1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some thoughts about friendship and alone time.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Canterpiece, May 11, 2017.

1. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I just feel like sharing what's on my mind. I have two great friends in my life, we have fun hanging out and stuff but sometimes I just feel like having a break in conversation. One of these friends I talk to outside of college, but sometimes I just get fed up of talking to them even though they're still happy to speak to me, and it's not like I'm annoyed or hate them, it's just sometimes I need some alone time to think with my thoughts, or perhaps talk to someone else because I want to talk about something that perhaps my friend and I wouldn't necessarily talk about.

It can be difficult though because I never really know how to communicate this desire to be left alone, and when I do, it can come of like I'm annoyed at them or I'm feeling sad when I'm not. When I say I don't feel like talking they always think something is wrong and I can have a hard time trying to convince them otherwise.I don't want them worrying about me, or thinking I'm annoyed at them, but at the same time, sometimes I just need space- you know?

Anybody else able to relate to this feeling?

#1 Canterpiece, May 11, 2017
    Last edited: May 11, 2017
  2. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just explain introversion, which is basically what this is. You need time to yourself and can talk another time.

3. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've been on the other end of that equation and it's something I really struggle with. There's someone I really like and feel like I connect with very well sometimes, but often when I think things are at their best between us he'll withdraw a bit and we won't talk for a couple days.

It's difficult for the reason you've mentioned; it's impossible to know with absolute certainty why someone needs that break. There could be something wrong they don't want to confide in you about, they might not want to talk to you in particular, or it could be one of those days where they just want to be alone and not interact with anybody. If it's truly the latter then I'm completely understanding and it doesn't bother me at all, but it requires a real leap of faith to believe that; sometimes it's completely fine, and at other times I battle with thoughts that he's just too nice to tell me to go away.

I don't know where I was going with this; I know nothing I've said is very helpful. Just know that it's not at all unusual or bad to want to get away from the world for a bit and just be alone with your thoughts, but try to understand why people might be skeptical of the reasoning. It may be annoying at times, and I certainly appreciate not wanting people to worry when nothing is wrong, but it comes from a good place -- people care.

4. LonerGirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can relate. I'm an introvert, my best friend is an extrovert. I can only handle so much talking & hanging out before I need some alone time to "recharge" & relax (if that makes sense?). My friend doesn't always understand & automatically comes to the conclusion that something must be wrong, even when its not. I don't really have any advice besides just being honest & reassuring them but sometimes all you can do is learn to accept their differences.