1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Annoying or progressive

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AuroraBorealis, Mar 26, 2017.

1. AuroraBorealis

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I feel like I'm about to accidentally black ball myself here, but does anyone feel that some people just try too hard to be progressive...? And they end up over doing it, and it's just kind of...annoying..

I got in an argument one day over young people who have only been attraction the opposite sex labeling themselves as LGBT+ because if they had an attraction to the same sex they wouldn't be against it..

I also know people that are so accepting of LGBT cause "Gays are just people no different" but when you hangout with them they'll bring up you being gay at every opportunity they get even if it's completely random.

2. Rook

Lol that makes no sense. But if the people you're talking to are young I sort of understand why they do it. Probably attention seeking or insecure about themselves/lacking self esteem, so try to be as 'good' as possible, even if it doesn't make sense. I find that's more the case if they're young, and hopefully they mature.

3. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sounds like classical "virtue signaling". They want others to know how "good" and "progressive" people they are. You can try friendly tell them that they don't need to prove you of their acceptance and you would rather just see them behave normally. I don't think they constantly bring up the straightness of their straight friends so why should they do it with you.

Just make sure that you approach them in a non-confrontational way. Many people feel certain degree of discomfort when interacting with any minority of the "progressive stack" arising from the fact that they are afraid of making a blunder in interaction and being labelled as a bigot as a result. So they use every opportunity to try to demonstrate they are not bigots.