1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wolf whistling

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by flikflak1, May 2, 2017.

1. flikflak1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What's everyone's thoughts on wolf whistling? Have you ever wolf whistled at someone on the street? And should it be made a hate crime? Discuss!

2. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Catcalling isn't cute, nor do I think people appreciate it--and then get harassed or assaulted for not acknowledging the person.

3. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was whistled at by a gay man once. I was flattered, but that was the vain side of me overtaking for a moment there.

4. Lizz10

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Luck you, I have never been whistled at, nor have I whistled at anyone, why? Because I'm a small teenage ginger that nobody really likes

5. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's kind of dumb I guess, but it certainly shouldn't be illegal.

I mean, it would be different if cat callers were coming up to you and following you or something.

I don't really see anything wrong with it unless they are being explicit or creepy about it.

6. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally, I don't like the thought of someone "wolf-whistling" at me. I'd find it creepy and annoying.

7. Xochipilli

I AOOOOOGA internally when I see a shexy stud, but nothing more. I would probably feel uncomfortable if someone whistled at me. It's actually pretty rude. Best to keep to oneself. :lol:

8. ARB

ARB

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

This made me grin real big! I think it would be flattering :slight_smile: But catcalling in general seems a little barbaric.

9. SomeUsername

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh hell no. As an AFAB person I've had way too many experiences of guys objectifying, underestimating, and harassing me in a sexualized way- and then acting like I should be flattered or it's not a big deal. It seems like AMAB people are often less likely to object so I don't know if there's a difference in experiences or something else? Either way I wouldn't make it a hate crime unless the catcaller does something crudely explicit or threatening.

10. MaoKingofcats

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's really weird and I think it's best if its kept to oneself. Yea I agree with @Assassin'sKat I don't think it needs to be illegal unless they just start following or acting creepy towards you. I have never been whistled at or whistled to someone but mostly because I'm too shy to even do that to anyone I find attractive >/////> I can only oogle at someone and when a hot guy/beautiful girl looks at me I can't help but just blush and look away. I hate blushing easily it's just embarrassing.

#10 MaoKingofcats, May 2, 2017
    Last edited: May 2, 2017
  11. theladyinblack

To be honest, living in a college town, you just get used to it. Everybody is trying to get with everybody. It doesn't bother me. I only really get bothered by aggressive come ons that continue too long after I say I have a boyfriend or am not interested.

12. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not sure I've ever been whistled at, but one of my male friends at work once literally cat-called me. (Here kitty kitty, kss kss) I think it was more of a tongue-in-cheek thing than anything else. I used to feed the feral cats at work, so I just assumed it was a bit of playful teasing. Well, whether or not he meant it, I had a good laugh either way :lol:

13. RileyWeaves

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think wolf-whistling should be illegal, but I think I've only ever seen/heard it when the whistlers are drunk (or acting like it) or if it's between people who know each other. I think that strangers who whistle at others are really weird, and if I was ever on the receiving end, it would make me uncomfortable. (People making eye contact with me if I don't know them makes me uncomfortable though, so it could just be me.)

That sounds like an AWESOME friend.

14. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I find it to be annoying and I get the occasional inappropriate comment when I walk down the street, I don't get why people do it. I've had the opposite as well, people hurling insults at me. Once had a teenage guy (whom I didn't know but was clearly a student) come up to me on the street and say "Ew, I'd never have sex with that", pointing at me while the rest of his friends cheered and laughed. I felt like saying "the feeling is mutual", but I didn't and instead just walked off.

Most of the comments I get are from random teenage guys I don't know that go to my college, they're usually prostitution jokes "How much for behind the bush?", "Fancy a quick one?" :dry: and I don't get physical whistling very often. Even though they don't mean it and are just joking, I don't find these comments to be very welcoming.

I know a girl who changed the route she takes to college just to avoid these comments, and when people start doing stuff like that you know there's a problem.

#14 Canterpiece, May 3, 2017
    Last edited: May 3, 2017
  15. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have been whistled at, when I was 12. It was a group of teenage boys, who "looked 16" according to my mother. I was a little flattered at the time but I felt weird too. I've mostly just encountered teenage boys doing it to look "cool", hopefully they grow out of it. Most I've known have.

Now I think it's gross and annoying. But still, I don't think it should be illegal because it's just words and it's really not worth the time. And no, I've never catcalled or wolf whistled at someone.

16. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Is wolf-whistling the gender opposite of cat calling? But regardless, I think there are cuter ways of getting a cute guys attention.