1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How accepting is present day Batimore, Maryland or just Maryland?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PlantSoul, Apr 1, 2017.

1. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've lived in Baltimore, MD my whole life. I have no idea what the general attitude towards gay/LGBT is currently in Baltimore or the surrounding areas. All I know, is that it was often very stressful growing up because, it seemed like no one supported it and I went through absolute hell with my peers, when I first came out as gay in the mid-2000's.

2. Ljjgreat2017

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I'm so sorry to hear about your experience. On the bright side, there is more acceptance for the LGBT community. I went through some trouble in high school but it wasn't severe. I'm glad to be out of high school, though. It definitely got better for me in college.

I live in Maryland. So I'll give you a brief description of what's it like: in Maryland, being LGBT appears to be tolerated. No one appears to care. I don't live in Baltimore, though. I live near Washington DC. But in high school (from my personal experience), I noticed some homophobic language. I also noticed some prejudice against the LGBT community. But when I got into college, it seems like most people don't care anymore.

It really depends on different factors and/or aspects, such as where you live, your upbringing, and others.

To answer your question, being LGBT in Maryland appears to be tolerated. It isn't completely accepted. There are still some people who have a problem with it. I don't think anyone will bash you. But I would still be careful.

But overall, Maryland is a safe and accepting place for the LGBT community in my opinion.