1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Emotional cutting?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BeautifulStranger, Apr 20, 2009.

1. BeautifulStranger

Not physical harm... but...

Does anyone else have a habit of looking at pictures/reading letters/listening to music/whatever that'll hurt them emotionally and make them cry?

I've recently developed a horrible addiction of stalking Mike and Terry's facebook pages and it's absolutely killing me... but I can't stop.

The two are back together and are so blissful and gah... I hate them.

2. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't do it so much anymore, but yeah, I used to do that all the time. I still have a song that Kathryn wrote me when I was 16, and for easily a year I carried it around with me and read it all the time, despite the fact that it made me cry. (She told me afterwards that she'd written it while stoned and couldn't remember a thing about it. Nice to know that's what I'm worth.)

3. Just Adam

when i lost my mum i would listen to a song that upset me dont know why think i just wanted to try and feel

4. KaydeeJayde

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm the same. I always listen to songs that make me cry, because it makes me deal with what I'm feeling. I know that if I don't do that, I'll find ways to avoid dealing with it.

I also listen to songs that remind me of my ex also because it makes me remember all the good times, as well as singing the songs I wrote about her when we were together. And yeah, it hurts.

5. aerwolfen

i think we all at some point in time just need to cry and get those depressed feelings out of our system,anxiety will cause us to be overwhelmed with feelings that sometimes is really hard to handle and the best release our body and mind provide is a good cry, i do many times even when i'm feeling happy,holding back feelings can really build up in the mind and its completely normal for those feelings to come out when you don't expect them too,.

6. Jonah 4

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    mmm...I think it is a human thing to find a way to vent out emotions. It's just not always done in the healthiest of ways.

My biggest one deals with anger. I'm not really an angry apart from issues that matter to me. So I have this horrible(nerdy I know) habbit of looking up topics on google news that matter to me then reading the comment section so I can get an anger fix.

On a more emotional level when I get lonely I tend to watch gay-themed love stories, Christian and Oliver for example, but I don't think that is quite as unhealthy. The only way I know to get past these feelings is to go and doing something about it...but when thats not possible I'm either angry, depressed or angry and depressed. :dry:

Anyway, sorry for the wordiness...I guess I'm just saying I think I get where your coming from.

7. Courtneyyy

Sometimes I do things like that to make myself cry.
    I don't cry that much, but I get stressed out and upset easily.
    Once I cry it all out, I feel much better, so I'll do things that I know will get me to cry, even tho they aren't what's currently bothering me.

8. GhostDog

I watch a movie called "The Sky Is Falling" (with Dedee Pfeiffer), especially whenever I'm feeling really shitty about myself. It makes me cry even more, but the ending is so happy, I end up feeling a lot better at the end!

9. Eleanor Rigby

Anything that makes me think about my best friend makes me cry. It could be songs, films, letters, drawings, books, anything related to him one way or another. In a way these things hurt me, and in a way they make me feel better by remembering all we used to be for each other.
    I keep the things that make me think about him in a box and from time to time, I open the box. And every time I know I will feel the pain again, and I will cry, but I carry this pain with me anyway and I think it is ealthier to express these feelings than keep it them inside all the time.
    I am also a very emotional girl. I can cry very easily watching a film or reading a book, but I think it is good to vent emotions out. I think that being able to let it go when that doesn't matter makes me able to cope with things and prevents me from falling appart when it is important that I behave myself.

10. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yep, guilty of that too! :slight_smile:
    For a while I listened to sad songs which got me even more emotionally down. in particular after I told someone how I felt about him. Listening to songs often reminds me of things that could have been. Sometimes, I do tear up when I watch a sad movie or even if a movie has a really nice happy ending....

But here is the thing...if you hate them, why do you look at their pictures on facebook then? Try to move on. You have your life and they have theirs! If you keep doing that, the only person that is going to get even more hurt is you. No one else. What to do? Stop 'stalking' them on facebook. Get a boyfriend and enjoy your life! You know how to do it!

#10 Mirko, Apr 20, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  11. Dazed

Dazed Guest

maybe im weird ...when im sad i listen to happy music so i wont cry or be upset.

12. Mellowish

i think im weird cus when i feel happy (kinda not common) my thoughts push me back down and i kinda feel like im literally being choked

13. Haiiro

Haiiro Guest

I have the same issue. I do that all the time.

14. Nick

I have a playlist called ":'(" so it's mostly just listening to sad music for me.

15. pirateninja

Yeah, I have a "Sad Songs" Playlist on my iPod. Really great for those happy days that need a bit of balance :grin:

I know my dad loved listening to songs like "Every day I love you less and less" when Mom left him, and even now he listens to songs in the key of suicide (aka Coldplay). You're not the only one that does it; maybe it's a way of us being emotional, but in a private way? I know I don't like crying in front of others, so listening to sad songs is a way of being emotional, but we can blame it on the song (or film or whatever) rather than say to others or ourselves "I'm really upset".

16. Thisisnew

I do listen to songs that remind me of a bad time in my life and get emotional and cry the songs are not sad at all though. I told my brother that and he thought I was nuts lol.

17. Starshine16

I do the exact same thing.I listen to really sad songs including the one that was supposed to be played at my wedding a year and a half ago.

18. Lychee

I listen to sad songs.. Also I read "My Sister's Keeper" by Jodi Picoult, which is an absolutely brilliant book btw, but every single time I read it I cry, in fact, one of the pages is almost blurred out now from my tears.. :\