1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intercultural exchange

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by anthracite, Feb 2, 2017.

1. anthracite

anthracite Guest

Soo after all we are an international site and come from many different places. I think we could do a thread like this where we can ask each other about our countries, even questions that sound stupid at first like, do germans drink really a lot of beer (yes, we do) or how many guns the american guys have :wink:

How about traditions, or annual celebrations/parties?

2. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Americans: can one of you please explain American football? It makes no sense to me whatsoever. What are the rules and how can such a confusing sport get so popular?
    Also, do American kids really go to school on yellow buses or is that just in movies?
    Is it weird to live in one country that has different time zones and climates?
    Why don't you have electric kettles?
    Why is it so important for Americans to own a car? Even teenagers?

Sorry, I have loads of questions about the USA.

As for Germany, why do Germans always sound so angry when they talk?

3. SiKiHe

I don't know much about American football, I'm not a sporty guy.

Yes, the yellow school buses are real and everywhere. What are school buses like in england?

It's only weird with time zones when you have friends that live in different ones. But you get used to it fast.

kettles: We do, we just don't use them. I bought one in walmart awhile back but rarely used it.

Cars: It's a right of passage, and since most states arn't cramped like new york city, you often have to drive to get anywhere. Having a car is a symbol of independence.

#3 SiKiHe, Feb 3, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  4. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    School buses aren't really a thing where I am, most people cycle, walk or are driven in by their parents.
    Thanks for your answers!

5. Flowey

do Germans usually stand still during concert? A question prompted by my cousin when she claimed that Spaniards were way more ensthusiastic than Germans.

6. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Um, I think the point is to get the ball to the other end of the field, and you tackle the opposing team members if they have the ball. And it's popular because it's aggressive.
    Yes, kids go to school on the yellow school buses.
    No. I grew up dealing with that. So it seems normal to me. But I do recognize it is unique, as I have noticed by now that most countries are much smaller than America and fit into a single timezone.
    What is an electric kettle?
    It makes getting around a lot easier. And it makes taking things easier. And taking your friends place easier.
    Oh my god, my life would be so much easier with a car. I would have more options for places to work.
    I would also be able to go out of town and stuff.

---------- Post added 3rd Feb 2017 at 12:33 PM ----------

If there are any Russians on here, is it true that you aren't allowed to portray homosexuality in a positive light to people under 18? What if like, your kid just like, asks you a question about homosexuality? Are you supposed to say it's bad, even if you don't think it is? Is this a real law? How does this law work?

---------- Post added 3rd Feb 2017 at 12:35 PM ----------

Canadians, do you have any sort of constitution type thing protecting your rights like us Americans have?

---------- Post added 3rd Feb 2017 at 12:37 PM ----------

When I said it makes "taking things" easier I meant it makes taking objects places easier.

7. anthracite

anthracite Guest

Reciprocal: Oh, the angry germans. I would guess it's a clichee which came from Rammstein and Hitler :wink: Otherwise I could explain it that we don't have a th which is kinda soft ("the" with german accent usually ends as "se") and all of this sch which is associated with our all time favourite word scheiße.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nwAL06N3XX4 This clip is from a comedy show. Do they sound angry?

@Salty Lemon: I can only speak for rock and metal and it's a bit true. Usually it takes one band for us to warm up, especially because there are fewer people there. At first we buy shirts, get a good place and send someone to get beer. But then we jump and sing along and have some mosh pits.

To the english dudes: Is tea time a real thing and if yes, is it everyday?

8. bulbul

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    When Americans travel abroad, do you make it a goal to mix with the locals and other visitors of the countries you visit? Is that why Americans strike up conversations at any time? Or is it something you do back home too?

9. Tre

Tre

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm Canadian, but I'll answer anyways.
    1. I'm not into sports.
    2. I do see yellow school busses, but I've never personally used one unless I was going on a field trip.
    3. Not really.
    4. I don't know about Americans, but Canadians do have electric kettles. I use them for tea or ramen noodles.
    5. Because everything is extremely far apart. It drives me crazy. When I was talking to my polish friend he thought it was weird I had to take the bus to travel from the mall to downtown.

10. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Anthracite, "tea time" is a main meal eaten at about 5-6pm, every day. It's nothing to do with the drink tea. However, there is "afternoon tea" which is tea (the drink) and cakes/scones, and is a posh person thing, not something your average Joe would do every day.

11. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know almost nothing about American football so I can't help there. American kids also use the yellow school buses whenever they go on a trip to somewhere else during the day. The time zone/climate thing isn't really weird for me because I've lived generally in the same area in the US all my life but I'd imagine it would impact somebody more if they have to travel a lot. I'm really not sure why most Americans, including myself, don't use electric kettles. Other than the fact that things are more spread out in the US, it's also really common for teenagers to start getting jobs when they turn 16 and having their own means of transportation is easier than constantly relying on your parents.

Kind of a mix of both. Lot's of people do want to get to know the locals in other countries as well as learn about the culture first-hand. At the same time though, it's fairly common in most places of America for people to hold small conversations, even if they're only a few sentences being exchanged with someone who works somewhere just as a way of being polite.

12. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's absolutely something we do both while traveling and back home. It comes off as rather odd to non-Americans doesn't it?:lol:

13. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    To any residents of landlocked countries, is it weird not having a single beach in your entire country?
    Or even landlocked states in the USA.
    As someone who lives in Oregon, the idea of not having a beach in my country/region is mind-boggling.

14. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not really, It would be weird for somebody who used to live near a beach and then moved where there isn't one but as somebody who doesn't live anywhere near a beach, it feels completely normal to not be near one.

For those who live in smaller areas where there isn't a variety of schools to go to, was it ever annoying to not have multiple options for schools to go to? There are a bunch of high schools in the city I'm from so it's always been normal to have some options for where you want your education to be besides universities.

#14 kibou97, Feb 3, 2017
  15. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    The big yellow school busses, rode one for an hour every morning and again every afternoon. One thing about my youth I don't miss.

Have a large Amish Colony where I live, they still use horse and buggy to get around.

Trying to learn German...

Anthracite, tell me about Rottenberg, Wurtenburg (sure I didn't spell that rite) it is where my family came from in about 1850. Thanks!

16. bunnydee

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You have options for High Schools to go to? I live in Georgia in USA and we have assigned schools by where you reside. You don't have a choice.

American football can be seen as strange. It is bot like football or rugby that most know. "The aim of the game is to get the ball into the opponent’s ‘end zone’. This can be done by running it in there or passing it to a player in the zone. There are 11 players on each team and the game is split into 15 minute quarters with a sudden death 15 minute period if the scores are tied at the end. Each team is allowed three time outs per half."

There is also a version of American football called Arena Football. It is played in a small indoor arena with similar rules but a party goes on at the same time in the stands. The players on the field will sometimes stop playing to dance to the music playing. I much prefer arena football to the standard.

Does England, Germany or anywhere else have vehicle races like Nascar?

---------- Post added 4th Feb 2017 at 12:00 AM ----------

*not like

17. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Guns? I own a Pedsolli, didn't spell that right,45 cal black powder rifle and A Remington shot gun for hunting.. There are people that own way too many guns. No one really needs a rife with a 100 round clip or for that matter a handgun either but it is part of our rights I guess.

18. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    From where I'm from in northern Kentucky, you get assigned a "home school" you can go ahead and go to but if you want, you can apply to go to anther high school and with the exception of a few public schools, you would probably be accepted and you could go there instead.

#18 kibou97, Feb 3, 2017
  19. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Bunny, don't forget you have 4 attempts to go 10 yards, if you don't make the ten yards the other team gets a chance.

20. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Can Americans or fans of this sport please explain...

What is the appeal of NASCAR races? I learned a bit about it when playing racing (Gran Turismo) video games and I was bored out of my mind on the NASCAR courses :confused: