1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did anyone here come out to their parents first?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Canterpiece, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm out to a few of my friends, and I tend to find that they ask me stuff like "Why haven't you told your parents?" and remark that if they were gay, they'd want to tell/ speak to their family about it first before they speak about it to others. Which is odd considering one of my friends (whom is straight) who says stuff like this has homophobic parents. :/

I think the point they're trying to make is that they usually confide in their family about things first, but for me I've always found talking about most things easier with friends than with family.

But anyway, these comments got me wondering...did anyone here come out to their parents first before anyone else? If so, why? If not, who was the first person you came out to? :slight_smile:

2. Lacayda

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am one of the people that came out to my parents first. I actually didn't want to, I wanted to talk to my friends first, because I didn't know how my parents would react. (I expected them to react positive but you never know for sure...).

But one day my mum started to ask me questions about my "preferred type of men". I didn't really know what to say but she kept asking over and over (she thought I just didn't want to tell her). Then she asked sth. like:"what should your husband be like?" And I was like "Can you please just stop asking those questions?!"

Then she wanted to make a joke that didn't turn out that good:"do you want to marry a woman then?" I didn't know what to say but started to cry. And that's it, outed to my mum. Btw she was completely fine with it:icon_bigg We talked for quite a while and in the everning she told my dad, who is also fully accepting.

I think it's great to know that your parents are supporting you but it's the most horrifying thing to actually tell them.

3. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I told my mom first. I'm incredibly close to her, so it made sense.

4. Justinian20

I don't always confide in my parents since I know they'll react in a way that makes me feel really bad. So I came out to my friends first, knowing a lot of them weren't homophobic in grade 12.

Also when I first told my parents they had a horrible reaction saying I couldn't be gay. That they had checked, that certainly caused me to trust my parents even less. They also told me untrue facts which I resent.

5. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, and I get why not. I'm much more likely to talk about something with my bff than my mom. It has to do with personal preference, I guess.

6. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that depends how close one is to their family. I have never been close to many family member, and as such, did not go to them first. In fact, parents were second last on the list.

The first person I told was a teacher. The second was this forum. The third was my older brother. The fourth was my parents. The fifth was a therapist (talk about cause and effect). And the last coming out I intend sometime late this year, to send a letter or FB message to siblings, parents again, notable extended family. Hopefully that will be the end of the chapter.

7. sonic1337111

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I didn't infact i came out to one of my friends who i massively trust first (who also either conveniently or coincidentally ended up being my first kiss)

8. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I first came out, it was as a lesbian and my whole school pretty much knew before my parents did. However, when I came out as transgender I told my parents first, then close friends.

9. Jolly Hermione

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out to my sister first, then my best friend and then my parents. So no. I think it's quite difficult to come out to your parents first, I don't know why... Maybe because they've known you from your very first moment on this earth...?

10. Ljjgreat2017

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I haven't come out to my parents yet. The reason for this is because I don't feel ready to. I've only come out to certain people, such as one friend (who I no longer see for whatever reason), a women who works at my college, and a counselor. But that's about it.

All I can say is take your time. Don't rush it.

11. BigDaddy

I came out at school first. It took me a long time to finally come out to my mom. That person is straight so they don't understand how much harder it is.

12. purplepuppy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I haven't come out to them yet; various people have different degrees of knowledge about me. Only my closest friend knows everything.

13. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    nahh, I didn't, I first came out to a few friends, and then my sis. Didn't tell my parents until i got to adulthood. I did it because I knew how their reactions would be so it didn't really surprise me. People, straight people, just don't understand what it's like to do that. I like to think people don't understand situations, until it happens to them.

14. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I came out to my mom because the boyfriend I had at the time would call constantly whenever I would go and visit. One day, my mom and I were in the house by ourselves and he had called at least four times throughout my visit. After the last call, my mom confronted me in regards to if I was gay and she gave her reasons for thinking so. I did come forth with the truth about my sexuality. Afterwards, she told me that what I just shared with her would stay between the two of us. She also mentioned that she will not share the information with any of my siblings and felt that I should be able to share it if and when I am ready to do so. Needless to say, not too long after I left her house, she had contacted all of my siblings, aunts, cousins, uncles, etc. and relayed the news to them about me being gay. Unfortunately for me...this where the abandonment, disowning me as a family member began.

15. Kimberley

I came out to my brother first and then a couple weeks after I told my mum. To be honest not telling my friends was primarily motivated by the fact that I didn't want someone else to tell her I was gay, especially considering that she is extremely homophobic I wanted more control over the situation, which now, all things considered is working out reasonably well.

The order in which we tell people or whether we do at all is personal preference and I think it just depends on that certain individuals circumstances. No real right or wrong way to do it though, just however you feel comfortable. For me my mum was the biggest hurdle and now I've told her I'm so happy with myself as I don't have to hide anything.

16. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  17. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I did too.

18. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Me three.

19. Boudicca

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I told my mom before anyone else. Now all my friends know, but I still haven't told my dad.

20. guitar

I came out to a few very close friends first (the first person I came out to was gay), then my brother, then my parents. My folks - as far as me coming out - were among the first probably 5-6 people to know.