1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

employment non-discrimination act

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by shain250, Jul 5, 2007.

1. shain250

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    you love your job your supervisors give you top rating then one day a colleague finds out you're gay a week later you find your desk emptied into a box you're fired the reason your sexual orientation

heres the worst part firing you for being gay was 100% legal

in 31 states you can be fired solely because you're gay-and if your transgender thats 39 states

hrc is determined to end this in justice by passing the employment non-discrimination act (ENDA) congress will vote on this vital legislation soon

current federal laws protect- workers against discrimination based on their race,gender,religion,national origin and disability but not based on sexual orientation or gender identity

ENDA-is not about special treatment it does not excuse poor job performance it simply gives gay and transgendered workers the same rights and protections as their colleagues

nearly 90% of fortune 500 companies-now have included sexual orientation in their non-discrimination policies its time the government caught up with the private sector

www.PassENDAnow.org

2. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I think it is illegal to discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation in the UK now, though of course companies can always find reasons to get rid of people they don't want...... The company I work for is gay run and about 40% of the staff are gay, though that is an exception to the norm.

That is exactly how it should be. We do not want special treatment, we want to be treated equally. Straights do not seem to understand this and think we are after some sort of special treatment. The same rights as straights is not special, though it is often denied to us.

3. SadConfusedBandGeek

:'( THATS MEAN! lol
    I honestly dont see how straight people think that who we fall in love with is going to affect them OR our competancy to do our work! ITS STUPID!

4. 24601

Wow that sucks. Do you, by chance, have a link to a list of the states where that is the case? Wait a sec, I just had to rewrite this entire post because I thought you had been fired. Re-reading your post, you don't actually say that... whoops...

Also, it appears I'm vulnerable, living in PA (although only 16 years old). Does anyone have more links to information regarding these state laws? I browsed the site linked in the OP, but I can't find a whole lot of non-biased (sorry) information. Thanks in advance.

Anyway, if anyone has more information than Wikipedia or the other site, it'd be cool to have.

#4 24601, Jul 5, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2007
  5. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    The Human Rights Campaign (www.hrc.org) has good information on laws for your state.
    Here is the states that have passed anti-discrimination based on sexual orientation and/or gender identity. I am proud to say that I was the first invited testimony for this law in Oregon. I gave testimony beside executives from the ACLU, Nike, and Basic Rights Oregon. It was the most exciting day! In fact, here is a TV clip with me in it!

http://www.katu.com/news/6463012.html?video=YHI&t=a

6. 24601

Becky you're so awesome. People like you rock! :thumbsup:

7. CrimsonThunder

What? That still happens... I thought that was so 80s. :confused:

I'm pretty sure in Australia that cannot happen. I told my boss that someone called me gay (as a payout) and he got in huge shit.