1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Article on repression

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by brainwashed, Mar 16, 2017.

1. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  2. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I found this line in the article rather interesting, particularly given my last response to your other thread:

"Indeed a major goal of therapy is to reveal the unconscious and hence get a better idea of our real motives and desires"

3. WMM

WMM

Always seems like double speak to me. But I know repressed memories are real because of my wife's issues. Although I think the repression itself was her problem, but that might have been because of how it was achieved. We will never know how it happened, in her case.

4. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I attempted a psychology major. Much of Sigmund Freud's work has been 'debunked' i guess you could call it, and honestly you only have to look at his Stages of Psychosocial Development (i think it was called?) to understand why...but there is some truth to his unconscious/conscious thing. I see it in my own background. I was raised sheltered and isolated in a religious, conservative household so when i noticed the signs i just repressed them. Badly. To the point i was convinced during my highschool years that i was just a very modest, mature girl who wasn't very sexual.

5. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Bummer about Sigmund Freud. I really like some of the material he put out there.

Way before I found the article who's link appears above in my e_folder, found years ago, and reread it, I was journaling how my unconscious is governing me to some degree.

Cant speak for current psychological theory, facts, but I really feel there are unseen forces governing me at times.