1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD shop owner probably suspects my gayness

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Justinian20, May 3, 2017.

1. Justinian20

I have a store I go to buy all my LGBT movies and I have bought a whole bunch of movies all of them LGBT. So I reckon the store owner probably suspects I'm gay cause I buy so many gay films at his shop.

I'm just asking cause I'm curious, what would people actually think of someone who buys lots of gay films.

2. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, it depends. Does the owner give off any indication of remembering you? Do you go in to the store often? Assuming he does recognize you whenever you go in to buy a movie, it's possible he could suspect you. Trying to imagine myself being in a similar situation as this shop owner, provided I did recognize somebody who would mainly buy LGBT related media, I would probably have some sort of suspicion but I probably would never ask about it simply because it wouldn't really be my place to know personal info like that about somebody unless if they were to confirm it in some way without me even asking it.

3. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    As a cashier...it really depends. Is this a small mom and pop type store? Cause if so, they might actually remember you if you're a regular. But that doesn't mean they remember precisely which videos you've been buying. I work at Walmart and i recognize and know all the regulars, but there's no way i'd remember something as specific as them buying lots of LGBT videos unless something about it jumped out at me. Like if they asked me if i'd seen it or if it was a movie i'd seen and liked, something like that.

4. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    He's probably seen people buy worse. I wouldn't worry about it too much especially, if his behavior towards you hasn't changed.

5. Justinian20

I'm not worried, I just kind of wonder about it.

6. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I were the owner, I'd pick out some yaoi for you, and upon seeing you again, ask "the usual?" with a wink.

In all seriousness though, it is possible. But I doubt any harm can come of it. I am sure DVD shop owners have seen a lot with what people buy, so it is nothing out of the ordinary. And anyway, what can they do to you if they do know you are gay? Nothing threatening.

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd say almost certainly, if you're in there regularly.