1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Views on the use of the word faggot

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by OtherMe, Feb 13, 2017.

?

Is the word faggot offesnsive?

1. Not Offensive

10 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. Depends

39 vote(s)
    55.7%
  3. Offensive

21 vote(s)
    30.0%
  1. OtherMe

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Not too sure if this is allowed so sorry if not, what are peoples views on others using the word faggot? Do you find it offensive and if so why, and if you don't then again if so why? Personally if my mates use it I don't get offended as it's all in jest but at the same time I get why some get offended.
    What are your guys thoughts? :slight_smile:

2. killswitch0029

I don't really get offended by anything so it doesn't matter to me. If it pops up in a joke unless the joke is stupid or not humorous I laugh because it's a joke and I have a fucked up sense of humor. Hell, when I'm playing video games and there's a boss giving me trouble it's one of the first words that gets thrown at em.

3. anthracite

anthracite Guest

Depends. I heard some gay people use it among friends like black people call each other nigga.

4. GalleyGirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't like it, because the word faggot actually comes from the old word for bundle of sticks- which is what Mussolini used to describe his party hence where we get the word 'facist' from, as he used it as a metaphor for working together to become strong. (Ironic given the number of people executed under his dictatorship.) So technically you're calling someone a facist, most people don't know this, I appreciate, but it annoys me enough that I'd correct them- as for offended? Only if they meant it offensively.

5. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It really depends on my mood if i find something offensive or not. Now, if i'm already feeling bad about one thing or another, i will get ridiculously upset over it. But when i'm on top of my game, i'm generally pretty tolerant and laid back about it. It is what it is and being all offended won't change their opinions. You don't need to and you can't, really. I have an 'okay. so what?' sort of reaction provided i'm feeling 100%. I've always been of the opinion that a bully just makes themselves look bad and that's all they accomplish.

I also try to take in the context of the comment. Most of the time when i'm around something that could be taken offensively, its all in good humor. Its not meant to hurt. So sure its might be in poor taste, but its whatever. I don't really care then either.

All that being said i've yet to be around a gay joke during my short period of identifying as gay myself.

#5 AlexJames, Feb 13, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2017
  6. Snow

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't like the word at all. I don't say it and I don't like it when other people say it.

7. Sinopaa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unless it's my close friends joking around I won't tolerate it. People can reclaim the word if they want, but I'd prefer to let it fade away into history.

8. Sinopaa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hope that was worth wasting everyone's life to make.

9. jaska

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i can see why its offensive, but derogatory words dont hurt anyone, so i dont see a problem with it.

10. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Depends. If a person uses it in a good-natured way, fine. If they mean to insult with it, they'll probably succeed. But it also lowers the person using it, so the net result is about even.

11. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Depends on intention.

12. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not offensive to me but I can see how it would offend others. It used to hurt my feelings a lot as a kid, when I was called a faggot but now I don't care. I don't care if people use it jokingly or as an insult or to reclaim it. Because first, I'm not generally upset by jokes unless they go way too far. Secondly, it's a lazy insult, I've heard it thrown around so much that it doesn't bother me anymore and it's a little laughable really. I don't care what words people want to use to describe themselves either. But I wouldn't say that "faggot" is not offensive. It isn't to me but that doesn't make it the case for everyone. So I chose "depends"...

13. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    depends for me. I don't mind it, you give words more power if you let it get to you. I hear it so many times, from the gaming community, to work, even at a random concert. The same way I feel about the word nigger, how you want to talk is up to you, though I'd probably respect you less for using it every single time. Some people don't understand the meaning behind the word, and it shows just how much they know.

14. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Me and my friends call each other faggot sometimes as a joke. As an actual gay individual, I don't find it offensive at all. It's just a collection of sounds. As with any word, it's the meaning you put behind it when you use it that really makes it offensive or not.
    I'm really not the kind of person who cares if something is offensive or not, though. There are more important things to worry about than being offended by something so silly.

---------- Post added 13th Feb 2017 at 11:35 PM ----------

Totally, man.

15. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That is a word that I typically associate with being a derogatory slur. I wouldn't use it, personally, as I can think of only negative conotations in relation to its use.

#15 Kodo, Feb 13, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  16. HojaVioleta

People who have been/are oppressed by the word can use it, and get to decide who can use it to refer to them.

17. Ljjgreat2017

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    It depends on the context and the situation. If someone uses it in a hostile, aggressive, or disrespectful tone, then I would have a problem with it.

If someone uses the word "faggot" while talking about the effects of homophobia, then that wouldn't bother me at all. If I heard the word in a joke (when the person is talking against homophobia), then I wouldn't be offended either.

I would be pissed only if it was used in a insulting and disrespectful way.

18. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Distasteful. In certain situations if a gay person is saying it I might be okay with that because most of the time they mean something else by it. Otherwise I'm not okay with it regardless of the situation.

I watch a lot of comedy and I don't really remember anyone using that word to make other people laugh, in fact most successful comedians use words very carefully because their goal is to ridicule, show the irony of society, and not simply offend people by using politically loaded words just for the sake of it. There are other less offending words that you can use if you're trying to make a statement.

#18 pinkpanther, Feb 14, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  19. peachygogh

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If used with offensive intentions, I despise it. My friends and I for the most part, are all gay, so sometimes one of us will greet one another with "Hey faggot." Its kind of similiar to the N word and black people, if you're black, you can say it. If you're gay, you can say it.

20. HuskyLover

Depends. If a friend of mine is using it towards me I wouldn't mind. Same when a gay guy uses it towards another gay guy, nothing I would care about.