1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why I hate being a picky eater.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Canterpiece, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hate being a picky eater because of all the misconceptions people hold of it, they think that you're just trying to be awkward or that you're purposefully trying to upset them. People tell you to just eat the foods you dislike, but it isn't that simple. I WISH it was that simple, I really do- but there are some foods were I involuntarily gag at just the sight of. And that isn't just some exaggeration, my mouth does gag.

People who aren't picky (that I've talked to- especially those that claim they'll eat practically anything), they just don't get it. They ask you to explain but they never really listen to what you're saying, you tell them that you feel sick at the sight of particular foods, you tell them how certain smells make you uncomfortable and overwhelmed, but you might as well be talking to a brick wall. All they care about is the food you don't like that they like, going into detail on why they like it so much- all the reasons that make you feel feelings of sickness towards it.

People call you selfish, and in a way I guess it is. You feel guilty but you know that you can never like certain foods because of the amount of discomfort they bring you. Yeah, it's in your head but it's still all too real. You look at certain foods, and part of your brain goes "This isn't right, this doesn't look edible" and wants nothing to do with it.

On a good day, they'll be at least two things on the menu at a restaurant that I'll actually eat. It should be noted that I still manage to have a healthy diet despite this, since there are plenty of fruit and veg I like, but the thing is- I like what would be described as others as "plain food", it's simple and you can tell what's in it just by looking at it. I don't like overly clashing tastes.

There are certainly times when I wonder how I turned out this way, people have tried to get me to like certain foods but it just doesn't work. I know it has been found that when people have rather particular tastes it tends to be somewhat genetic.

Some people like to think I enjoy making it harder for others, I don't- and if I could I would turn off the part of my brain that keeps telling me that certain things aren't good to eat when they actually are, the part that turns my gag reflex on and makes me uncomfortable to be near certain people when they are eating certain things. It would be alright if I disliked the more uncommon items of food, then people would understand and not yell at me and threaten to send me to therapy (like that's even a threat- I think I might benefit from therapy someday, but some people act like looking for therapy is a bad thing).

I hate how obsessive I can be and how I have such a strong desire to be in control of my food, and that it has to be a certain way for my body to approve. I don't want to be this way, I don't want to inconvenience people, all I want to do is be able to have food I enjoy- I somewhat envy people that have practically no preference in food, those that can go about their happy little lives without knowing what it's like to not be able to get close to someone who's eating a certain food without feeling heavy feelings of disgust and discomfort, and what it's like to see a shrivelled up piece of lettuce at the sink and have your stomach twist and your mouth gag uncontrollably, or when you find it hard to eat food with others due to loud talking or overbearing smells.

...I'm somewhat misophonic, and slightly (only slightly) mysophobic... so yeah...that doesn't help my dislike of certain foods. :eusa_doh:

#1 Canterpiece, Feb 7, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  2. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I hate that you're a picky eater to. But it's what makes you who you are. So I love you for that.

3. PianoKeys

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I was a picky eater but I wanted to impress a lady by not being picky so I started to taste bugs to to me weird fish :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: and...Durian....it tastes awfull and I tried it three times...lol...now I am not so much of a picky eater anymore. I am sorry I do not want to make u feel bad but it is a mind thing. If u have nothing left....u eat...its a first world problem. U can get over it, but its just not really high priority..

It is okay though just be you and enjoy :grin: * offers all kinds of random food*