1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"There shouldn't have to be gay spaces"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tre, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Tre

Tre

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    What do you think of straight people who say this? Or this idea to begin with? I think some gay spaces or events are still necessary because a lot of gay people are constantly assumed to be straight. It's nice to be in a space where people won't make that assumption. Some idealistsic people believe that's possible in straight spaces, but I really disagree. When a space is mostly straight, I'll be assumed to be straight. Even if it's a so called gay bar.

2. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    As long as there is still widespread discrimination, yes, there should. Everyone deserves a place where they can feel safe and at home among their own.

3. Tre

Tre

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Even if there isn't discrimination, I think some gay spaces or events are useful.

4. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's necessary for minorities because we don't see eachother every day just walking down the sidewalk. Can't just go into a "normal" bar and start flirting with somebody with the same sex can you? It would unfortunately "provoke" violence in many places.

What do we not need on the other hand? "power trip spaces" like the KKK and Westboro. If you're already the majority what more do you need? Instead of putting down others to make yourself feel better, there's always, you know, effort. Do something good in the world instead, It's a much more productive way to get the feeling. Get into a craft, painting or music, push it as close to perfection as you can and say "I did this."

If we were 65% or so of the population yeah, I'd get not needing "spaces". You could just go to any public area then.

5. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes. Absolutely. I do think we need these spaces. It's a place where we can be ourselves, with others like us. There is a sense of comfort in that, especially if you live in a conservative area and face discrimination outside of these spaces.
    Even if they aren't "needed", they are still somewhat beneficial, and they aren't hurting anyone.

If someone wanted to make a "straight space", whatever man, I really don't see how it's any different from anywhere else though.

6. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    In an ideal world, we might not need gay spaces, but on the other hand... entitlement, basically. Some people don't like to see minority groups be themselves and succeed. Why do they care, anyway? At least 95% of establishments cater to them.

7. Tre

Tre

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I live in a pretty liberal area. So straight people think my city doesn't need queer spaces since it's so accepting.

8. Cinis

Cinis Guest

That argument still doesn't negate the fact that it can be hard to find other LGBT people. Just because a city is tolerant, doesn't mean you'll meet more people.
    I think the problem with this statement is, that "queer-spaces" aren't just for having a so called "save space" where one can talk openly but also offer the opportunity to get advice in areas straight or non trans people don't have any experience with. It also makes it easier to actually meet potential dates which in my opinion is pretty important since the dating pool is already significantly smaller and dating apps aren't a good place to find anything. This can also improve a persons psyche because it sucks knowing you're different and seeing everyone dating and falling in love while you have to wait for someone who's potentially interested and pray it works out.
    For trans people it can be an awesome way to get some supplies and have questions answered by someone who went through the process, as well as being encouraged on their way and maybe meeting people in a similar situation, showing them that they are not alone and that it's ok.

So yes, even in a very accepting city, we need LGBT-spaces.

9. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sometimes It's not even about discrimination, but about wanting to meet other LGBT people. Imagine if someone said there should be no spaces dedicated to gamers, expecting mothers, or people into cooking because they don't face discrimination. Technically, people want those groups to talk about those topics and meet like-minded people.

10. Tritri

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There shouldn't be any safe spaces from people who disagree with you.
    If you mean places to meet other gays then those already exist and there's nothing wrong with them.

11. Godless

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What he said. But who really cares if straight people whine about things that don't affect them? It's not going to make it go away

12. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think you both missed the point, it isn't about being safe from people who disagree with you, it is about a place(s) or event(s) tailored to or that caters to LGBTQ people. You can still end up with protestors anywhere so it is less about safety and more about a group of people congregating at one location.

I'm down for gay spaces or places. Plenty of other people get their own "spaces" or clubs or secret societies...

13. Tre

Tre

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That's a great way to put it. I think I'll use that example to explain it to straight people. I often hear them say that it's dividing people, a safe space or gay people shouldn't define themselves by their sexuality.

14. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You could put it into the context of something they could personally understand. Everyone wants to feel a sense of belonging. I agree with Creativemind. Those examples of gaming etc are good because straight people can understand what it's like to want to be in a group with people who have similar interests.

15. Ljjgreat2017

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I agree. I think there still be gay spaces just in so you can surround yourself with people who have similar life experiences.

16. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it is extremely important to have gay spaces. EC is a good example (even if it is a virtual space). It is important to have places where we can find other people like us, trade experiences, talk, or just meet new friends.

However, i totally disagree with spaces that "prohibit" a certain group from entering. For example, i not only ok, but i support gay spaces, like i said. Bars, clubs, or just groups of interest (like a video game group focused on LGBT people). However, if a straight person wants to enter that space, i think he/she should be allowed to, as long as the person understands the purpose of that space and as long as the person is friendly and respectful.

Again, i think EC is a good example: We are focused on LGBT issues. That's our main goal: A safe space for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender people coming out. However, straight people are more than welcome to come here and join the community, as long as they are friendly. That is really nice, in my opinion, because we can't just turn our back into our allies (or just people who are curious and want to ask something in a non-aggressive way).

In resume: Having LGBT spaces is not only a really nice thing, but they are necessary, in my opinion. But having "LGBT exclusive" spaces, where non-LGBT people can't enter, even if they are friendly, is unecessary and even hurtful to our fight, in my opinion.

17. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it will always be necessary to have times to discuss the LGBT community and have celebrations like Pride.

18. europeanguy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I think there should, i dont wont to talk about LGBT issues with straight people, i dont want to discuss how i feel about being gay or problems im having with it. straight people will NEVER understand it, and i dont want their advise. so im glad there are spaces here, as i have no-one to ask or talk to about it with irl

19. Tre

Tre

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It can be a slippery slope. Gay and lesbian bars are an example. Straight people can and do invade those spaces. Some straight people also get angry about people assuming they're gay. To me that's the point of gay bars. For people to assume you're gay. Straight girls visiting gay bars kind of ruins it. I get why they go there, but it makes it hard for femmes. I don't mind when people assume I'm straight in everyday life, but I will get pretty pissed off if people assume I'm straight in gay spaces. We really need to do something about it. I think this issue is far more important than straight people's feelings.

20. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I completely agree. But as long as LGBTQ people are bullied, targeted, and otherwise victimized on a regular basis, I feel they're necessary.

Lex