1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what do u think.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by hoping, Jul 3, 2007.

1. hoping

in my honest opinion i dont think gays will ever get many rights here in australia or at least any time soon. its like gays arent wanted here. i see shows were the words faggot, poof and other words are thrown around so easy. i read in a report from a university study group that homophobia is very widespread in this country. one right that we dont get is if our partner died we arent allowed to even make arrangements for the body or anything connected to it and with stuff like medical funds we have to put single because gay and lesbain coulpes are not recognised but the federal government. so what r ur opinions on rights for gays either where u live or just generaly

2. CrimsonThunder

Well I've never heard about any of that stuff. However where I live homosexuality is very muchly accepted! Theres only the occasional 1 or 2 people that think they are better than everyone else and they don't like it.

In my small town we have about 6 or so lesbians and theres about 5 bi's (boys and girls) and 2 or 3 gay guys.

3. davo-man

I think eventually./....and i mean eventualy, not like tomoro or anything, but eventually we wil be accepted into the norm of society....Left handed people used be considered connected to devil (the latin for meft is sinistra meaning sinister or something like that), but now its like who cares whether a person writes with their left or right hands....So eventually i reckon we will be accepted just like lefties

4. CrimsonThunder

Left handed people... really? wow.

And your right davo, this generation of adults were people that grew up in religion (it was pretty much mandatory) and they must have taught that homosexuality was bad back then, no so much today. And people are taught to respect eachother and who they are now days so hopefully they'll grow up believeing that and then their kids will get taught the same thing.

Of course not everyone is the same. Not everyone is always going to like black people, same with homosexuality.

5. thommthomm

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with Davo-man in that it will happen eventually! It is sad that many of us probably wont live to see it, but it will happen. I say change will happen sooner if more and more people accept who they are and come out. The more people come out, the more Society has to realise, it's not a phase, a choice, or influence! We are who GOD wants US to be!!:thumbsup:

I am proud to say that I live in a State like Massachusetts that allows Gay Marriage, yes it was fought for, debated on and was even almost defeated, but WE WON!!!! It is also the only state that allows full LEGAL Marriage to it's gay and lesbian citizens. Let me tell you it was not easy, but if gays and lesbians and their allies didn't mobilize and do all we could to defeat the Amendment to defeat putting it on the 2008 ballot we would have lost that right!

It is time we ourselves realize how powerful we are politically and financially and do something to better Society, because if not we risk the chance of having all the rights we fought for taken away.

6. 24601

Of course it will happen eventually. Every new generation is becoming more and more open minded. We're casting the chains of conservatism aside and moving toward a brighter tomorrow. Just don't forget sunglasses!

7. wtinal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, left handed people in some places 25 years ago were not treated very well. I am one of those lucky people. In elementary schools, my teachers would tie my left hand behind my back so I was forced to write with my right hand. It was embarrassing, but I had to eventually realize they were naive and it had nothing to do with my worth or whether I was wierd or somehow defective. But, it took time to change the minds of the people in town that being left handed was okay - and not exactly a "choice chosen by kids to be defiant and evil".

So, discrimination can be about anything considered "different" based on the society around. It takes time to change the mass opinion anywhere. It is painfully slow.

By the way.......I am still left handed!

8. Blue0090

Blue0090 Guest

what the hell?!

im left handed

9. davo-man

I thought this article was quite interesting....it shows how leftys have been treated differently and even oppressed through the years and now they are just the same as everyone else

Sorry, i wasnt paying out leftys, just pointing out the role they have had in history and what they have become now....an everyday part of society

10. crimsonarcher

well, i may not be in Austrailia, but i know how it feels when a country doesn't like gays ( mexico...)....

11. greg

i still believe that full rights will come sooner than later (2-3 years in australia) if more of us become political, which does include me (need the become more vocal) maybe we could put down some reasons for not becoming more vocal. No 1 reason lack of confidence, any one like to add to a list?

greg