1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Matching up partners based on google or web history

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tre, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Tre

Tre

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've heard this idea suggested on Reddit several times. Do you think it's actually a good idea? I don't think it would work for me. I tend to google stuff about makeup/beauty, fashion, mental health, iOS gaming and whatever random or obscure hobby I'm into.

I don't think I'd want to date a girl who is really into intagram makeup or fashion. I'm more into androgynous types. I don't think I'd want to date a girl who has too many mental health issues. Or even thinks too much about mental health. Same with iOS gaming or my obscure hobbies. It would be cool if I could share some of my obscure hobbies, but I think there's more import things. Like chemistry.

I think this issue would be even worse for straight people. I think a lot of straight girls google stuff about makeup and beauty, but I doubt most straight guys do. Same with a lot of sports or other interests that are typical for males. Some guys might want to share those interests, but a lot just don't care.

2. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm guessing it may use some other algorithm than just matching people with what they like. It's scary what google knows about all of us....

3. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I saw that idea on Reddit just today as well. I use DuckDuckGo anyway, but even if I did use Google I'm not sure I'd want to date someone who looks up random place names and reads lists on Wikipedia.

4. Lazuri

Eh, not really. People focus too much on how much they know and completely forget about the fact that they also don't give a shit about you. You are literally just a wallet to them.

5. Tre

Tre

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    What algorithm do you think they would use? Especially with straight people. Or gay people who want to date someone more masc or femme.

6. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well google is connected with Facebook so they would have all your Facebook info. They can figure out your personality and maybe match you with people whose personalities are supposed to work together etc. They know everything you find funny, your habits, and probably already know the type of person you're looking for. I'm sure they'll factor in common interests, too, I just don't think they'll look for your clone. Who knows though. The technology is still crude I'm sure.

7. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My search history doesn't even always indicate what I personally am into. For example, I might look up details on heterosexual relationships or ways to kill someone- simply because I'm a writer. I need research for writing. But I wouldn't want to date the opposite sex or a serial killer. And I wouldn't want my partner to misinterpret my search (which is why snooping freaks me out).

I would love to date someone with similar interests, but I'd rather ask them than stalk their history.

8. Qwertuvle

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd just end up with someone who REALLY likes dark souls...
    Which would be k.

Oh, and they'd be a furry. Which is still k.

#8 Qwertuvle, Apr 3, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  9. PianoKeys

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Oh no I have been googling Tomato's all the time. I would be matched with a tomato farmer ! No!!! NOOOO!!!!!!!!!

NO!!!!!

*throws tomato's*

10. AlexanderDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    it's just assorted japanese words bc homework so if someone's really into japanese i guess???

11. MaoKingofcats

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All of my Google searches are just really random like they're not related to one another. Yea I'd rather try to get to know someone than just base them off of their history.