1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best time to change your name?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kimberley, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Kimberley

I am hoping to soon legally change my name and am wondering at what age other people have, or at what age they plan to, and also what you chose to change your name to and if possible why, interested in people's reasons.

Also a slight diversion from that but also looking for a small bit of advice.
    I am currently 17 and studying a levels in the UK
    I have already been entered for my end of year exams using my birth name
    If I change my name now is everything with the exams still okay? Since I was entered into them, but haven't actually taken them before the change?

2. Worker Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi. After recently realising I am agender I want to change my name to something more gender neutral to match how I feel.

I want to change my name legally asap however I want to talk to my mom first as she chose my forename. I'm worried about upsetting her but I need to do it.

I'm in my 40s. I always hated having a girls name especially when I was younger but didn't really like any other. I feel so much better with my soon to be new name.

I have no idea how it could affect your exams. In your position I would wait until after.

3. Kimberley

In a similar situation in a way, disregarding the difference in age. Similarly to you I would like to change my feminine birth name Kimberley to my name that I consider to be far more gender neutral Cody. My mother also voiced that she was upset with me wanting to replace my middle name, however we've now reached a compromise so it may be the same for you? Regardless I wish you the best of luck talking to her about it.

If you don't mind me asking what is your soon to be new name going to be?

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I didn't change my name for gender reasons. Just never liked my birth name, and chose to go by a different moniker. But I switched when I went to college (university). It was the perfect time, since I was basically swapping out one set of people I interact with with a completely different set. Yes, I had to get my old friends (and family) to retroactively start calling me by this other name, but they got on board pretty quickly.

I'd say wait until the exams are over before swapping names. You're more than welcome to start having your friends get used to the new name now, though.

Lex

#4 Lexington, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  5. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would say the best time is when you have the money for it and you're sure it's what you want. I mention the latter since I know someone who is trying to change their name again, since the one they went by before ended up not suiting them.

For me, it's mostly about finding the right time and gathering the money. Over here in my county, I think getting your name changed can run you almost $300; and I don't think that includes the $35 or so fee to get your ID/license replaced.

6. AlexanderDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My legal name is really feminine, so I'm changing it as soon as i turn eighteen and have the money, because I can't deal with having to write it on all my forms and the like for much longer. I'm not quite seventeen now.

7. Worker Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was planning to change my name to Cameron though my bestfriend thinks that it's still considered quite masculine here (UK) so I may just go with Cam.

Cody is one of the names I had considered!

8. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's probably the best time to do it. Probably best to do it before graduating high school or college, because then your preferred name will be on your degrees.

I am not trans or anything, but I also don't like using my legal name. (Don't ask.) My school has an option for "preferred name", so I put my name there, and all my teachers call me Kat, and I can put my name on my homework too.
    My coworkers respect my name too. When I was wearing a name tag, it said Kat. (name tag fell apart and never got replaced)

9. Micki B

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I was adopted and when I was about 7 my (extremely abusive, narcissistic) step mother changed my name to match hers and added "Jr." to the end. She robbed me of my identity in this and so many other ways, I'm changing my name now to take back my birth name and taking my biological grandmother's maiden name as my last name. My birth name was Michaela so I now go by Mick or Micki. I just want my identity to be mine and mine alone.

Micki

10. Non binary kid

I am so sorry! That must of been horrible!

---------- Post added 28th Mar 2017 at 02:54 PM ----------

I would say change your name whenever you feel comfortable with it, it's honestly completely your decision.