Empty Closets Coming Out Resources and a Safe Place to Chat
Welcome Forum Chat Room Resources News Members

Go Back   Empty Closets - A safe online community for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender people coming out > General Chat > Chit Chat

Chit Chat General discussion of topics of interest to LGBT people of all ages.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18th May 2017, 07:01 PM   #21
Echo in the Dark

Orientation: Bisexual
Out Status: Family, most friends, and anyone who asks

Re: why is it so hard for humans to accept homosexuality??

Yeah, and you know what? From my perspective, organized religion is very ignorant - read my previous post on this thread where I talked about ignorance (not focused on religion) about why there is non-acceptance of LGBTQ people.

In terms of religion, though, IMO there are many basic positive moral understandings and beliefs to be gained from most of the major world religions. However, when it comes to humans 'interpreting' the written words - or even, in some cases, the fact that humans have already potentially interpreted or limited the interpretation of their God's WORD would seem to limit the validity of that interpretation, wouldn't it?

For most of us, a spiritual belief is extremely important. I'm not trying to focus on one type of belief or another. Nor am I trying to dissuade anyone from their own personal belief. We are all individuals. Having a belief in 'something' higher is important to many of us and I, certainly, have no evidence to the contrary. What I would say is that I believe that each of us have to do what we do to support our beliefs here on earth.

Having said all of that, the idea of acceptance or non-acceptance of homosexuality revolves back (to me) on ignorance. Whether it is the ignorance of Christians, based on a human mis-interpretation of the Bible or personal beliefs/ignorance.

My 2cents.
Old 18th May 2017, 08:19 PM   #22
Well Known

Quantumreality, of course you are correct that great errors can be made when it comes to interpreting any written word that claims to have divine inspiration. I believe human beings who claim to speak for such writings should carry such a task with the most serious and humble demeanor imaginable. I cannot speak for other faiths, but Christians believe that all scripture is inspired by the Holy Spirit, and that same Spirit will help those who are genuinely seeking truth and God's will as they examine Scripture. Such a belief does indeed require an element of faith, but faith is also an indispensable part of what it means to be a Christian. We are not necessarily given all the answers yet to every question we have, but we are to trust in the goodness of God when specific answers remain mysterious.

Any person that accepts a belief system is responsible for living out that belief system in a way that pays accurate homage to it. They must seek truth with a passion and then make their lives fight into that framework. Each person must honestly do this at his or her own pace, and each person's walk may be a little different.
Hunter8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2017, 11:48 AM   #23
Something cleaver and witty here

Orientation: Bisexual
Out Status: A few people

Just remember that there are still people who think the world is flat....

And that should answer pretty much any questions about humanity you have.
Old 19th May 2017, 03:33 PM   #24

Orientation: Lesbian
Out Status: To One Person

Religion - but that's from my experience.
1PennyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2017, 08:40 PM   #25

Orientation: I like guys, but I don't know about girls...
Out Status: Only to my Mum, a friend of hers and a taxi driver

Just my take on this.

I agree that it mainly is to do with religion itself. I'm not going to say what's already been explained by the others in this thread, but being anything other than heterosexual also has or had resulted in people losing their jobs and getting life sentences in prison or even being sentenced to death. Like the others have said, there are horrible people in this world.

In the UK, before same-sex sexual activity was de-criminalized, anyone who was found out to like people of the same sex and happened to have performed sexual activity were convicted of "gross indecency" or "performing lewd acts"(according to the now-repealed Labouchere Amendment) as a criminal offence and if they were in the Army, they were dishonourably discharged. And literally anyone who knows the history behind Alan Turing knows he was chemically castrated as a punishment after his criminal conviction of "gross indecency".

Of course there's gay marriage and no-one is being prosecuted for liking the same sex now(in the UK, at least), and the people being previously convicted are getting royal pardons, but societal repercussions still exist and some of those same people are still reeling from the effects of their past convictions, whether they are having difficulties in getting a job or being punished and ex-communicated from their families.

Last edited by Bournville98; 20th May 2017 at 08:46 PM.. Reason: Re-wording...
Bournville98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2017, 12:08 AM   #26
Empty Closets Advisor
Advisor

Orientation: Gay
Out Status: Tell people when it arises in conversation

I think it's partly due to religion, or to be more precise a strict and dogmatic interpretation of religion, propagated by some churches and religious institutions. But I've also known plenty of non-religious people who simply fear difference and diversity in the world. If you're not like them, you're an outsider. It's not just the LGBT community they fear, but other minorities (and majorities) too. I used to respond to these people with rage and contempt, but increasingly, I pity them. Their experience of the world - of life itself, is reduced and limited by their ignorance and that's rather sad actually.