to use for me. I didn't really like it but I couldn't find a better term.

I'd only ever heard it used as a slur or as another word for strange before I started hanging around LGBT forums so yeah, it still holds a somewhat negative meaning to me. Plus, it just sounds old-fashioned and weird. I don't mind if other people want to reclaim queer, faggot or dyke.

I did and I would if I still used it.

I haven't been called queer directly but it was a word I heard a lot growing up, I haven't been called a dyke before. Have been called a faggot before and it's surprising the one I'm most comfortable with.

5) Is there anyone who doesn't like the word who hasn't experienced it in a hateful way? There would be but I'm not one of those people :slight_smile: