1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need to be less boring

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Simple Thoughts, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Simple Thoughts

I'm pretty used to not having anyone to hang out with or talk to IRL. I've always been a quiet person who doesn't really have friends. I don't talk much, and it takes me forever to warm up to people. That's fine with me anymore, I'm used to being an easily forgettable person.

Lately though...my online presence has just deteriorated. I never get messages from people, and I never have anyone to chat with. I wind up filling the empty space with youtube videos and junk, but it's kind of lonely having almost no one to talk to sometimes.

I wish I wasn't so boring. I wish that I was capable of that whole 'small talk' thing. I'm not any good at it though. People used to occasionally message me, and I try to talk to them, but I always reach a point where I just have nothing to say. I can't continue the conversation any further and then they just kind of stop talking altogether after awhile.

2. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I completely empathize with you as the same thing happens to me. I'm terrible at small talk too...it just seems too awkward and feels like it never goes anywhere.

It sucks feeling like you have no one to talk to though, doesn't it?

3. Ljjgreat2017

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I'm so sorry to hear this. I'll be your friend. On this forum, you won't be forgotten. I can relate. I'm going to try to keep this short. But I've had a difficult time trying to develop a social life. At my community college, I try to develop a social life to no avail. I signed up for a few clubs and I've yet to make any new friends. It's a long story to explain.

I only have online friends to talk to. I guess that fills in the loneliness. So don't feel alone. Your not the only one going through it by myself.

4. WeDreamOfPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Likewise. Feel like only I can interest me, and I don't seem to have interests anyone else "get". I find it extremely difficult to socialize/small talk. I literally have 1, maybe 2 friends.

But, there are people online, not to mention better to be among yourself and be happy than be among people who won't accept you.

Peace.

5. Simple Thoughts

Yes, yes it does. It feels awful >.>

---------- Post added 12th Apr 2017 at 11:06 PM ----------

I'm sorry to hear that you've had difficulies as well. I'm more than happy to be your friend =3

---------- Post added 12th Apr 2017 at 11:07 PM ----------

I moved to a new state a lil over a year ago at this point, and I have made like 1 friend in that time and I barely talk to that person XD

6. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm similar, I suppose, though my problem is social anxiety and trust issues. Just last week, I attended a protest/rally, and at least half a dozen people approached me (some old friends and acquaintances, others new). The only problem was knowing what to say and keeping the conversation(s) going! But I suppose I must be doing something right, just by attending events after being invited, and not turning people away (consciously).

A part of it involves stepping out of your comfort zone. Feel uncomfortable? Good! Nothing changes if we stick with the same routine(s). Compare it with losing weight. For me, questions are a godsend. People ask, and I answer. It gets easier with time and practice. Of course, if they catch my interest, I'll do the same. Gossip and weather don't interest me much.

I was taken by surprise that so many of my older friends saw me as a confidante, since it took so little effort on my part. I've no malicious intents, and tend to give honest answers. People can sense intentions. If you keep reaching out, you'll at least get momentary satisfaction, and chances are, you'll have some success! Naturally, your methods will improve, and you'll learn what works and what doesn't.

7. Simple Thoughts

Yeah I don't think I could deal with a bunch of different people trying to talk to me at all. I have enough trouble just having a regular conversation with a single person. I never know what to say or do, and you don't ever really know anything about anyone so anything you say is a gamble because you don't know anything about the other person. It's a mess. Conversation is stressful =/

8. HerRainbow

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I agree with what's been said on here so far. I am somewhat similar with meeting new people so I decided to do something completely different! I started voluntary training to become a befriender (very ironic!) a few months ago. There were about 11 people in the group. I never feel entirely comfortable meeting so many new people and in the first session I was really anxious. I spent the time looking around and not saying anything.

When I went the next week I decided to address my nervousness by just being as calm as possible. That really helped because I felt more comfortable. By the next week I started talking to people in the group and was surprised at how much relevant stuff I had to say!

