1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I learn to drive?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Assassin'sKat, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    "Oh you don't need a car!" People say this all the time. Yes, yes I do, not having one really limits me, even to an educational level(there are classes only available on campuses I can't get to because I don't have a car). That is only one of the things on my list of reasons why I do need a car.

So yes, let's get that out of the way, I do, in fact, actually need to drive.

My problem is, I have no one to teach me. Driver's ed is expensive af and only available at certain times. I am already so limited with work and school(I'd have more time on my hands if I didn't have to plan an hour of waiting for the bus ahead of time LOL. Which sometimes doesn't show up HAHA...). So I guess that's a last resort possibility...but that would mean an even more restricted availability at work, and it's already so restricted due to school. I am so frustrated! I am looking everywhere for advice on where to learn. I even turned to making a post on a mobile app asking for advice(they were not helpful).

Even if I went to driver's ed, how am I supposed to take the driver's test when no one will let me use their car? I need to get my own car, but I can't do that till I get a license.

Anyway, does ANYBODY have ANY advice at all? Because I am losing my fucking mind, and I need to know what the fuck I am supposed to do.

#1 Assassin'sKat, Apr 23, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  2. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You can't even learn to drive unless you have a permit, that's my understanding anyways. Do you have an in-date learners permit, at least? You mentioned work and school so i am assuming you're an adult. Look up the law for your state, make sure if you at your age need to take adult drivers ed for sure or if you only need to take the driving test w/ a police officer.

I bought a car w/ just my permit, they just needed three references and i got my dad to drive it back for me. But even if you have a permit and a car you would need someone whose over 21 and has a license to sit in the car with you while you practice, so hopefully you have a friend that qualifies.

#2 AlexJames, Apr 23, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2017
  3. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have a permit and it is not required to take driver's ed.

And that's exactly the problem. I don't have anyone to be here for me as I practice. I have no one to teach me. This is what I am trying to solve. This is why I don't know what to do.

4. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Guess I'm fucked.

5. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'll teach you.

6. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah that'd be awesome. :roflmao: Too bad you're a little over a thousand miles away.

7. Nikky DoUrden

Just remember to take into account that if you can't afford driving lessons what about the car maintenance itself including fuel, repairs, driver license, insurance and the like, not sure how its over Oregon but cars can get pretty pricey overtime, maybe its best to save a bit before getting a car and take the bus/train in the meanwhile

#7 Nikky DoUrden, Apr 25, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  8. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    When I took driver's ed, they had their own car. At least in California, you need to take and pass the written test, first. Do you have access to a car? Someone to teach you? One of my friends had her boss at a pizza place offer to help her learn. Otherwise, you can read up online and watch videos...

9. AlamoCity

The way I learned to drive was to first take the written portion of the test, then got a learner's permit so I could legally drive with a licensed adult over 21 at my side, then got added to my parents' insurance, then they taught me to drive, then I took the driving portion at the DMV, then got my full license.

I don't even know how in Texas you can even take the test without having or borrowing a vehicle and being on the insurance. It almost seems rigged against those without certain resources.

I know companies offer lessons (drivers ed) where they provide the car and I wonder if you could eventually use one of those services and maybe they can even let you borrow a car for the driving test at the DMV.

10. Ryu

Ryu

Join the army. You get free driving tuition. In England at least.

11. Chronos

Chronos Guest

Go out there and do it with no experience! You learn bi doing right?