1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Charitable Donations

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AlexJames, May 10, 2017.

1. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Do you guys donate money? I would like to start donating money every month to a few organizations. I have my budget all worked out - bills, groceries, etc - and i've included donations on it. One of the few good things mom did when i was growing up was donating. She would send care packages to my cousin overseas when he was in the army, support needy families in her church around the holidays, and donate to the local food pantry.

I've made up a list of organizations i could easily think of - The Wounded Warrior Project, The Abandoned Pet Project, The Trevor Project, and Doctors Without Borders. I'd love to donate to an LGBT organization or two, but there's just so many out there. I'd need to find my cat's paperwork but i'd also like to donate to the two rescue groups that our family cats came from if that's possible. Two of them came from the same group, and the third we don't have much information on but whoever raised her she was taken such good care of. The Abandoned Pet Project supports a veterinary clinic that treats homeless and abandoned pets, it has a youtube channel that's how i know about - its called Vet Ranch, the guy's a former army vet turned veterinarian.

But anyways, getting on a tangent there...my point is, who do you all donate to? I tried the BBB site but it doesn't have information on everybody. What are some good charities that you guys know of or already donate to - charities that put a lot of their donations towards their mission, that are transparent, and actually have results. My interests are in LGBT, disadvantaged or vulnerable kids, pets, and veterans.

2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, I do. But with so many groups, there's only a couple I have really in mind.

- Scope UK (I think this charity is only in the UK that helps children and their families with disabilities. I don't really donate money but I buy lots of stuff from their stores and I donate a lot back too)
    - Cystic Fibrosis UK (A genetic condition that affects the lungs and digestive system. *I would like to donate money when I earn enough to make a big difference since I don't see many 'coin pots' around stores so I'd have to cheque it directly to them)
    - Then a charity that a) helps children in the UK in poverty with education and b) helps children in foreign poorer areas get to school since I want to be an educator/educational researcher and I believe a good education, especially in the early years, is a key factor (but not necessarily everything) in gaining success.
    - Multiple Sclerosis Society (A neurological condition. *. )

These are the main ones, but I shop in charity stores a lot so money goes there as well. I have often felt very pressured by this, to give money. Not because I don't want to, but there are a lot of charities out there (sometimes duplicating in causes) so it becomes very hard to give to every one as an individual and maybe as a whole if one wants to make a big difference to a charity.

#2 Secrets5, May 10, 2017
    Last edited: May 10, 2017
  3. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Remember: Empty Closets accepts donations! If you enjoy the forum and/or if you think the website does a good job supporting LGBT people, donating is a great way to support EC!

Read more about it here: www.emptyclosets.com/donations.php

:slight_smile: