1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

N.J. tags new drivers with decal

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ok455, Apr 15, 2009.

1. ok455

#1 ok455, Apr 15, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  2. Shevanel

Link Doesn't work?

3. ok455

try it again sir

4. Shevanel

That is rather interesting. I personally don't like the idea. its rather... Naziish in a way.... :/

5. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For young drivers, no. For new drivers, yes.

Here after you pass your road test you have a probationary license for 2 years (can't drive after midnight, can't have any BAC). For those two years I would support a decal on the car. Any longer than that, or based just on age, no.

Same as I'd support having an "L" decal on all cars being driven on a learners license.

6. paytah

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well intentioned, but probably ineffective. What about the significant number of kids who just borrow a parent's car? And saying the police aren't going to pull cars over because of the decal is different from it being true.

Eh, I disagree on that point. Teenagers die way too often in stupid car crashes because they don't pay attention or don't know their limits. There are mature teenagers who don't need this for whom it would be just an annoyance, but speaking from experience there is a higher risk for younger drivers. There have always been a lot of teen driving deaths in my hometown, most of which have been caused by poor decisions from kids who don't know when they're too drunk or high to drive or just don't know when it's time to stop fooling around with their friends.

7. Micah

In Australia, NEW drivers have to display L and P plates on their front and rear windows like this guy here:

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m184/wickedpink64/P3080019.jpg

L stands for Learners. P for Probationary. Your L's are generally from 16-18, and your Ps are from 18-21 (although this changes depending on when you get your license).

I don't really get targeting teenagers though - How is a 25 year old who's been driving for 1 month any safer than an 18 year old who's been driving for 1 month?

8. BlakeHarmony

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the age limit is stupid, it really should be based on the amount of time one has been driving but the indication is helpful to other drivers, I don't see why it would be such an issue.

9. tomahto72

tomahto72 Guest

Yeah in Queensland we have this new learner system where you have to have 100 hours behind the wheel of a car before you can attempt the test. It's complete bullshit because it doesn't matter how many hours you have in a car supervised, what matters is being able to drive BY YOURSELF. That's why i think the hours should be knocked back to 30 then all new drivers must complete a defensive driving course before they are 21.

I like the system makes the person more aware and follow road rules because regardless what the police say, they DO pull P-platers over more often.

10. ok455

I disagree with it as well if it was for all new drivers im fine with it but just for teenagers i don't see how its going to make a difference besides cops picking on teens. When im on the road i always see crazy drivers young old middle age. Even with a Decal how is this magically going to stop accidents? and make teens drive safety? what about the millions of crazy drivers out there. My thing is for teens who work night shift since the curfew is at 11 or work 3-11pm honestly its going to suck getting pulled over every time and showing proof that u work 3-11

They also mentioned a 11pm curfew too i mean honestly we die for our country at the age of 18 but we can't enjoy the freedom of driving.

11. xequar

They badge new drivers in Japan, as well, as anyone who's into the import mod scene knows...

[​IMG]