1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What were / are your high school friends like?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ravenscarlett, Jan 29, 2017.

1. ravenscarlett

As of right now, I'm working to graduate early because the whole high school experience thing isn't for me, from the easy schoolwork to the crappy people. The friend group I'm in isn't the best. Most of them are people involved in theatre and I can't really change what friend group I'm in because I'm an assistant director of sorts and don't have time to see people too much outside of rehearsals and stage crew. Most of the people in the friend group are fair-weather friends and I'm generally sick of it. However, I do have a couple quality friends sprinkled here and there that I like and trust.

2. Gay GenderFluid

Out Status:
    All but family
    Well, my friend group is mostly straight and cisgender. One is bisexual, but that's it. I do have some closer friends that are pan/genderfluid/bigender/etc. but I don't really hang out with them.

For my friend group, I do enjoy them. They're a pain in the ass to educate (my friend asked me if I'm trans (ironically) and I responded yes and he gasped and asked if I had a penis very loudly on the bus) but they're funny. They're interesting and funny, but I'd have to talk to someone else about LGBT+ things, since they're sort of confused on all of it.

3. Lambeau

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I had one "die hard" best friend in high school, who I could talk to about anything. Everyone else I pretty much got along with, but they were all fair weather as you said. But now that I'm a senior in college, that one best friend I had in high school I never talk to outside of the "happy birthday! I know we haven't talked in forever, but I hope everything is going great for you!" posts on Facebook every year. And my "fair weather" friends have actually become my strongest group of friends.

None of my friends were openly LGBT in high school. Some have come out since, but I haven't talked to them since high school.

My advice is to not get caught up in what friends you have/don't have in high school, because the entire social dynamics of your class will fall apart as soon as you graduate and start going different ways.

4. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Even though I never personally got involved in theatre at my school, probably 2/3 of my friends from high school are theater kids. Out of my friends there, only 2 out of 10 of us were both Straight and Cis. Needless to say, they were all very open-minded people. they're all really friendly people and I miss them since most of us went our separate ways after graduating with the exception of one, my best friend, who goes to my college and I hang out with almost daily. They all had similar interests to me and were generally really happy people to be around.

#4 kibou97, Jan 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  5. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    My friend group in high school was not great. Of course, many of them had their own issues but instead of dealing with them or supporting each other, they just ignored all issues. The group coping method was super unhealthy and everyone just pretended to not be themselves. Kinda like LARPing 24/7/365. It was fun at first, playing these 'characters' we all made up, but for me it got really old, really fast. But of course, since it was the constant thing in the group, if you stopped and tried to be yourself, you were basically excluded from the group.

Honestly it was so bad, a few months after my mom died I tried to talk to one friend and she responded with something along the lines of "well my mother was a werewolf who was raped by vampires and abandoned me". :/

I had 1 friend out of a group of 5-7 people that was consistantly herself when we talked. She's not the only one I still talk to, but pretty much the only one I still consider a close friend.

I've met and made friends with so much better quality friends since leaving high school. Still the occassional ill-coping or pig-headed person, but it's also easier to leave those kinds of toxic relationships when you don't have to see them everyday.

6. Embi

Embi Guest

My friend group in high school consisted of the same people I'm friends with right now. They're all cishets and very uneducated about LGBTQ*-stuff. I like them, it's fun with them and I don't really want to lose them, but we are not close enough to be best friends and I really wish that I'd make some friends in the LGBTQ*-community. I don't feel 100% comfortable around my friends and that really sucks.

7. Jolly Hermione

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I never really had a group where I belonged. I'm getting along with everyone and I'm also always trying to keep it that way, so I changed a lot. However, I do believe it is because there was no one around I felt was thinking like me.
    Most people around me are not really interested in learning or working hard. When I was in High School most people wanted to be in my group (with group assignments), because then they didn't have to do anything. Well, let's say, it's kind of obvious why I didn't keep in touch with them...

8. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hung out with the metal heads and stoners when I was in high school. I wasn't a stoner but I was big into metal. I was kind of an outcast within the group of outcasts. I keep in touch with a few people from HS, one is still a great friend we will probably be friends forever. The others are cool but we aren't really even friends anymore they play in metal bands and tour around the state so they have their own thing going.

9. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    Most are cis/straight. I have one pan friend. I have a bi friend. And a trans. And a gay. So yeah. But I'm usually alone because I want to be.

10. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    They went to another school. Now that I've graduated, we are still great friends.

I guess I had acquaintances in high school. They were all super hyper freshmen.

11. Nanodae

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I didn't have any.
    I moved schools after the last high school where I was subjected to bullying all day every day with no friends to speak of. The teacher at the new school put me with a group of girls who I never had anything in common with. It was making me so miserable - a constant reminder of how I couldn't get on with anybody. I didn't find anyone else so in the end I just spent time in the library reading books making the year fly by.
    College passed with people who I thought were friends - nope..
    Now in uni, I've yet to make any friends, unfortunately the one I was very close to decided to cut ties because I'm gay.

Growing up, I now focus more on making a future for myself and trying not to get upset about not having friends like others all seem to. I know that I need to study to get a grounding and achieve my dream career. And it's going well.
    After I graduate I can then focus on making friends and being more social, travel and maybe even find someone. Right now I am making the most of my situation and I'm rather grateful.

12. Connorcode

Connorcode Guest

Terrible. Everyone was so competitive (it was a selective/very elitist school) that trying to get close to someone else was extremely difficult. Even if you did, it would burn out quickly.

I seriously isolated myself during the last 2 years of school, and I only had 1 "sort-of" friend who was nice to me. I think he understood me quite deeply but wasn't the type of guy to hang out with someone like me at the time.

Anyway, all my closest friends now are LGBT and I'm getting more sociable. I'm working towards a social happy place right now :slight_smile:

13. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They were a bunch of nerds; from band geeks (like actually formed bands), anime otakus, and the like. But if you mean as far as being LGBTQ goes, I was the only queer one of the group. An ex friend might have been bisexual, but I'm not sure.

14. Ljjgreat2017

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    My high school "friends" were probably a mixture of different people. I didn't really have a "friend group" back in high school. My social life didn't really exist in high school. I had people that I shook hands with/fist-bumped but that was about it. So it's hard to describe.

15. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I didn't have any. Typically I ate lunch alone or with a teacher unless someone sat by me out of pity.

16. Terry Ja

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My friends were geeks and loners. It was horrible. I was a loner too. With most of my friends--it was only one or two generations before them that their families had begun to bury their dead, if you know what I mean.I did not participate in much at school. Mt social life was in my neighborhood.

17. Sebulba

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think a 9 hour long tour of Dante's Hell would be far more enjoyable than high school was for me

18. SillyGoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I hang around a group of people but I only really like a few of them.
    There is:
    - the dramatic one
    - the bisexual one
    - the smart one
    - the sporty one
    - the bitchy one
    - the sociopathic one
    - me, the closeted quiet one
    Like a garbage 90's teen drama

19. Blackrainbow

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm still fairly close to three particular friends I had in school, and friendly with several more people that were more 'friends of friends' to me. What I have noticed in almost all of them (and in myself too) is how much more compassionate and outward-looking they've become in growing in to adults. This is not meant as an insult to anyone still in their teens, but I think in a way it's natural for teenagers to see their own problems as separate entities without relation to other people's, since you're just growing up and still trying to work out your own identity. Maybe goes less for today's young teenagers since the internet readily offers much more in the way of help with discovering your identity and giving names to the things you experience around you, and encourages you to join communities of other people going through the same things.

Both myself and my friends really only gained a more nuanced and educated awareness of things like social politics, race, gender and sexuality when we had left high school and were entering in to our twenties. Whilst I had pretty much known I liked girls since I was sixteen, I never opened up to my friends about it until we'd left school and they started to show they cared about LGBT people and their problems. Likewise, we only started to discuss problems like depression that we'd suffered, when we noticed a more empathetic attitude in the group towards mental health.

I've always loved my friends but it's only now we've left school that I really know who they are. I think they'd say the same thing.

20. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I had "friends" but nobody I felt super close to. One of them was a friend from elementary school, then 3 I made senor year when I started not giving a shit.