Now that I've finished the course I feel so much more confident. I think one of the best things to do would be to start small. Whenever your in a situation where you meet people, just start with small talk. And then as you get more comfortable, you can build your way up. And the biggest bits of advice are:
    1). Try to push yourself out of your comfort zone as much as you can. That way you can see what you really can do
    2). Even if things don't go the way you may want them to, don't worry. You tried your best and that's more than good enough

#8 HerRainbow, Apr 13, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2017
  9. Desertcat

That's one good thing about getting older. Maybe you will be just as boring (I'm sure I am) but you won't care and can talk to anyone. I've been through more BS than what you would believe. So talking to people? That's easy now.

10. Simple Thoughts

I didn' know there was such a thing. I guess they have something for everything anymore though so I shouldn't be too shocked. lol

I just really hate when I'm at a point where I have no one to talk to about anything...the problem is that I don't do well in shallow conversations, and most people don't always want to have a substantive conversation all the time. Sometimes they wanna gush about some t.v. show or something, but I'm never caught up on any of that stuff and even when I am, I never really know what I'm supposed to say about it.

11. HerRainbow

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Haha there really is :lol: it is simpler than it sounds but quite fun!! And I guess another way to go about it is for you to initiate conversation and talk about some things that you like. That way you'll feel more relaxed talking about something your familiar with. Then eventually the more you talk to people, the more you'll have confidence knowing what to say

12. Simple Thoughts

I don't know what I'd even want to talk about though. X3

13. choni

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    dude you literally put what I've thought for probably forever into words. If you need someone to talk to, I'm here!

14. Simple Thoughts

Thanks I appreciate that =3

15. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I can definitely empathize with you on this -- right now I feel like the least interesting person in the world. It's been a long time since I've had a significant number of friends, but I used to at least be able to have amazing, long, and deep conversations with the ones I had. Now I'm lucky if a conversation lasts more than ten minutes or so, even if the person in question is someone I genuinely want to talk to.

This is also one of those rare issues where awareness makes the problem worst, at least for me. Once I can tell the other person is struggling to find someone with talking about with me I kind of freeze up and draw a total blank. It really sucks because I think I'm capable of being an engaging person and having worthwhile conversations at times, but overall I think I'm just too uninteresting, predictable, and repetitive to keep anyone's attention long-term. It's an awful feeling because I know I'm losing people and I know there's nothing I can do to stop it.

16. Simple Thoughts

Yeah I know how you feel there. I have a lot of trouble talking to people myself. I remember when I was younger I could carry on conversations forever, but it seems like now I just have nothing to say.

I don' know why that is really either. Everyone has things that interest them, and I'm no different, but I can't really talk about them in the same way other people do. I've always been drawn to bigger picture discussions I guess. It doesn't help that I mostly watch Youtube stuff so I can't talk about Game of Thrones or whatever new show is out. I don't really follow any of that stuff.

17. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have a feeling most people will disagree with me on this, but I honestly don't think a lot of common interests are essential in being able to connect with another person. If something like Game of Thrones doesn't interest you, don't watch it. It can be fun to talk about casual stuff, but most conversations about things like that will end up being little more than small talk anyways.

Unfortunately for me, I think self-confidence is one of the biggest factors in being able to hold meaningful conversations. When you don't have it I think it just projects very negatively and makes it seem not worthwhile.

18. Simple Thoughts

That's probably true to be honest.

I know I'm not a self-confident person. I struggle with that all the time. It's the main reason why I can't bring myself to draw again even though I want to learn. I know logically with practice I'll get better, but at the same time, I just hate that I'm not good at it and it makes it hard to pick the pencil back up and try again.

It's worse with conversation though. I freeze up completely and can't bring myself to say anything. I have this deep fear that anything I say will be the wrong thing and that person will wind up just totally hating me, or even worse I'll get into some kind of trouble because I'll have said something offensive without realizing it.

19. Flowey

I talk about studies like 80% of the time ._.
    It's hard for me to get an interest in someone, and harder to feign interest in them. And I really don't want to sustain the effort to get to know someone. Such hard work! And because I live in a foreign land, topics such as "Where are you from?" or "How do say you say X in Y language?" bore me.

20. Flowey

I talk about studies like 80% of the time ._.
    It's hard for me to get an interest in someone, and harder to feign interest in them. And I really don't want to sustain the effort to get to know someone. Such hard work! And because I live in a foreign land, topics such as "Where are you from?" or "How do say you say X in Y language?" bore me.