1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weirdly Reassuring Response to Coming Out

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Riverhawk, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Riverhawk

Riverhawk Guest

One of my biggest fears about when I came out was that people would say something along the lines of "I had a feeling you were" or "I always wondered". I thought that I would feel like I did a bad job hiding it or I would feel insulted that people thought it was so obvious. I also thought I'd be embarrassed that everyone else saw it and they were just waiting for the day when I would admit it.

It turns out I was wrong. When I came out to my parents, they had a response that implied that they had a feeling I was gay. When they told me this I felt an overwhelming sense of relief and here's why:
    When I came out, I thought I was dropping this bombshell on people and that was one of the reasons why it was so hard to say it to people. When people tell me that they thought I might be gay, I'm relieved knowing that I'm not giving them life altering news. They don't think of me any differently than they did before and I think that's truly wonderful. I'm still the same person I was and I'm the same person they knew.

I just thought I should share this experience in case anyone is nervous or afraid that people will tell them that they always had a feeling they were gay. Now here's a video of Brad coming out to Sue Heck on "The Middle" because I always get a little choked up when I watch it and it's pretty similar to how I came out to my sister. Enjoy!:thumbsup:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nqjClvrpmtU