1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stereotypes

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Storm101, May 1, 2017.

1. Storm101

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, I have been wondering about the different stereotypes that can be shown in the community. I just want to see what you guys think about it. I myself am not the stereotype at all of a gay guy. I would love to hear your opinions on it :thumbsup:

2. deepwaters7

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Being closeted, I'm not a stereotype. On the surface that is, deep down, I'm more of a stereotypical gay guy. Something about it I really like, don't really know what, just something.

3. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think I do "gay stuff" but in a way that people think I'm just super confident and don't give AF. More in a "Oh Hm03" kind of way rather than "he's obviously gay"

#3 HM03, May 1, 2017
    Last edited: May 1, 2017
  4. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When I'm around other gays they say I appear gay. When I'm around other heteros they don't have a clue.

5. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    Well I think that it's kind of obvious that I'm gay? Like maybe personality wise or something. But I'm not a stereotype and I have a dislike for guys who want to be that stereotype because it's not my thing.

6. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think sometimes stereotypes do have bearing. Growing up, I displayed many of the stereotypes and there are some that I'm sure I display now. I think people should be careful about basing a person's sexuality on whether or not they fit certain stereotypes. There are exceptions. Plus, growing up with people constantly bringing up your stereotypical behaviors can be extremely stressful.

7. HerRainbow

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I was thinking the same thing recently so it's a good question! I wouldn't say I fit the bi stereotype really. But I definitely know how I feel :slight_smile: what does it say about you if you fit the stereotype? And do you think how you express yourself changes over time?

8. SkyAbove

SkyAbove Guest

I was definitely a tomboy as a child. I'd play with cars and go to explore nature, I remember that I loved chasing girls on the playground at school and I had a lot of friends who were boys. I hated such things as skirts and other girly clothes. Reaching puberty I changed, I started to dress more girly (no skirts still though) but still a bit tomboyish. Now I'm in my twenties and I'm kind of a sporty and feminine woman, and my mindset is still the 'I'm in charge' one. I find it very interesting that what once was uncomfortable (like a nice very womanly dress) is now something I feel confident in, and some other days I'm a total tomboy. I just go with what feels comfortable day by day.

9. BostonStranger

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is there even a bi stereotype? The only stereotype I can think of is having sex with loads of people all the time and that's quite the opposite for me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. Justinian20

Well I'd say elements of the gay stereotype do fit me, but then I lack some elements of the gay stereotype. I'll say I'm closer to the stereotype than I am not, but those bits of me that don't fit the gay stereotype I am not changing them because they are a part of me and who I am.

I just be myself, sure I love Pink(the colour), I have a good fashion sense for a male, I love Madonna and Britney Spears although sometimes I don't want to admit it. I sometimes walk a little femme. It's just who I am, that part of me which isn't stereotypical, I love History and videogames(RPG's and RTS and turn-based strategy games).

So sure I have elements which fit and I have elements that don't fit the stereotype.

11. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm a unique individual. Nobody else like me (!)(!)
    I don't follow stereotypes

12. Dryad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some people say I look straight, some people say I look totally gay. I have short hair on my head and body hair everywhere. And I'm a vegetarian. And I watch OITNB. Enough stereotypes? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

13. sandrew255

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Which stereotypes are you talking about? I can be quite camp at times, but really that is more about not policing my behaviour anymore. I do enjoy musical theatre, and I was a bit of a non-sporty loner at school. As I'm from the UK I notice that British and US stereotypes are different. You say that you don't fit the gay/bi stereotype, but what would you say that was? Modern (I'm 53 and can remember when there was no internet or mobile phones!) sterotypes are different from when I was a teenager, so I don't think that being gay or bi results in specific character traits, but I do think that growing up outside the norm has its effect on us.

14. Worker Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I identified as a lesbian I would say I was stereotypical (My appearance is no different now I just identify differently). I didn't really like it but it was just the way I presented myself in a way I was comfortable and as a result everyone assumed I was gay and when walking with a female friend people automatically assumed she was my gf.

15. Storm101

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do agree with that, and I do understand that stereotypes differ between generations. Im just curious at why some people act the stereotype naturally and some don't. For example, I do not match the modern stereotype at all. I don't have a quote "gay twang" in my voice, I dont have a feminine composure, and i'm certainly not tidy. I just wonder on why some people follow it and others don't.

16. Mahidevran

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    but what actually are these "gay stereotypes"? *is confused*
    after doing a quick research on Google, I've found a website that provides some of the most common stereotypes. *be prepared for a really long post* :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: let's see then:

- “Gay men are all feminine”
    oh no. my appearance is androgynous (and androgynous =/= feminine!), but overall I'm a pretty masculine guy. in behaviour, interests, personality and all that jazz. as for my appearance, I wear make up and corsets (yes!) + I have long, dyed hair (dreadlocks actually), and these are the only things about me that may be potentially feminine.
    for example, I have always wanted to join the army - being a soldier was (and still is) one of the biggest dreams of my life. I just got rejected due to my health issues.

- “Gay men are into fashion”
    I'm not into mainstream fashion, I don't give a shit about it. I'm a cybergoth, I have my own style that is pretty futuristic in nature, some people even said I kind of resemble a robot. yay me.
    I don't even know what's fashionable nowadays! I wear lots of black sometimes mixed with neon green, I love corsets, combat boots, combat trousers and such, chains, fishnets and other things like that. and I like myself this way.

- “Gay men love pop music”
    hell, no. I've never liked pop music, I mostly find it boring, silly and uninspiring. (no offence for anyone!! it's just my personal opinion about music, not about people who like it).
    my favourite music is industrial (in all its variety, including all these post-industrial fusions like aggrotech or powernoise - actually being especially fond of these two, but not limited). yeah, it's that dark, noisy and aggressive electronic music that is full of negativity. I also like some metal, but to lesser extent.

- “Gay men are attracted to all men and can’t control their desires”
    nah. I have my 'types' - I’m mostly fond of other cybergoths and rivetheads, also other goths. but I develop feelings for someone only after getting to know them. I can’t even imagine being attracted to every man existing, just like... how?

- “Gay men are obsessed with sex”
    God, no. I'm not very sexual, but if I happen to do it, I do it only with my boyfriend because I love him, and loving him is the only reason why I might sometimes agree to do it with him. but there are lots of more interesting things we can do together than just having sex. seriously.

- “Gay men are not relationship-oriented”
    just like... w00t? I can't imagine my life without my beloved anymore. I love him with my whole heart, and he loves me. we want to stay together until we die, or preferably even longer. I can’t even imagine anyone else by my side.

so yeah, that's what I found and if so, then I don't fit any gay stereotype at all.

17. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I own guns and a modified 1 ton 4x4 diesel truck. And have actually used my truck to move a friend's 16x70 mobile home, with all of his belongings still in it.
    My favorite food group is 'animal'
    I primarily listen to rock or metal
    My body type is orc/cave troll

However

I play D&D, Pathfinder, Exalted, have been the DM a couple times
    I watch anime and read manga
    I hate NASCAR and drag racing
    I wish people would stop using their "god" to treat others like subhuman