1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philosophy class in high school ?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Luca00, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Luca00

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey! So I have an essay due next week in philosophy and it made me wonder how many of you attended philosophy class during your studies?

In my case (in France), philosophy is mandatory for all students during their last year of high school, in my section (scientific section) I have 3 hours per week.

Curious to see if it's a common thing worldwide or not at all :eusa_thin

2. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I took philosophy and religion studies class when I was a senior in high school. I love that shit.

3. Luca00

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Did you take it by choice or it was mandatory (I'm sorry, I don't really know how the education system work in other countries)?

In my case I personally would have preferred it to be a choice, because 80% of my classmates don't really care & are non-stop talking during the class, and sometimes it's like :bang: <- me with a headache

4. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I didn't take it. At my highschool it wasn't popular - my school only offered one philosophy class, but it was a philosophy/psychology. So half the time it was psychology, half the time it was philosophy.

5. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It was definitely optional.

6. HojaVioleta

I should be failing at philosophy rather than my current course. Might find it easier. Studied it quite a lot.

7. actualdust

My school doesn't offer a philosophy class- we have sociology, which I'm taking, along with psych and eastern religions but no philosophy.

8. BadassFrost

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In my school, Gymnasium/High School, it's only a small part of one subject, ZSV (základy společenských věd - basics of social sciences), mandatory subject, which we have 3 hours per week this year. But it's just basics, however when we got an option to choose our elective subjects, philosophy was one of them I think. I went with 3rd foreign language - Spanish instead + additional English lessons.

9. Luca00

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank y'all for your answers! :icon_bigg

So for most of you it's just an option. I wish I could have tried psychology or sociology class, it sounds kinda interesting! But unfortunately in my school there isn't lots of options, I only am in the European Section (which basically is extra biology lessons in English).

10. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wasn't offered it when I was in high school, nor the place I went to for three years and the cyber charter I went to for my senior year.

Psych for me in high school was underwhelming, and was underplanned because the teacher who initially taught the class had passed away in an accident the summer before school started back up, so they had to rush to get a replacement in and we basically got to pick and choose what we wanted to learn.

I turned down the opportunity to take it again my senior year when I went to cyber classes (my anthropology teacher taught the class and invited me to be one of his students), but I didn't want a potential repeat of my junior year...so I lost a chance to maybe learn something new. I believe sociology was offered the year I transferred schools, which sucked for me since I wanted to take the class for years.

11. Lacayda

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I had to choose between philosophy and religion when I started grade 11. I took religion so I never attended a philosophy class. There are just so many questions and no answer and that would most likely really annoy me over time:lol:

12. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My high school offered it as an elective but I never did it. I did take a philosophy class last semester at college though.

13. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    High schools teach philosophy? What philistine school district did I have the misfortune of attending?

I now have a bachelor's degree in philosophy and I've taught a college-level summer course in the subject, but imparting an introductory course on high school students could be immensely valuable. If I had my way, I'd make it mandatory :wink:

14. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I did philosophy in high school, admittedly at a partly French school, so it might not be indicative of OP's question about global philosophy teaching.

I found philosophy at uni much harder than law, politics and economics, which defies its image among practical and oh-so-serious members of the public.