1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do people live in communities on deserted islands?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PianoKeys, Feb 12, 2017.

1. PianoKeys

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I almost consider a life like that, but...I cannot.. haha but its nice to dream or consider communities. I heard from a friend of mine there's a self sufficient community in Portugal for example.

Never heard much about an island, except for a married Australian couple moving to a remote island and started a B&B there to get some income here and there.

And of course it makes sense , they would not be in touch much with the world then again satellite internet?

Anyone ever heard something about such communities and where they are ?

2. Sketchy

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Oooh I have to contribute to this; I actually come from Lundy Island, off the coast of Devon!

My parents still live there but I moved to Brighton for art college. There's only like 20-something residents, and a whole lot of birds. We had like one shop! It was beautiful though. My parents run a B&B (actually, I think all the residents do!) and everyone who goes there loves it. We did have internet (;

I moved as you can imagine to chase my dreams, but it's a premium retirement colony, and I have fond childhood memories of it.

3. PianoKeys

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Ooooo I envy you, that sounds very nice !!! Do you visit back often ?

For kids its safe to explore around and all that :grin: Nice! Healthy !

I feel like retreating to something like that for a few days, I really need time away asap. So who knows : D Is it that island that has good weather because of its position? I dont want rain. I probably end up in Swiss or Italy or something anyway

4. Sketchy

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Haha yeah I always feel very appreciative of my upbringing there. I visit when I can, usually in the big holidays so I can also help mum and dad with the B&B :slight_smile:

It's Britain, so I can't promise no rain xD But yeah the weather's better than the mainland I think, especially down South where all the population is, and in the summer and spring (this is also when the flora is the most interesting). I guess I'm biased, but I really would recommend it it's so so beautiful, and there's so much wildlife because of the tiny population.

It's definitely better for a rest and 'get back to nature' holiday, rather than a beach or action packed holiday, so it's not for everyone, but it really is a wonderful place.

5. GalleyGirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Your from Devon? I'm from Cornwall next door! Don't live on an island but i do live in the middle of a field miles from the nearest village of like 1,000 people (my college is bigger than this village)- so can relate with feeling isolated!

6. PianoKeys

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    If I go I will let you know : D since it is so exclusive I think at the moment it will probably be to expensive for me. But I will be planning a couple days away in two weeks time :grin:

Ah Rain is fine as long as its warm, and not constantly raining haha Ireland was lovely to, looking at the GoT wall in the rain (which really is just a far away prop) . And it was not so cold : D

7. Zoe Izumi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The answer is no, because it can't be deserted AND have people living there.

=P

8. PianoKeys

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Sigh : P *opens the door* Get out !

JK

Okay, would you live on a deserted island that would make it not deserted but only inhabited by you ?

9. Sketchy

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Aha! Hey neighbour xD Actually I've never been to Cornwall; everyone assumes I have when I say I'm from Devon haha. I totally mean to go some day, if only to say I have been. Really get the college:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:opulation thing - jeeze Brighton was such a shock first time. Still is sometimes even now!

10. PianoKeys

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Ahhhh *gets popcorn* Love this survivalist islanders and Cornwallers talk, so exotic so different! So much to learn *takes notes*