1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have you ever felt like you don't fit in anywhere??

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Georgia111, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Georgia111

Hi everyone, just need some advice. I feel like don't don't fit in anywhere!! First of all, I don't have any LGBT friends...they're all totally straight! And the few friends that no I'm straight claim to accept it but still choose to bash gays around me!! I have this one friend that constantly laughs at gays and even called me weird for being bi and I just smiled because besides that she's a really good friend but in my mind I was just trying like wtf?!! I feel like there's nobody like me :/ have u ever felt alone? What did you do to improve your situation?

2. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh my god yes! Even in the gay community! Oh well guess I'm the outsider which makes me, me. :slight_smile:

3. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah I don't feel like I fit in my high school.

4. Ljjgreat2017

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Yes. I have felt on so many occasions. I felt that way in high school, even college. I have felt left out for having self-confidence issues/problems, being LGBT+, being more outspoken, and others that I can't think of or don't feel like mentioning. It sucks to feel left out. But I've learned that there is something unique about not fitting in.

What I did to improve my duration was really time.

If you feel like you don't fit in, don't feel bad. Just try to embrace and find like-minded people.

5. Jolly Hermione

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I also felt like I don't fit in anywhere.

Maybe you have to... let go of people who are hurting you, try a sports club, or something you like. Maybe then you feel like you fit in somewhere.

6. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ugh, I can relate to this. My two closest friends are straight, and they like to make gay jokes about me all the time, as well as jokes about me "turning straight or bi", they like to make jokes about me finding "the right guy" because they know it makes me uncomfortable. It's weird because it usually goes "haha, you're so gay" to "lol wouldn't it be funny if you met a guy that you fell deeply in love with and lost your interest in women and did a complete U-haul on your identity?" Um...I guess? :confused: And sometimes if I complement a guy's outfit I get "Hey look, I think (my name) is developing an interest in men, she's part way to becoming a normal functioning human being!".

But I mean, that's just my group's sense of humour- we like to poke fun at each other a lot, and I know they don't actually think I'm broken or abnormal, they just like to joke about it. Same with my left-handedness, they like to joke about me being the "devil child" but I know they're only messing. :icon_wink

However, it does start to cross a line when they call people fags or whatever, that's usually when I let my discomfort be known. Each group is different, so if they're seriously gay bashing- then that's another issue entirely. Even if they are just joking, if you don't feel comfortable with it- you shouldn't have to put up with it.

I have felt alone yes, I think that was part of the reason I joined here really. I do have some gay and bi friends, so I tend to go to them if my other friends are annoying me- usually they can relate. But since you don't have any LGBT friends that isn't really an option for you, but still- you can always talk about it here.

#6 Canterpiece, Feb 5, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  7. Embi

Embi Guest

I relate! All my friends are cishet and even though they aren't homophobic, they are a little ignorant and I don't feel comfortable being open when I'm with them. They also ignore that I came out to them completely, so yeah, it sucks. And the LGBTQ* community doesn't always want people like me because I'm "not gay enough", so I have a hard time trying to make friends that are queer since I'm afraid of their reaction (and also quite shy) :icon_sad:

8. bulbul

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    That's how I feel all the time, I'm very different from everyone else I know, my interests, hobbies, standards, principles, philosophies even the types of music and movies that I like. I don't know about everyone else but it makes life even more lonely.

9. Loveislife

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yes! Obviously I don't fit in with the straights, but sometimes I feel 'too feminine' to really fit in with the lesbians either - I know I'm not the only 'quite feminine' lesbian out there, I know many femmes but I still feel like I'm in a whole other category sometimes.

10. anthracite

anthracite Guest

Yes. But because of intelligence, not LGBT stuff. It's a main part of me and will always be. It means growing up in isolation. You can't talk openly to anyone because you're "that professor" or at the very least no one can follow your thoughts. Sherlock had a very nice metaphor for it. You're alone in a plane up in the sky.

You need to learn how to fly that super complex thing. No one there to teach you. I have barely seen examples when it didn't crash eventually. And so did I.

11. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah sometimes but I feel right at home with people who share very similar interests. I'd be willing to bet the vast majority of my acquaintances are straight

I'd try to educate someone for their own good if they were an otherwise great friend. I'd drop them like a hot potato otherwise or if they failed to stop hating on gays or whatever

12. europeanguy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    i feel like i have my own little island, its just me on it, and nobody can be on it except me, and i can't leave either. i just dont have anything i feel like im a part of. i feel like an observer looking in, despite having something that would qualify me to be apart of it.

for example, im gay, yet i dont feel a part of the LGBT community, im autistic (basically defined as whats another word for aspergers level), yet i dont feel like im a part of that community either

13. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Been there for a while now. Kind of some twilight zone thing were I fit in every where and nowhere at the same time. It would be nice to know people in real life that understood.

14. darkbulan

everywhere and everyday...

15. geekyboy18

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I used to feel like I didn't belong anywhere quite a lot before I went to university, now there seems to be a lot of people with similar interests to me, as well as a lot more openly LGBT people. However, there are still times when I'm with a group of friends, and I find it hard to join the conversation. It's times like that I feel like I don't fit in.

16. bunnydee

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    First off I think we all feel that way at times regardless of our orientation or anything else. But you do have friends - here. And by the way I am in Georgia as well so there you go.
    :slight_smile:

As for your irl friends, talk to your friend that makes the jokes and explain that it bothers you. If they are a good enough friend to keep, they will understand and stop. If not, not worth having around.

17. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Every damn day

18. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I do feel like I don't fit around family members. Ever since its been acknowledged that I am gay...family life has not been kind to me over the years. In fact, I have not been around them for so many years. The few times that I have been in their presence has been due to the fact that I have spent the weekend with the one sister that I did have a relationship with and they would come and visit with her while I was there. Although, I do speak to them when they come around..however, I do slip away into the guest bedroom and close the door to be alone because you can fill the tension in the air which makes me feel very unwelcome.

19. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Often. I've never been a conformist.

It can cause problems. But I think, "Hey, it's your problem."

20. jenne

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah that's basically my life! I don't even feel part of the lgbt community yet because I'm only surrounded by straight people and I have never met a gay girl or bi!! I know..it sucks!! I hope that will change when I leave this place forever!