1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heterosexual envy

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Riverhawk, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Riverhawk

Riverhawk Guest

Do you ever envy heterosexual couples? Don't get me wrong, I completely accept that I'm gay and I'm fine with that. However, we grow up seeing heterosexual couples everywhere and we grow up imagining adult life as part of a heterosexual pair raising biological childeren that are half us and half the person we love. Furthermore, we grow up with adults that are assuming that we are heterosexual and making comments about our future significant others.

So I guess when I see heterosexual sex on tv or a heterosexual couple being perfectly cute, I'm just jealous of what could have been. The relationships I could have had. How easy a crush could be. How nobody bats an eye when you kiss in public. I know that I can't blame anyone for it but I just get envious sometimes. Thoughts?

2. Sinopaa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh yeah. This Valentines day was a great example of that. I went to three different card stores to get my girlfriend something and could only find neutral or hetero cards. When we held hands while watching a lake people stood and gawked at us like we were doing something weird. One person had the audacity to tell us we were ruining the scenery. The comments under peoples breath, guys trying to hit on me in public when we're clearly a couple and making her feel bad...it gets to you after awhile. Don't even get me started on the awful depictions of trans romance in movies and TV. The closest to a romance we could find was 2015's Boy Meets Girl.

#2 Sinopaa, Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  3. PianoKeys

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    We could always kickstart a movie !?

---------- Post added 15th Feb 2017 at 12:21 PM ----------

And I do feel that sometimes, especially how much easier it is to get in a relationship

4. Sinopaa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can see it now...a romantic comedy lesbian trans female movie that has the story based around the romance rather than the typical "she's trans and I'm attracted yet sexually confused by her while she's a criminal/forced sex worker/dies so the lead can grow as a character/shunned by society and needs a pity saving" narrative. *wacks Jared Leto with a newspaper* No Leto! Stay away from this script! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. PianoKeys

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hahahahaha before I entered the topic I saw a knocked out Leto

Yeah, just start the scene and not a whooole introduction to some typical moral hero struggle that you described.

Okay or what romantic comedy do u like and could imagine replaced by all trans,les, whichever characters ?

6. Sketchy

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Sorry but straight away my mind thought Love Actually, but gay. xD

7. Sinopaa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    50 shades of grey! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: In all seriousness, I'd like to see something akin to 2013's About Time. I think the revisiting your past time-travel mistakes concept would work really well with LGBT themes. :slight_smile:

#7 Sinopaa, Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  8. PianoKeys

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Never saw love actually ! Only the ending a lot because I worked at the cinema's during those days : D

About time ? Also never seen it ! But the concept op time traveling with LGBT is fresh ! Nice idea !

9. Tijopi

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    It didn't used to bother me but now my sister's getting married while I've never dated, and it makes be jealous how much easier it is finding an opposite sex companion who might actually be interested in you. All my crushes eventually got boyfriends :/

10. Sinopaa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's a British film that feels like a romantic themed Butterfly Effect. The dialogue and background story is what really pushes the film forward as it fleshes out all the characters. He starts off somewhat selfish and eventually learns that you sometimes have to go through life's hardships in order to have a better future rather than avoiding them. Like his father is destined to pass away from cancer, but he refuses to accept it. For years he keeps traveling to see his father and try to stop it until he realizes that his life isn't moving forward and others are suffering in the future because he won't let go. Really powerful stuff.

11. Ozma

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't envy the hetero-ness of it, I just envy that it seems much easier for them to get a date.

12. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Used to, but now I sort of pity them :/

13. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've never been in a relationship with a woman yet, so I haven't directly faced this kind of thing. I do feel like homosexual aren't seen to be as real or as serious as heterosexual relationships though, and, of course, there is the fact that everyone expects me to like dudes, until I directly tell them I don't. That kind of thing doesn't bother me much, but it does make finding dating advice online and things like that a little...idk different.
    Anyway, for a long time, I felt uncomfortable with the idea of dating a woman despite my feelings towards them, because I am afraid of it not being seen as real love. My feelings are as real and serious as anyone else's. I am sometimes afraid that people won't understand that. This is why I wish there was a little more homosexual representation in media. So people would see me as real, or maybe even normal. Maybe I would view myself as normal.
    However, I do understand completely why it homosexuality doesn't have much representation. Movies and TV are usually an art, and people will create something they can relate to or like. We can't make people be politically correct in their art. It would stifle creativity. And that's why homosexuality doesn't have a lot of representation.
    But it would be nice to think that people will see my feelings as real. But I know I'm just different, and a lot of straight people will not understand it if they've never had feelings that were different.

14. Sinopaa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @Assassin'sKat: When I was perceived as dating hetero people still hated on my relationships for other reasons. They didn't like mixed racial dating, an atheist dating a christian, my girlfriend was "too butch"; people were never pleased because they all had different boxes they wanted me to fit in even when I was the "normal" orientation expectation. You'll learn over time that the rest of the world is honestly not worth getting the approval of for your happiness. What will matter in your relationship is that you and your partner feel true love and you make each-other happy. The people who do judge and make a tool out of themselves over how you date typically have a ton of skeletons in the closet and are insecure in themselves, so they beat down on the happiness of someone else.

#14 Sinopaa, Feb 16, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  15. Riverhawk

Riverhawk Guest

I've thought about this a lot too and even though I'm attracted to men, it's always been hard to imagine myself in a homosexual relationship and it's a little scary. Representation would have helped a lot because I would have grown up used to the idea that my future could involve a relationship with a man. But like you said, we can't really force someone to make a movie centered around a gay relationship. There are a good deal of gay movies but they just don't become as popular because even accepting heterosexuals can be made a little uncomfortable by those themes

16. andimon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes.. they can hold hands and kiss in public. I'll never stop envying the ease of being yourself in public.

17. HojaVioleta

Nah. I would feel uneasy to be perceived as cishet.

18. jenne

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hell no! I'm not envious of heterosexual couples at all.. I thank God I'm not a straight woman for so many reasons..

#18 jenne, Feb 16, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  19. PianoKeys

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I am going to watch it this weekend ! Sounds interesting !

20. nyahlove

I always feel like that when I'm in public with my girlfriend. Less about the children aspect though, more about the not having the freedom to be who we are. We live around a ton of homophobic people and aren't out so, have to hide our relationship. But at school all of the heterosexual people are kissing and all of this other stuff. I'm jealous.