1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can someone explain this to me? (islam/lgbt)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by zeecoop, Apr 28, 2017.

1. zeecoop

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
  2. Dryad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's a tricky question. I think christians used to be like that too, regarding homosexuality, and some still base their homophobia on religious grounds. However, as time passes, more and more find ways to reconcile their faith with a more progressive mindset. I hope the same will be true for the muslim communities as well, and I think marginalizing them will only make it worse.

I read the article that said that some muslims would like to live in muslim-only neighborhoods. We should ask ourselves why is that. Do they feel threatened? I disagree with some parts of (muslim) traditionalism but I don't think trying to impose western values is going to work either, also "western values" are for a big part disputable as well. Sometimes, trying to "force freedom" to a group of people only leads to greater marginalization, as a result of the violent intervention and disruption of the community bonds of the group. Most muslims say they feel very connected to the UK. I'd say, as much as many will disagree with their views on morals, the right thing to do would be to initiate conversation, as equals. You want them to participate, but participation doesn't mean integration and acceptance of the most powerful group's values.

---------- Post added 29th Apr 2017 at 12:28 AM ----------

Are you British? Muslim or christian or something else? Do you have any experiences on this?

3. You can react to it however you want to react to it. There is no way you are "supposed" to react. Look. I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with Muslims who are peaceful. My most supportive ally is a Muslim. I'm not islamophobic. But it is no secret that fundamentalist Islam and LGBT do not go together in any way, shape, or form. Don't bend over backwards trying to be PC, because it just divides people further in the end. I'd say most millennial Muslims are peaceful, and I have nothing against them. But back to my best friend/ally. Her mom, who's a little more fundamentalist, is kind of an asshole, and she's openly an asshole because she said it's what her god wants. It's not islamophobic to criticize Islam. I debate all religions, and Islam is no different.

4. Tritri

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, here's how I think about it.
    I don't like Islam. Nor do I like Christianity or any other religion. In terms of LGBT rights, Islam is worse than Christianity. It's debatable on whether or not the Quran is worse than the bible on the issue, but Muslims are definitely more homophobic than Christians on average. Most Muslim nations have jail time or capital punishment for homosexuality. Only the farthest-right cringe in the U.S. would support this, and they are nowhere near enough to have their way.
    There's no point in denying it; Islam is a morally wrong religion and the majority of Muslims hold radical beliefs. I've seen many scary opinion polls on them. But that doesn't mean you have to support a ban on Muslims
    American Muslims are much more moderate and liberal than U.K. Muslims, probably because of our strong vetting system. This is also why we don't have as many Islamic terrorist attacks as Europe.
    Homosexuality goes against the bible, and yet Christians find many ways to reconcile their LGBT acceptance with their faith, with arguments like "It's only the old testament" and 'the versus are mistranslated". In my opinion, these are nothing more than rationalizations. But if Christians can be accepting then I'm okay with their religion.
    I think the same with Muslims. If there are individual Muslims who support LGBT rights then I support them as well.

#4 Tritri, Apr 28, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  5. grizzleybear33

Tritri, I agree. Although I acknowledge that people have their own religion to try to explain the unexplainable, I also see that religion is inherently exclusionary. People who believe in a religion are predisposed to think they are right and the other thousand or so religions are wrong. I don't want to convert anyone; that's not my place to do so. But, every social injustice stems from religion so for me it just seems wrong to follow any religion. I thought coming out as gay was hard enough but coming out as an atheist to my mom was dang hard. I went to Catholic grade school and a Jesuit high school so for me to not follow a religion was definitely as a shocker but ironically it was the only way to absolve myself of the hypocrisy that is religion. To preach acceptance and love but then turn your back on an entire group of people is flat out wrong.

I dated this guy who, when the topic of religion was brought up, told me that he was spiritual but not religious. This didn't make much sense to me at the time but I completely get where he was coming from. He believed that there had to be some origin for the universe and some deity was responsible for this but he, like me, saw that a human formed religion was absurd. How can any mortal even begin to comprehend what some god intended for history? It just doesn't make sense. The universe is almost 14 billions years old. The earth is less than 5 billions years old. Humans have been on earth for a couple hundred thousand years. How on gods green earth, pun intended, can we even begin to speculate as to the nature of creation?

When it comes to religions accepting LGBTQ if your religion doesn't accept you for who you are then there is something wrong with your religion and here in lies the problem. When someone asks me why I am an atheist I always ask them the question, "If someone is born on a planet millions of light years away and has absolutely no chance to worship the same god as you do, what happens to them?". Or my personal favorite, "All loving, all knowing, all powerful. Now pick two because you can't have all three".

I really don't want to convert anybody but if it makes you think then I'll take it. I am an atheist but in absolutely no way does that make me a bad person. I live a better life than most religious people do so if when I die I do come across some final judgment, I have the highest confidence that I will "get in".

If my life of goodness doesn't cut it Troye Sivan said it best,
    - "So if I'm losing a piece of me, maybe I don't want heaven"
    - "Without losing a piece of me, how do I get to heaven"