1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT and Travelling?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SohoDreamer, Apr 26, 2017.

1. SohoDreamer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Anyone else afraid of travelling extensively as an LGBT person? I'm not just referring to countries where this is extremely dangerous and can lead to prison or worse, but also to countries you've never been before where you might be a little less sure of your surroundings and how it's going to be taken if you were to display PDA with a partner or to hook up etc etc.

I'm currently a student but when I graduate what I most want to do is travel around the world, including to countries where it's not necessarily going to be safe to be myself. I think one of the biggest things about travelling is discovering yourself and embracing other cultures and so I don't want to hide a huge aspect of myself (especially as I've done this for most of my life at home) when I'm exploring the planet.

How do others feel about this?

2. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, I'm afraid to leave the country. I am not just afraid of anti-lgbt laws, but I am also afraid of hate crimes. I feel like Canada and some places in Europe are safe, and probably Japan(and maybe some other Asian countries, but not many), but anywhere else I am not sure about.

3. timo

Not really, actually. Of course some places are best to be avoided (all the usual suspects) but most other places should be fine.

I went to Lithuania not too long ago. Before the trip I expected it to be a "Russia Light" because of the Soviet history, and also not very LGBT-friendly. My expectations were off. Was a very open and accepting place. A friend of mine (female) even ended up spending the night with another girl randomly. So yeah I wouldn't be too afraid but just take the step and go.

4. grizzleybear33

I studied abroad a year ago and traveled to some pretty far eastern European countries that I was a little concerned about but I never had any issues. I mean I'm not going to go down the street kissing another guy in the US (not out of fear) so I didn't really have any problem not doing it abroad. If you are going to touristy places, you are probably fine since the majority are most likely westerners. But if you journey outside these places, which I highly recommend since you find the best places and, ironically for this post, find the best people, you might have to show some restraint if you see some questionable people. I highly doubt you'd get anything more than some nasty looks but even those can put a damper on a vacation so I guess what I'm trying to say is do whatever brings you the most happiness. If not being scowled at is worth less than holding someone's hand down a nice hiking trail then just go for it. I studied in Switzerland and in the cities everyone was completely fine but there were a few conservative communities in the rural parts (like in the US) that if I had a bf at the time I might not hold his hand walking down a cute little village road. Hypothetically, I wouldn't have been afraid; I just know that I would have been a little thrown off.

The people you meet while abroad are liberal enough to travel the world so the vast majority don't give two fudges about who you go home with. The people are almost always super friendly since all the tourists are sort of "in it all together". With all that said and speaking from experience and missed experiences:
    Do whatever the heck you want.
    The people you meet who don't care are the ones you want to meet and spend time with anyways.
    Try to meet as many people as possible; you'll probably be surprised how nice people are and how little they care that you are gay.
    Do WHATEVER the fudge you want!

Of course, this applies to countries that have some sense of hospitality. From experience, I would limit PDA in countries such as Ukraine, Romania, Turkey, and Russia. Outside of those, some restraint might be in order obviously less so the further west you go. Once you get as far West as like Austria, you should feel completely fine. If you have any specific questions let me know!

5. SohoDreamer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It's good to know others here like to travel too and more importantly do actually go for it! There are no doubts in my mind that travelling is something I really wanna do, it's just getting over that fear that people aren't gonna accept me in other places. The fact is though I've spent most of my life pretending to be straight, and I'm still scared of being out at home so I don't see why it should be any different in countries outside the UK, especially ones with more open minded societies.

I think just going for it is the best plan really - good to hear some positive experiences in the posts above. And like you say grizzleybear, I don't go around kissing guys or displaying PDA in the street anyway, so it shouldn't be a problem elsewhere. Europe I think, in the urban areas at least, is not so much of a problem. I think when I travel to countries in Africa, and parts of East Asia etc. that I will need to be more careful but again I'm happy to hear positive experiences of travelling as an LGBT person.

Would be nice to hear some more experiences and thoughts shared!

#5 SohoDreamer, Apr 28, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  6. photoguy93

I'd obviously be concerned about places where being LGBT was outlawed. Besides that, when I travel, I don't spend the whole time walking around holding hands with a guy or having sex in the middle of the street.

You be you. I've been to many different areas and if you are just a kind and decent person and remain vigilante, you should be okay. I think that being LGBT is something to consider when traveling but shouldn't be the end all.

7. DusDogs

I am now on a trip around the world with my parents and 2 brothers for a year. The most accepting country I have been to is the Philliphines. It's weird because 90% of the people are christians, who quote the bible everywhere and the rest muslim and that gay marriage is not allowed and forget about a divorce in a straight marriage. But socially these people are very far. You see Transgenders (mostly Females in a male body) crossdressers(All males) and gay/lesbian couples everywhere, on every island and every town. And they kiss, hold hands, dating, etc. in public. No problems at all. Their are also gay guys who yell at you if you pass something like this: "OH MY GOD!! YOU'RE SO HANDSOME, I LOVE YOU!!!!". This phenomanon is extreme if your skin color is white and you have blondish brown hair with a redish glow like me. Let's just say, that they know no shame sometimes. It's a good country to learn you don't need to be ashamed of it. So I would say it's safe there for queer people, for all people. The Fillipinos won't harm anyone, they are vey very kind, sweet and hard working. And most important of all: the guys are super hot!

8. Chronos

Chronos Guest

Sounds like I need to go there! :roflmao: