1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Otherkin

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by WeDreamOfPeace, Apr 22, 2017.

1. WeDreamOfPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Could somebody please explain the otherkin movement in a way that makes sense, and doesn't make it sound like a mental illness?

Thankyou *hugs*

2. tinybear

Since I was curious as to what otherkin is, I searched it up, and found this.

"Otherkin are a community of people who socially identify as partially or entirely non-human. Some of them surmise that they are, either spiritually or genetically, not human, however this claim is unsubstantiated. This is explained by some members of the otherkin community as possible through reincarnation, having a non-human soul, ancestry, or symbolic metaphor. Some scholars categorize this identity claim as "religious", because it is largely based on supernatural beliefs. Adherents more typically deny the religiosity of otherkinism, referring to it instead as simply a congenital condition, or a metaphysical state of being."
    I hope that is helpful :slight_smile:

3. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If someone is a fan of animals, or they enjoy drawing/watching videos/other activies for fun about this, like furries do, that's completely normal and even healthy to some extent, because of the community interaction.

However, if someone truly believes they are part animal/angel/dragon/etc., like otherkin do, that could indicate a problem. Many claim it is a "valid mental condition", like in the text tinybear mentioned, but there is simply no scientific evidence to back up that claim.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I echo Chiroptera.

If someone wants to harmlessly pretend they are an animal, that's one thing.

If someone genuinely believes they are an animal, that is a mental health issue.

In short, 'otherkin' is not a legitmate, credible identity recognized by anyone with any common sense or clinical background.

5. WeDreamOfPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Phew glad my first impression was correct then.

Sad that people are taking mental health conditions and identifying as them :frowning2:

Thankyou for your time :slight_smile:

*hugs*

6. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    As far as I can understand, it's a fantasy based identity that is reinforced socially through an online community and forums. The identity is rationalized through use of narratives that are based on fantasy stories and mythology. As the identity is reinforced by the community it stabilizes over time and the identity is further strengthed by adopting behavioral patterns that makes the person feel like they belong within the boundaries of the identity. So in other words, otherkin identities are technically real but they are also socially constructed and based on a fictional story. As we aren't part of their community, it's very hard to accept and understand the identity and the schemata that comes with the identity. The identities are obviously not based on biology and as such they shouldn't be compared to people who are LGBT. It should be viewed along the lines of a closed group based identity such as nationality or religion. (Such identities are reinforced through shared historical narratives, rules and traditions.) In fact, the identities seem to have originated in a group that saw themselves as part of an Elven nation which further strengthens this comparison.

---------- Post added 23rd Apr 2017 at 05:31 AM ----------

A good way to understand the difference between being LGBT and Otherkin is to compare how you develop the identity. Someone who is LGBT, typically has very little ability to reinforce socially their identity until they come out, in fact the identity is negatively reinforced by society which is geared towards reinforcing cisgender and heterosexual identities. However, despite the lifelong negative reinforcement LGBT people still develop the LGBT identity. They also suffer severe psychological and physiological effects if they try to reject the identity. In the case of people who are otherkin, the identity is reinforced by their social circle and by narratives they adopt. It doesn't come to them naturally as they grow up, instead it begins to develop when they join the community and adopt the relevant narratives.

7. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Put very, very simply:

Otherkin is bull.

8. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Essentially, yes. Delusional beliefs reinforced by a bunch of equally delusional people to the point where some actually start to believe it. This is where it goes from harmless fantasy to delusional mental health issue.

9. Tre

Tre

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It depends on the person. If they just see themselves as someone who spiritually or metaphysically connects with a certain animal I totally respect them. I have plenty of spiritual beliefs that have no scientific proof. I don't like people going after my beliefs just because there's no scientific proof, so I don't do that to other people. I also never claim my spiritual beliefs are scientifically proven to begin with.
    What really makes me mad is when otherkin claim to be the animal version of trans people. I don't like when they appropriate the struggles of trans people. Or the LGBT community in general. This is why people don't take us seriously.
    TLDR: I respect someone who says they were a wolf in their past life more than someone who says they're a wolf born in a human body.

10. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    If people identify as other kin, good for them. Be whatever they want to be.

11. Flowey

They only identify with creatures that are considered cool in human culture. No one wants to be a cockroach in their past lives.

I don't give much thought about otherkin tbh. Despite the occassional drum up from media, they remain a very fringe group.

12. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The reason I get upset with the otherkin community is because the trans community on a regular basis gets compared to "wanting to become a dolphin" or the "I sexually identify as an attack helicopter" bullshit. I might be going too far when I say that they're part of the reason why we don't get taken seriously by other people, and it's a slap in the face when they act like they're facing oppression like we are. Identifying as your favorite Pokemkon or a tree isn't the same thing as us being assaulted and murdered on a daily basis for who we are. Cut that shit out.

Note: Native spiritual practices or the use of totems aren't in the same league as otherkin, so I don't want to get religious practices mixed up with this mess.

13. Rainbows~Exist

This.

14. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Otherkin think they are part animal. They aren't. They are just being special snowflakes. Legit.

You cannot have an animal brain.

It is reasonable to believe that trans people exist, because you can have the brain of the opposite sex, because it is still a human brain.

It is impossible to have the brain of a cat if you are born human. The DNA isn't there. Also, if you did, you would die, because a cat brain does not know how to use a human body.

Some otherkin say they are spiritually an animal. Well, personally, I think that's stupid. I guess if you believe in spirits though, you can believe whatever spirits you want.

15. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's true. I saw people who identified as wolves, lions, foxes and even angels and dragons. Amazing creatures, from an human point of view.

Interesting point, I never thought about it.

16. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So much yes in this post. :slight_smile:

17. WeDreamOfPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She