1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Short vs. long dating profiles

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tre, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Tre

Tre

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Do you think it's better to have long profiles that really show your personality or a short profile that just shows the basics? For me I'd prefer a shorter profile. I just come across as too geeky, boring, introverted and pretentious when I try to write a longer profile. My sense of humor also doesn't work for dating profiles. I think it would be better to meet people in real life to see how we actually interact. For some reason I'm boring and geeky around some people, but fun and outgoing with other people.

2. dvxqnc

Definitely shorter profiles. Also any of the cliche things like "I love adventures, don't get on my bad side, I'm a pretty nice guy" etc... kind of is a red flag to me.

3. Tre

Tre

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think people write cliche profiles because they feel pressured to fill out their profile. I think I'll stick mostly to swiping apps, so I don't have as much pressure. Maybe actual people on the dating site don't need much of a profile and I'm just getting advice from internet geeks.

4. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
  5. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I actually prefer semi longer ones since I get a better feel of someone's personality and values. I prefer to know this right away so I don't waste time and money. I feel a lot of shorter ones just add generic bullshit that could apply to 90% of the population.

#5 Creativemind, Mar 19, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  6. Nikky DoUrden

Long ones.
    There are so many people on dating sites, and when im looking at them im assuming they r all the same unless things they write in their profile, and the more they write the more i know if it suits me.
    That been said I never had a date and I only look at those sites to find friends, and I did find one friend there which wrote a long profile describing how nerdy he is which sounded perfect and i messaged him :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I kind of like longer ones. I definitely do try to weed out cliches and people interested in just hook ups. There's actually a lot of things a guy can say to me that will immediately turn me off. I'm looking for more than just someone to date. I also hate rushing things. Don't get too flirty too quickly. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I guess I just look for guys that are real, genuine, kind, and share at least half the interests I have. I mean, if a guy says he's a nerd in his profile, that's definitely someone I'd initiate a conversation with because, well, I'm a nerd and love nerdy guys.

8. Secret Comander

Short brings a mystery to who the person is, making it better when you get to know them. But than again, longer ones help sort out cliche and real people.

I would want a guy who has similar hobbies like me. I see anyone with something similar i would want to start a conversation with them. :icon_bigg

I hate rushing things or when someone comes off strong, so please don :eusa_naug

9. Eyerene

Personally, I prefer longer profiles. The more I know about someone before trying to talk to them, the better idea I have of who they are. It helps me decide if I want to chat with someone or not.

I'll still take chances on dating profiles that have little to no information on them, as long as they have a lot of pictures. And the photos do have to contain themselves, not other people or photos that could be passed off as almost anyone (silhouettes, the back of the head, shoes, etc.) If they have 1 photo and no other info, it's a pass for me even if they're really cute.

Or maybe I'm just really picky. Who's to say... :icon_wink

10. guitar

It really depends. I would say maybe 15 sentences at the most. You know the acronym TL;DR? It applies here. Once people see your picture and basic info, they've already half-way made up their mind if they're interested.

I've tried short profiles, kind of long profiles, and then my advice above. I found that more than about 10 sentences yielded me very few responses. Shorter profiles with a few pictures seem to work best. That way you have something to talk about when you message.

#10 guitar, Mar 19, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  11. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The way I see it, you shouldn't get to know them immediately by reading their profile. Sure, you should learn a little about them, so maybe a few sentences, but knowing all about them would take the fun out of getting to know them. Then what's even the point?

12. AuroraBorealis

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For my own dating profile: Short, because I think no one would ever read over a short paragraph about me.

But if I'm interested, I like looking at longer dating profiles, it shows more who they are and what they're there for, etc

13. Tre

Tre

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I agree. I find knowing people too much can also make me have stupid deal breakers. Such as liking the wrong music or being from the wrong part of town.