Empty Closets Coming Out Resources and a Safe Place to Chat
Welcome Forum Chat Room Resources News Members

Go Back   Empty Closets - A safe online community for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender people coming out > General Chat > Chit Chat

Chit Chat General discussion of topics of interest to LGBT people of all ages.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 7th May 2017, 04:45 AM   #1
The cantering mantelpiece.

Orientation: Lesbian
Out Status: Update in progress, do not restart your computer!

Tournaments Won: 2

Has having a dyscalculia diagnosis helped you?

This question is mostly aimed at members here who have been officially tested and diagnosed with dyscalculia. Throughout my life, people have suggested I might have dyscalculia, but whenever I have looked into getting tested, I'm always told that having a dyscalculia diagnosis is pointless because barely anyone has heard of it.

I also get told that dyscalculia on its own without dyslexia is uncommon, and as such not many places test for dyscalculia by itself, but a lot of places test for dyslexia.

So, I have a few questions for people that are diagnosed with dyscalculia. First, has being diagnosed helped you in anyway? If yes, how? How long did it take you to get a diagnosis? At what age were you first diagnosed? How did it take you to get a diagnosis, and what did you have to do to get there? What advice do you have for someone like me who thinks they may have it?

Thoughts?
Old 7th May 2017, 06:14 AM   #2
EC Addict

Re: Has having a dyscalculia diagnosis helped you?

I don't have dyscalculia but in regards to your last question

"What advice do you have for someone like me who thinks they may have it?"

Tell someone such as your parents or mathematics teacher as soon as possible. If you have A-levels in mathematics then you can get some extra help, which wouldn't otherwise be available to you.
Secrets5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2017, 07:10 AM   #3
The cantering mantelpiece.
Threadstarter

Orientation: Lesbian
Out Status: Update in progress, do not restart your computer!

Tournaments Won: 2

Re: Has having a dyscalculia diagnosis helped you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secrets5 View Post
I don't have dyscalculia but in regards to your last question

"What advice do you have for someone like me who thinks they may have it?"

Tell someone such as your parents or mathematics teacher as soon as possible. If you have A-levels in mathematics then you can get some extra help, which wouldn't otherwise be available to you.
My parents are often the ones that ask my teachers about if there's any help available, and they're at a loss too about finding services. As for my maths teacher, I have mentioned what I find difficult and she got me in touch with the teacher who's in charge of extra time and exam conditions and I went through a few tests to see if I qualify but I don't. Since my writing speeds are fine they can't offer me any more time, I scored low on a few of the tests (rapid naming with numbers, and judgement of space) but that by itself they can't offer help for.

I don't have A-levels in maths, but I am re-doing GCSE level maths for the second time at College (so this is my third time doing GCSE maths if you count year 11).

I've asked the College about testing for dyscalculia, but they don't offer it- they only offer support to those that have a diagnosis, and they don't have any information available about where someone could go to get tested at all. I brought up these concerns with the extra time manager, but she told me not to worry about it and that I should just focus on passing my exam and that I just need to work harder and that trying to get a diagnosis won't help me.

So yeah...

Last edited by Canterpiece; 7th May 2017 at 07:12 AM..
Canterpiece is offline   Reply With Quote